Thread: What to tell a non-primal friend with rheumatoid arthritis? page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

What to tell a non-primal friend with rheumatoid arthritis?

Primal Fuel
    What's a good, non-threatening overview of paleo/primal for rheumatoid arthritis?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Good question. History lessons about grass seed kind of ring hollow for people. Few people seem to know or care what soybean oil is or that mayonnaise and tortilla chips are full of it.

I would probably start with some Michael Pollan platitudes--buy perishable things, no barcodes, plan family meals, etc. If they ask for meal ideas offer some tubers to displace the grain, fruit to displace the sugar, and unrefined fat to displace the oils.
    35//6'3"/180

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    A coworker has auto-immune troubles galore, and doesn't give a darn. You can lead a pony to Cloudsdale, but you can't make it taste the rainbow!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Techie is offline Member
    It might be best to say:

I find that when I eat lots of vegetables, good sources of fats, and quality proteins while minimizing processed foods I feel good and have energy, and I know a lot of other people who have similar results because it minimizes inflammation and related illnesses that stem from it.

That is non threatening, you don't mention the word diet, caveman, paleo, low carb or anything else. We know what quality protein means (meat / fish), good fats (no vegetable oils, limiting pufas), and processed food (grains, etc).

If she wants to know more, they can then ask for details. Giving a informative and leading statement like this allows you to avoid having to argue against conventional wisdom and their preconceived notions of nutrition and fitness. Just give the book or website from Sisson and Wolf and let them give the information.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Focus on the anti-inflammatory properties of the diet. You don't even need to label it as a 'diet' or call it 'primal/paleo', but just mention that you've heard quite a bit of success from eating this way/removing these things.

The basic primal diet is very anti-inflammatory and other additions can really increase this property - like kelp, linseed, berries, tumeric, ginger.

I know I was at the end of rope with back pain so would try anything - wait until they are at this point!

Owen is offline Senior Member
    I remember Mark did a recent article about the pitfalls of trying to sell primal eating to coworkers especially when you see people in a bad way and feel that you could really help them. I had a similar situation with some coworkers who struggle with their weight but eat cereals during the day and snack on sugary foods which is exactly what I used to do hence I know thats the reason they re fat but diet is such a personal issue and hard to broach unless you ve got very good trust in my experience.

Thanks. I think what would be good is success stories about RA.
    Last edited by Hedonist2; 05-01-2013 at 08:43 PM.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member

Mud Flinger is online now Senior Member
    I have RA and it is so much better with diet changes. Tell them you read something and thought of them. Give them the link and let it go.

My Dr said diet didn't matter and handed me more narcotics ( hard to believe but true). Luckily for me my brother asked me to google night shades and RA and more research lead me here. Now I take no ibuprofen or narcotics any more (and I was surely killing myself with them needing more and more).

I always thought food intolerances caused GI problems and I never had any. I was sooooo wrong!
    Last edited by Mud Flinger; 05-02-2013 at 07:40 AM.

Thanks!