Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the reason for focusing on one body part? page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

What is the reason for focusing on one body part?

Shop Now
    Why do some people who lift weight target one body part at a time? I mean like you hear people say "leg day" or "arm day." This seems silly to me. Wouldn't it make more sense to work all the body parts each time?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Depends on goals. If you're bodybuilding or competing then you'll probably need to do individual body parts to really bulk them up, but for the vast majority of people lifting whole body 3x per week is plenty.

Agreed, it is all on your goals, and time available. Bodybuilders, and people looking for strength gains will isolate using various splits though.

Sent from my IS06 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I find it gives me more effective rest when I'm not.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Don't you get tired and find it hard to make progress if all your workout is one thing? I mean, if I try to do bench press, then overhead press, then db rows, then lat pulls, then pullups I'm not going to make much progress on anything after the bench press. Same goes for doing multiple kinds of squats all on the same day along with different kinds of deadlifts. I'm going to have too much fatigue to lift as much as I'm able on some of the latter things on the list.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Actually I prefer to break the exercises up into "push" or "pull" days. At the moment I am trying to transition into doing bench and pullup exercises the same day, but I may go back if that doesn't start working. And I don't do multiple kinds of squats, just the one. I've never been much dedicated to OHP, and I'm starting to do handstand work, which I find more fun. So I'll probably drop OHP entirely.

Maybe I'm lazy, I just don't like high volume, it doesn't seem to do anything for me, so I don't do it. I see enormous volume as a "young guy thing".

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I depends on how you split your work. I have done five day splits (i.e. classic bodybuilder workout) where its each bodypart 1x/week. Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, and Legs.

I made lots of gains doing it like this, but I was also in my low 20's and at an age that gains come more easily. The environment on this forum is that of novice lifters and those that prefer the compound lifts. You know even with a five way split I was doing tons of coumpound work. Chest was flat bench, incline, decline, and fly's for instance. I think the point of these compound lift for strength strategies is that you really don't need that much volume and accessory work to get results. Its a back to basics movement.

And as to getting tired and not being able to do an all chest day or something, well that was another benefit of being young and in great shape..... and being a gym rat meathead that didn't mind being in there for an hour every day
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-01-2013 at 07:25 AM.

I think it depends on your goals, too. I lift at home, so there is nobody to impress but me. I don't really want to get big and strong (been there, done that) though strong would be okay. If I wanted to compete at powerlifting, I'm 58 next week. Nine out of 10 times there would be no competition in my age classification.

I think I'd rather do some bodyweight or gymnastic moves that incorporate more skill. On a good day I can do a bridge. Need to work on that. Eventually I want to do a press up into a handstand. I want to do an impressive set of pullups, just like I can with pushups.

What are your goals, and how will you know when you have achieved them?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I made lots of gains doing it like this, but I was also in my low 20's and at an age that gains come more easily.
    I also think a factor is that different people need different amounts of exercise to stimulate hypertrophy and strength increases. And of course that can change with age.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Don't you get tired and find it hard to make progress if all your workout is one thing? I mean, if I try to do bench press, then overhead press, then db rows, then lat pulls, then pullups I'm not going to make much progress on anything after the bench press. Same goes for doing multiple kinds of squats all on the same day along with different kinds of deadlifts. I'm going to have too much fatigue to lift as much as I'm able on some of the latter things on the list.
    in that traditional type of bodybuilding workout, volume is most definitely the key. a lot of people focus on a few heavy compound lifts, followed by several assistance exercises. for example, a chest day might include 5 sets of bench press in the 3-6 rep range, followed by 5 sets of incline bench press in the 8-10 rep range and 5 sets of decline bench press in the 8-10 rep range. that would probably then be followed by 5 sets of cable crossovers (of varying angles) in the 12-20 rep range, and maybe even a few high rep sets of pec flyes. so you're looking at 20-25 sets of exercises for one particular muscle group. its definitely not for everyone. but the bottom line is that it works. it stimulates a tremendous amount of muscle growth, you just need to eat and rest properly.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast