Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: HCG, IF and Ketosis - the Unholy Trinity of Metabolic Downregulation page 14

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    This is just a question, and I hope this isn't prying, or taken the wrong way...but...did whatever experience you had with your blood sugar cause you to come on a low carb forum to talk about eating a lot of carbs? I'm not saying you're trolling, I'm just wondering the motivation of being here (At the top it says, "Primal Living in the Modern World") is all.

Seems that there would be PLENTY of forums to have a journal, post a lot on, gain friends, etc. where the focus is somewhat similar to yours.

Of course, as Kennedy said in a famous speech, support and opposition are both necessary (The Very Word Secrecy is Repugnant). Maybe you provide the opposition?
    I have ate primally/paleo/low carb for years. I have done it all from all forms of IF to complete carnivory. Yes i am here to provide a reality check.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    @ Zach

I just think its a matter of magnitude or perception or whatever. I see where a simple diet of very digestible foods would be beneficial.... I just see it as the minority of people that require this while the majority can and should thrive on relatively whole foods in a state close to what our ancestors and/or a current day HG tribe may eat them. Obviously you would flip that to the majority needing the special diet and a minority in todays society thriving on the "primal" diet. I can't say I agree with you on the percentages. But oh well. I've never had a "this diet wrecked me" moment. I've been cruising along so my experience obviously gives me a different outlook.

jackaaron is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I have ate primally/paleo/low carb for years. I have done it all from all forms of IF to complete carnivory. Yes i am here to provide a reality check.
    Hey, that's cool. I'm all for the other side since I like to present it quite often myself.

I think it would be highly stressful for me to go from eating at 6am, 9am, 11:30a, 6pm, and maybe a few things later to one time a day. Stressful maybe isn't the word....impossible maybe?

But, I'm inching back a half hour a day, and it's only been 27 days, so, so far this is cake. When I finally get there, maybe I'll have a different attitude, but I REALLY like the way PK has laid out the whole idea behind IF.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackaaron View Post
    This is just a question, and I hope this isn't prying, or taken the wrong way...but...did whatever experience you had with your blood sugar cause you to come on a low carb forum to talk about eating a lot of carbs? I'm not saying you're trolling, I'm just wondering the motivation of being here (At the top it says, "Primal Living in the Modern World") is all.

Seems that there would be PLENTY of forums to have a journal, post a lot on, gain friends, etc. where the focus is somewhat similar to yours.

Of course, as Kennedy said in a famous speech, support and opposition are both necessary (The Very Word Secrecy is Repugnant). Maybe you provide the opposition?

I'm a newbie yet, but I did'nt think primal meant low carb neccessarily? For maintenance Mark recommends up to 150 carbs a day? Could someone clarify please-thanks!
    *~Sara~*

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    @ Zach

I just think its a matter of magnitude or perception or whatever. I see where a simple diet of very digestible foods would be beneficial.... I just see it as the minority of people that require this while the majority can and should thrive on relatively whole foods in a state close to what our ancestors and/or a current day HG tribe may eat them. Obviously you would flip that to the majority needing the special diet and a minority in todays society thriving on the "primal" diet. I can't say I agree with you on the percentages. But oh well. I've never had a "this diet wrecked me" moment. I've been cruising along so my experience obviously gives me a different outlook.
    I think we agree more then you think. I have never advocated that everyone needs to eat a high carb diet. It is completely individual and besides restricting seed oils, tons of excess fats, plant seeds and fiberous material, pretty much eat how you feel best. The only time i ever comment on here is when givig advice to someone whos current way is not working. Other ls just feel the need to antagonize me and i get painted as the sugar fiend.

Example, i was helping a few women whos current low carb diets werent working and we figured out a more reasonable diet that was lighter on the added fats, adding in a bit more of their favorite foods that were taboo, usually fruit and staying away from the higher omega 6 foods like nuts and factory pork and poultry. Hardly an extreme change but it had major effects on their energy, sleep and mood.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    I'm a newbie yet, but I did'nt think primal meant low carb neccessarily? For maintenance Mark recommends up to 150 carbs a day? Could someone clarify please-thanks!
    Yeah, you don't have to be LC. This is one of those individual things.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
    Yeah, primal doesn't necessarily mean low carb, but a lot of people who subscribe to the primal way of eating are really into low carb, if that makes any sense. Even Mark, I think, is really into low carb. But primal and low carb are definitely not synonyms. You can be perfectly primal and eat lots of primal carbs, like various tubers, fruit, and even rice. Many people are fine with honey and maple syrup. I personally use glucose as a sweetener whenever I need to sweeten things while cooking at home. But I really like maple syrup and will have that on occasion too.

But there is (and has been for as long as I can remember) a raging debate (to put it nicely) between those who advocate low carb and those who advocate high carb on this forum.

mom23kids is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, you don't have to be LC. This is one of those individual things.
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    Yeah, primal doesn't necessarily mean low carb, but a lot of people who subscribe to the primal way of eating are really into low carb, if that makes any sense. Even Mark, I think, is really into low carb. But primal and low carb are definitely not synonyms. You can be perfectly primal and eat lots of primal carbs, like various tubers, fruit, and even rice. Many people are fine with honey and maple syrup. I personally use glucose as a sweetener whenever I need to sweeten things while cooking at home. But I really like maple syrup and will have that on occasion too.

But there is (and has been for as long as I can remember) a raging debate (to put it nicely) between those who advocate low carb and those who advocate high carb on this forum.
    Gotcha-thanks
    *~Sara~*

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm another person who has benefited a lot from Zach and Derp's contribution to the forum. No one has all the answers, and at least being offered an alternative perspective allows you to make up your own mind.

And as an aside: you guys aren't even arguing about carbs vs fat anymore. You're arguing about arguing, lol
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    And as an aside: you guys aren't even arguing about carbs vs fat anymore. You're arguing about arguing, lol
    This is the point that gets me.

Also, Ray Peat has been offering this "alternate" perspective for years now. Anyone can go find out what he has to say anytime they want.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast