Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Exercise while VLC page 2

FireFinder is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Whats your exercise schedule look like?
    Ideally, when I'm not eating VLC, I try to get in 1-2 day of HIIT or sprints, one day of a longer slower jog (60min or so- my heart rate stays low b/c I'm somewhat fit) and 2 days of lifting. I try to lift reasonably heavy (ie: reps between 6-10, unless it's pull ups/ push ups). And some walks here and there. So, I work out a medium amount- my lifting days are only 30-40min and my sprint days are like 20 min.

Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    When I was VLC, I did carb cycling and scheduled my sprints the day after a carb refeed. So I'll have a day where I eat lots of carbs, and I'll sprint the next morning.
    Serenity- did you carb-up for a whole day once a week? And did you find it was helpful for leaning you out (if that was your goal?)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well the standard advice is to bookend your intense efforts with your carb loads. So the meal before and the meal after add in a starch or some fruit. Thats what I would call the "performance" protocol.

The weight loss protocol would be more in the vein of a carb day once every 1-2 weeks.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFinder View Post
    Ideally, when I'm not eating VLC, I try to get in 1-2 day of HIIT or sprints, one day of a longer slower jog (60min or so- my heart rate stays low b/c I'm somewhat fit) and 2 days of lifting. I try to lift reasonably heavy (ie: reps between 6-10, unless it's pull ups/ push ups). And some walks here and there. So, I work out a medium amount- my lifting days are only 30-40min and my sprint days are like 20 min.
    Skip the 60 minute jog, it is counterproductive to fat lass, if you love running then go with a 5k and aim to beat your time each week. For the sprints and work outs i agree with Neck that higher carbs pre and post workout would work best.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Skip the 60 minute jog, it is counterproductive to fat loss
    How? Would a 60 minute walk be better for fat loss?

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    I've been eating VLC in an effort to lean out. It seems to be working.
    However, I've been feeling crummy during workouts. Today I "tried" to do my normal sprinting routine and totally struggled to complete even half of it. I feel like I have NO gas in the tank. And after lifting, I feel zonked.

So, do I back off all workouts? Or do I try carb cycling? Or is that just for body builders? Will it hinder weight loss?
    How long have you been VLC? Most people will say that it inhibits performance -- and it may for some -- but I've found that most people who say that simply aren't keto-adapted. There are people that kill it in the performance arena who are VLC.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    How? Would a 60 minute walk be better for fat loss?
    Long distance cardio (at a low heart rate) trains your body to store fat since fat is the fuel of choice for that type of exercise. Walks are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    How long have you been VLC? Most people will say that it inhibits performance -- and it may for some -- but I've found that most people who say that simply aren't keto-adapted. There are people that kill it in the performance arena who are VLC.
    Who exactly is killing it on VLC?

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebooted Body View Post
    Been LC just a couple of weeks. So, I'm guessing probably not totally adapted yet? Just not sure if I should keep truckin' or do some cycling. The cycling appeals to me b/c I miss the variety, and it sounds like might be great for workouts. My concern is that the carbs will stall weight loss.....

little vase is offline Senior Member
    Long distance cardio (at a low heart rate) trains your body to store fat since fat is the fuel of choice for that type of exercise. Walks are fine.
    Thanks Zach.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Been LC just a couple of weeks. So, I'm guessing probably not totally adapted yet? Just not sure if I should keep truckin' or do some cycling. The cycling appeals to me b/c I miss the variety, and it sounds like might be great for workouts. My concern is that the carbs will stall weight loss.....
    Well, to be totally adapted particularly at slightly higher intensities it will take longer than a couple weeks. People who do low carb for athletic purposes are frequently in the endurance field. But, I do know that there are a few rock climbers and other people on this forum that work at higher intensity doing it. For the most part though it takes a month or two to get fully adapted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast