Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 165

Thread: HCG, IF and Ketosis - the Unholy Trinity of Metabolic Downregulation page 3

  1. #21
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    I disagree. I think that the most common diet in the US is low fat, high carb, lots of cardio and there are enough fat women running every day and eating low fat, low calorie diets to prove that lowers your metabolism too.

    I think the reality is that FAT loss is slow, and no amount of starving yourself be it through ketosis or low fat is going to make it faster. The only solution is eating a generally healthy diet and being patient.
    Yes lots of cardio is very dangerous on any diet. I was not factoring in exercise.

  2. #22
    richard's Avatar
    richard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    394
    the problem with ketosis is that most practioners eat way too much protein. The protein triggers a cascade of reactions similar to carb intake and stalls them ou.

    I think a ketogenic diet has to have moderate protein, similar to Ron Rosesdale's dietary principles.

  3. #23
    Omni's Avatar
    Omni is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I agree that everyones case is individual and i dont blame all problems on lack of carbs. But even you cant disagree with the amount of problems people have with longterm ketosis with zero refeeds. Sure there will be problems with not enough calories, too much protein and or pUFA. But the common theme is carbs or lack there of.
    I'm still out with the Jury on the whole carb thing, there are plenty of examples of individuals both male and female thriving in ketosis.
    You have to be careful when using that type of logic that because the addition of carbs improves symptoms, then the lack of carbs must have caused their symptoms.

    Most everyone here looks at studies and disputes that very same logic by looking for other confounding variables, in the situations here the confounders is that most everyone that has had troubles with going VLC has come from a long history of disease, dieting & metabolic dysfunction.
    We know that there are significant metabolic adjustments required for someone to adapt to fat as a primary fuel after being dependant on glucose most of their lives, if they attempt this transition whilst their body is on the fringe of nutrition then the metabolic slowdown is completely expected, the body will do whatever it can to survive, if it does not have the energy to support basic maintenance and you ask it to develop additional metabolic machinery, what other option is there.

    We are much wiser now with hormonal therapies, yes it may be appropriate to supplement low levels so that symptoms are relieved and quality of life is improved, but we know that the underlying causes of the imbalances need to be adressed so that full health can be regained.

    So in the same way with carbohydrate, yes by all means add more in to improve the way you feel, but continue to look for other underlying issues that need to be corrected. I do see the ability to maintain healthy ketosis as one measure of health, not that you have to always be in ketosis, but to fall apart at the seams when carbohydrate is restricted does not bode well for evolutionary survival.

    I do not buy into the "we're all different" argument in this, we may all have different underlying problems that need to be addressed, but IMO there will be very few individuals, when their health is fully restored can not maintain healthy ketosis.

    We did not evolve in a "Garden of Eden" type of scenario, with a full pantry, there were significant bouts of food scarcity, metabolic failure at that point results in being something elses lunch and hence extinction, this was obviously not the case as we're all here to debate the issue.

  4. #24
    0Angel0's Avatar
    0Angel0 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    180
    I've lost over 100 lbs doing both ketosis and IF and am still waiting on some metabolic down regulating nonsense to happen. I do lose slow, at least it feels that way to me. The only way the pounds "fall off" me is by doing extremely low calorie levels a la the PSMF. That is, IMO, not healthy or sustainable long term and to lose 100 lbs it took being in it for the long haul. I chose Atkins then found Paleo and did a Primal/Paleo version of Atkins and have never looked back.

    I incorporated IF eating twice a day within a 6-8 hour eating window because I'm never hungry in the morning and if I eat when not hungry it just makes me ravenous throughout the day. I eat brunch and dinner with a snack of iced coffee with cream or coconut milk almost every day. Calorie range was 1300-1500 usually closer to 1300. Whole foods, watching net carbs (which is just subtracting fiber when your eating mainly whole natural foods), high fat but not going overboard, and exercise almost everyday. The only "magic" has been dropping the carbs esp higher sugar fruits and "healthy" whole grains. Other than that it's just common sense, eating the right foods, not too much of them, and moving my body. Clearly the IF/ketosis combo works just fine for me.

  5. #25
    MEversbergII's Avatar
    MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    2,326
    I IF pretty regularly, mainly because I am rarely hungry in the morning and too lazy / cheap to bring lunch to work. I don't track how many calories I eat, though. Don't think I have any metabolic issues, but who knows.

    M.

  6. #26
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    I'm still out with the Jury on the whole carb thing, there are plenty of examples of individuals both male and female thriving in ketosis.
    You have to be careful when using that type of logic that because the addition of carbs improves symptoms, then the lack of carbs must have caused their symptoms.

    Most everyone here looks at studies and disputes that very same logic by looking for other confounding variables, in the situations here the confounders is that most everyone that has had troubles with going VLC has come from a long history of disease, dieting & metabolic dysfunction.
    We know that there are significant metabolic adjustments required for someone to adapt to fat as a primary fuel after being dependant on glucose most of their lives, if they attempt this transition whilst their body is on the fringe of nutrition then the metabolic slowdown is completely expected, the body will do whatever it can to survive, if it does not have the energy to support basic maintenance and you ask it to develop additional metabolic machinery, what other option is there.

    We are much wiser now with hormonal therapies, yes it may be appropriate to supplement low levels so that symptoms are relieved and quality of life is improved, but we know that the underlying causes of the imbalances need to be adressed so that full health can be regained.

    So in the same way with carbohydrate, yes by all means add more in to improve the way you feel, but continue to look for other underlying issues that need to be corrected. I do see the ability to maintain healthy ketosis as one measure of health, not that you have to always be in ketosis, but to fall apart at the seams when carbohydrate is restricted does not bode well for evolutionary survival.

    I do not buy into the "we're all different" argument in this, we may all have different underlying problems that need to be addressed, but IMO there will be very few individuals, when their health is fully restored can not maintain healthy ketosis.

    We did not evolve in a "Garden of Eden" type of scenario, with a full pantry, there were significant bouts of food scarcity, metabolic failure at that point results in being something elses lunch and hence extinction, this was obviously not the case as we're all here to debate the issue.
    Its so funny when people say that "people thrive on ketosis". Can you please give me some examples of people thriving on full time ketosis?

    The evolutionary argument for ketosis is ridiculous. Just because humans can survive by means of ketosis does not mean that it is a healthy part of our survival. No one was thriving back in the day when in ketosis because they were starving at the same time. Thinking about it that way, it would be something people should strive to avoid at all costs to stay in peak physical health.

    Also evolution covers millions of years and you do not know in what conditions we evolved. Yes there were times on starvation and food scarcity but there were probably also thousands of years of abundance as well. Who know what part of that evolution impacts us the most. Is it a constant supply of nutriants that keep our species at optimal health or is it the times of famine that make us resilient? Could be both but since i have no need to fear a famine, i will choose to fuel myself as optimally as possible, 24/7/365.

  7. #27
    janie's Avatar
    janie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Its so funny when people say that "people thrive on ketosis". Can you please give me some examples of people thriving on full time ketosis?

    The evolutionary argument for ketosis is ridiculous. Just because humans can survive by means of ketosis does not mean that it is a healthy part of our survival. No one was thriving back in the day when in ketosis because they were starving at the same time. Thinking about it that way, it would be something people should strive to avoid at all costs to stay in peak physical health.

    Also evolution covers millions of years and you do not know in what conditions we evolved. Yes there were times on starvation and food scarcity but there were probably also thousands of years of abundance as well. Who know what part of that evolution impacts us the most. Is it a constant supply of nutriants that keep our species at optimal health or is it the times of famine that make us resilient? Could be both but since i have no need to fear a famine, i will choose to fuel myself as optimally as possible, 24/7/365.
    I'm an example of thriving in ketosis and have done so for over 4 years. Weight loss, muscle gain, lowered BP (114/74), improved lipids, no medications, more energy, younger looking skin, perfect dental visits, etc. People routinely think I much younger than my 67 years.
    Last edited by janie; 05-02-2013 at 11:14 AM.
    Starting Weight: 197.5
    Current Weight: 123
    Far healthier!

  8. #28
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    5,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Its so funny when people say that "people thrive on ketosis". Can you please give me some examples of people thriving on full time ketosis?
    Perhaps you could give us evidence of the thousands of people you claim you personally know who did Atkins and then followed up by deliberately integrating it with carb refeeds.

  9. #29
    Zach's Avatar
    Zach is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Perhaps you could give us evidence of the thousands of people you claim you personally know who did Atkins and then followed up by deliberately integrating it with carb refeeds.
    I said i have read thousands of personal experiences dealing with failed ketosis. The atkins diet is the biggest failure of the diet world.

  10. #30
    canuck416's Avatar
    canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sebastopol, CA
    Posts
    1,316
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think the key is constant variety. I'm currently going through a month long VLC with Refeeds trial and doing lots of strength training with weights. After this I'll probably up the carbs considerably eating more vegetables and fruit during the summer and add in some long slow distance running/hiking and perhaps switch over to some Crossfit and MovNat training. Then spend a month or two just powerlifting and sprinting. I love the variety and it seems to keep me fresh and enthused.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •