Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Momto3's Journey of Healing and Health page 8

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, gopintos!

Revisiting recommendations for PCOS. I had thought blood sugar was no longer an issue, but it apparently is. So it's time to reign things in a bit. I was surprised to see I am already at 81g of carbs by lunch! It's been from fruit. Berries and apple. Plus BBQ sauce, aloe juice and acacia powder. I want to keep the aloe and acacia for my healing gut. But it's back to berries for fruit and only once or twice. Time to focus on protein and veggies. Non starchy veggies.

Ok I feel better having recorded this. Now to follow the plan.
    Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
    Current: 146.8 - size 10/12
    Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

150.8. The scale is moving in the right direction. Yesterday I was 152.4. I got permission to go to the full dose of 1500mg of Metformin. My weight may be down because I only got 1400 calories in yesterday due to not feeling well from the medication. I was expecting an adjustment period.
    This week I've only been doing walks and yoga stretching. I am really focusing on reducing inflammation. I upped my dose of fish oil to help. Plus I'm really needing to relax about home schooling. I really don't think all these things are flaring is a coincidence.
    Here's my theory: by going off Metformin about a year ago my body was slowly going back to the insulin resistant state it had been. I was on birth control so it may have slowed it down, but once going off birth control my body was getting more and more inflamed. Weight gain, acne returning. Tendinitis in my shoulder, my knee hurting while running. More inflammation.

My hope: going back on the full dose of Metformin will allow my body to calm down. Plus other supplements to help

I am very curious about the hormone levels. My cycles have been 30 days. My temp charts show I'm ovulating. That great! Seems my PCOS is mostly affecting adrenals and androgens

We shall see. One day at a time.

My Journal

B: whey protein shake with coconut milk, aloe juice, chia seed, acacia powder, inositol, frozen berries, milk thistle, l-glutamine

As you can see my shake has almost become more medicinal than anything.

I'm on day 33 of my cycle and I'm not sure if it's on its way or not.

I got my hormones tested on day 23. If I did ovulate my progesterone is super low and my estrogen is high.

Testosterone 39
    Free testosterone .8

Pregnalone 74
    DHEA-S 259.4

Estrodiol 333.6. High
    Progesterone .6. Low
    Total Estrogen 365. High

Day 23 Luteal phase

Now I'm wondering if I truly was in my Luteal phase. The progesterone and estrogen levels match the follicular stage.... But I was on day 23. Either way, this cycle is too long.

As for my other hormones, with PCOS you expect testosterone to be high and mine is not.... But my jawline acne is returning. I've emailed the results to my NP, but haven't heard back yet.

I've been resting with regards to workouts. Still having trouble with my left shoulder and left knee.

5K mud run on Sunday!

My Journal

I finished the 5K mud run. I limped and walked a lot of it, but I completed all the obstacles! I iced and heated my left knee when I got home and I was surprised that the next day I was ok!

Today I started the 21 day sugar detox by Balanced Bites. Surrounded by my kids' Halloween candy. I think I'll miss heavy cream the most. Oh well. I need to do this to prepare for the holiday temptations.

I did a leg workout this morning. Getting a massage tomorrow. Yippee!

My husband and I are going to sign up for the Tough Mudder in August. I have 285 days to heal and train.

My Journal

I just completed a 21 day sugar detox. I lost three pounds, but my measurements didn't budge. I have been recovering my left knee and left arm since the mud run so it's just been walking and hiking. I'm itching to get back to some weight training. I think my knees are pretty good. Haven't really tested them out. My arm is still weak and painful. I don't think it's tendinitis anymore. It's gotta be a strained muscle. So frustrating.

I've had some interesting discoveries through some DNA testing. I'm almost 5% Native American. I'm mostly Irish, Scottish and French. But my genes seem to be expressing more Native American in the way I look and some other things. Also found out I don't make glutathione very well and don't absorb B12. I had a lot of "snips" that contribute to anxiety. I will be starting some supplements to help with these. We'll see.

Doing the sugar detox showed me that classic primal blueprint is the way to go for me. No "safe" starches for me.

My Journal

2014 Happy New Year

My weight and measurements remained about the same over the holidays. My left arm is tricep tendinitis. I have some rehabilitation exercises, but I'll give it another month before I see a Dr. My left knee is still iffy. This morning I started the Mudderling circuit training. 222 days until the Tough Mudder.

150 lbs
    Size 12 jeans and size medium shirts. The weight has gone to my hips and stomach. Not sure how the "weight loss" will go. Not too hopeful. But today's workout felt good.

We're headed for a vacation mid-Feb. I had hoped that by now my body would look different...oh well. Keep focusing on health.

My Journal

4 weeks until vacation. I realized I probably don't fit into my favorite suit. Today we celebrated my son's birthday. Seriously had cake and a protein shake for supper. I'm thinking of doing some sort of 28 day detox. Sugar, rice, potato chips, nut thins. These are my craving/convienience foods. Need more veggies. Though I reaffirmed once again I can't do raw kale. Spinach is ok. Maybe just do butter... No other dairy. I'm rambling...

I did a week of the Mudderling workouts. Glad to get active again. I tried a bit of jogging. My knee did ok. Feeling hopeful.

My Journal

Wow. It's been awhile again.

I've been nursing tendonitis in my left foot now. In a boot for the past 4 weeks. It's been bugging me since January. Trying to remain positive. I swam laps this morning with my foot buoyed up. I still get in some weight training.

I think I'm having to let go of the Tough Mudder in August though. My healing foot won't be ready for 12 miles. That makes me sad. I really want to heal up my foot so I can get out hiking. I desperately miss it.

Other health issues are around my arthritis flares. I'm attempting an autoimmune protocol. Plus I found out I'm a carrier for the c282y version of hemochromatosis. My iron levels were high in one test, but in a following test they were normal.

I had 2 TB of potato salad a few days ago and my flare came back. Maybe nightshades are no good.

Anyway, my goal continues to heal and be healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Journal

I feel like I need to rework my approach to things. Emotionally I am discouraged, yet I don't want to give up. I've been primal for 4 years this month. I've maintained a 22lb weight loss and my health has changed a lot for the better. I just feel stuck. I think mostly because I am healing from an injury and I can't be as active as I long to be.

Here are some health issues that will influence my food choices:

PCOS - Low carb
    Hemochromotosis Carrier - Lower Iron
    Arthritis flares - AIP
    Weight Loss - Lower calorie

Things that affect my activity right now:
    Tendonitis in my left foot - was in VFFs for 4 years, but trying out Newtons when I'm not in a boot.
    IT band issues in my knee when I run or climb hills - left knee seizes up on the descent
    I have access to a pool and a home gym with kettle bells, dumbbells, chin up bar, ring, dip etc
    Tend to go higher cortisol - need stress relief

Goals: 10 lb weight loss - go from size 12 to size 8
    10K mud run on Nov.2nd (I've done mostly 5K before, but need to heal foot and knees to begin to run again)
    new bedtime by 10:30 pm habit
    Stress relief incorporated into lifestyle

I think now is a good time to reevaluate and begin something new. I homeschool three boys and summer vacation has begun. That is one less stressor for now. I've been attempting the AIP, but I am finding I am not getting enough fat, I'm hungry and it feels like there are more easy carbs to grab on the AIP rather than good stuff. It's partly mental too because I feel deprived.

So, who likes a challenge? Want to make some suggestions for me?

My Journal

Hannakb is offline Senior Member
    Are you actually presenting with hemochromotosis?
    Do you have to go for blood tests every so often?
    Did your doctor tell you to change your diet or what could cause the gene to activate?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast