Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you like your goat? page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

How do you like your goat?

Primal Fuel
    I finally bought my first goat chops. I was wondering what kind of flavors go well with goat, or specific recipes you all might like.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, and info.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Garlic, black pepper, and red pepper are my go-to seasonings.

waterjen is offline Member
    Never had goat chops, but when I was in Kenya, I had the local barbecue, referred to as nyama choma. You go pick the bit of goat you want, and they cook it while you enjoy the glorious sunshine and a few baridi (cold) Tuskers (beers)... When ready, the server brings it to your table on a wooden cutting board and cuts it into bite-sized pieces right there, with a monstrously large knife. On the side is a mound of salt. Also an order of something called kachumbari (sp?) which was basically a pico: chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro plus lime juice...
    Take a piece of meat and dip it in salt or kachumbari or both, and enjoy.
    And since I bought some goat shanks at the farmer's market about two weeks ago, I have been looking forward to tasting just what I described. Maybe this weekend, if the weather plays nice.

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    I've moved to an area where goat is hard to get, when I lived in Brisbane (State Capital of Queensland, about the size of Baltimore) I worked near a Halal butcher and it was goat heaven. I loved just cubed goat on the bone made into a curry with onions, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and masses of curry spice. I grow my own chillies, cilantro and curry leaves. All cooked with butter ghee of course.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    depends on how old the goat is. and what sex it was. are yours farmed or wild? we only get wild goat here. i have roasted legs of young goat with a bit of garlic and eaten them like mutton. usually i cut the fat off and render it. cube the meat and fry it in the fat and then make it into goat curry. you can most likely treat it like mutton or even hogget if it is farmed goat.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for all the ideas.

Sea, it's farmed. I bought it from the 'goat guy' at the farmers market. He sells everything from goat whipping cream to soft and hard cheeses to meat. He even told me that if I call ahead, he'd sell me some testicles.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I like my goats alive. Of course that would be because they are our dairy goats

Curry is a pretty common way to serve goat. I personally have not had it yet but we have some male goats we do not need....

MikeAtTaree is offline Member
    Goat is the most popular red meat in the World, eaten by over 70% of the population according to Wikipedia.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Jamaican ... Goat Curry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast