Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Exercise while VLC page 3

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Carbs are not the enemy of fat loss. Unless you are morbidly obese you will need carbs to keep from lowering metabolism. The leaner you are the higher your carbs will need to be.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    Serenity- did you carb-up for a whole day once a week? And did you find it was helpful for leaning you out (if that was your goal?)
    Yes, I carbed up for a whole day (sometimes two) once a week. I did it in order to be able to do HIIT. Mark mentioned in one of his articles that doing sprints while in a glycogen-depleted state could cause metabolic problems. I wanted to avoid metabolic problems. Others on this forum may disagree over whether you'll develop those problems by doing HIIT while VLC, but I didn't want to risk it, you know.

I had a hard time losing any fat even though I was VLC and counted calories. I did this for 3-4 months. I'm a bad example because I'm sure something is wrong with me. I suspect the IUD, and I'm getting it removed tomorrow. But I probably won't go back to VLC because I'm doing Crossfit so any given day could be a high intensity day

Google cyclic ketogenic diet. Bodybuilders use it when they're trying to cut. Others have been successful on it so just b/c it didn't really work for me doesn't mean that it doesn't work.

Zach is offline Banned
    There are many diets (leangains, biorhythm,etc) that uses carb cycling but the principles are the same. Consume all your carbs around the time of exercise. About 1/3 before and 2/3rds post. Keep the off days and the rest of your time low carb.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Two weeks is plenty of time to empty glycogen storage. You can estimate your storage and burn and I bet it's hitting the floor. When muscle stores don't have enough to offer up locally to the muscle -- Bonk, failure, etc.. And muscle storage doesn't get put back in your blood stream. Keep in mind that if you have no excess glycogen then it shouldn't be stored as fat, it goes to a storage area. Whatever you burn through in intense workouts can be replaced. Personally, I would get carbs post workouts. I don't feel pre-carbing is necessary for sprints or heavy lifting, really depends on how you feel.

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Carbs are not the enemy of fat loss. Unless you are morbidly obese you will need carbs to keep from lowering metabolism. The leaner you are the higher your carbs will need to be.
    More impetus to lean out

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Zach-
    "The leaner you are the higher your carbs will need to be.[/QUOTE]

Why is this? It seems like if you have just a few lb's of fat to drop, decrease carbs would lead one to use that as fuel? Not so? Yes, I am looking for an answer to weight loss that does not involve LC!
    Last edited by FireFinder; 05-03-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123