Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts (Confessions of an Obsessed Mind or My PB Journal) page 6

diene is offline Senior Member
    Yup, it's definitely a push. I'm thinking that it may be the change in diet too. Or maybe I'm just not as regular as I thought.

I had wheat for the first time in months on Saturday. This is what happened: So I love Ethiopian food. Ethiopian and Thai are my favorite cuisines. I haven't had Ethiopian food in months because the shitty restaurants in Philly (that I know of) all use wheat flour (Aunt Jemima's, to be precise) to make their injera. There's an awesome Ethiopian restaurant in Mont Clair, NJ, about a two-hour drive away. I haven't been there in months, possibly over a year, and the last time I was there was before I gave up wheat 100%. I didn't realize that their normal injera is made with teff, wheat, and barley, and they could make gluten-free versions but only if you ask them to do so a day in advance. Since I didn't call ahead of time, I basically had to decide whether to just eat the food or freak out and refuse to eat there. I had been looking forward to this meal for a long time, and we were there with friends. In order to not appear completely insane and because I sort of just really wanted to eat the food, dietary restrictions be damned, I decided that I didn't care. Then I proceeded to eat myself silly. I ate till my stomach hurt and felt like it was about to rupture. That's really nothing new for me, haha!

So that was Saturday, and yesterday was a down day. I weighed myself this morning, and guess what, I'm like up 4 pounds compared to Saturday morning. HAHAHAHA! I've had plenty of up days where I've eaten until my stomach hurt, and I've never seen this kind of weight gain. Yesterday was a down day, mind you. So it was a 4-pound gain even after a down day. Amazing! It's probably water or inflammation (gasp!) or something because no one gains 4 pounds of fat over 2 days. I can't imagine it being water weight since I'm not even low carb anymore, and i never gain that much even if I eat a ton of carbs and sugar on an up day. So what is it? WHAT IS IT?! Inflammation? Yikes! So, yeah, no wheat from now on, you bad girl, and call the stupid restaurant in advance next time.

In other news, I was stung by a bee for the first time that I can remember on Saturday. I didn't go into anaphylactic shock, which was nice. I don't know if I'm allergic to bee stings, but my uncle almost died from it at one point. I also know that you don't go into anaphylactic shock until the second time you get stung so it's possible that this is really the first time I've ever been stung. It was a freaking weird feeling, like literally being stuck with a needle. It was kinda swollen and itchy yesterday but seems to have gone down now.

*RANT*
    So I was at this baby shower on Saturday (and that was when I was stung by the bee), and one of my boyfriend's cousins came over to say hi. She grabbed my arm and was like, "wow, you've been working out, I can feel your muscles." I was like, "yeah, I've been working out." And she's like, "I'm so jealous." She's always asking me about my workouts and telling me how fit I look and how she wished she could be motivated to work out and stuff like that. I mean, I guess some of that is meant to be complimentary, but I just don't understand why you would be *jealous* of someone because they work out a lot. I mean, you could work out a lot too. Wtf, you know.

I think "I'm so jealous" would have been an appropriate response had I said, "nah, I've been eating potato chips and watching tv all day, but those muscles just keep growing." But what I really do is work out 6-7 days a week, sometimes multiple times a day. So what's there to be jealous about? You could do it too.
    *END RANT*

Edited to add: I got my period Friday night. That would be 6/21/13. This is for future reference, when, for example, a month from now I'm worried about my period being late or whatever yet can't remember when it started last time.
    Last edited by diene; 06-24-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Okay, so a few cool things I forgot to mention before. Last Friday, I discovered that I was able to get myself up on the rings and hold myself there. When I tried this a couple of weeks ago, I was unable to do that. So that's an improvement! (I know, I know, novice effect--blah, blah--hey, stop raining on my parade!)

Last Friday, we did "Elizabeth." Elizabeth was one of the first WODs I did when I first started real crossfit (after the on-ramp sessions). And the first time around, back in April, I was unable to finish it within the 12-minute time cap. (FYI: Elizabeth is 21/15/9 squat cleans and ring dips. I scaled it to a power clean followed by a front squat--coach's orders--the actual squat clean was deemed too complicated to be performed under time pressure for newbies like me. Also did dips on a box instead of the rings cuz can't do ring dips yet. First time around, did the dips on a bench. I think the box dips are marginally more challenging than bench ones.) In April, I was able to complete the 21-rep round plus the 15 scaled squat cleans (power clean + front squat). This time, I finished the whole thing in 10:45, which wasn't spectacular but was a huge improvement!

Okay, now to the rest of life. For a while, about two weeks, I think, I was pretty resolute about moving in September, but, recently, I'm starting to waver again. This is mostly due to a conversation I had with a friend yesterday. She moved to LA right after law school, and she hasn't been able to find steady employment. Just talking to her made me feel really anxious regarding the job market (although I've read that the market in LA is worse than that in the Bay Area). So now I'm thinking that I should maybe delay the move in order to save up more money or possibly wait until I have a job lined up before moving.

It's all really unpleasant. Argh!!

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Dude, I'm expecting to move to a different continent with no job, no apartment, and no friends. If I can do it you can do it! Start with little steps. Have you ever looked up legal firms in the Bay area?

And ignore the negative people

WEll done on your improvements btw - that must be so satisfying!
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Haha! You're totally right. I have to start putting more work into contacting people in the Bay Area, networking, and things like that. I did apply to one job (because I knew someone who worked there) but was rejected. In general, it's pretty hard to find jobs remotely, especially since there are so many people who are looking for jobs locally.

So today. I'm afraid that I'm developing a box jump phobia. I've gotten injured on it too many times, I fear.

Today's WOD was 21/15/9: front squat @ 65 lbs, box jumps, and hand-release push ups. Did it in 10:48. Writing my time down here cuz I think I forgot to record it in my notebook.

Did my box jumps really slowly. Not fun cuz I was scared the whole time. In the past, I'd be scared during the first couple jumps, and then I'd get over the fear for the rest of the workout. This time though, like I said, phobia. There really needs to be a crying face. :*(

I'm reviving my journal, and I'm going to start tracking my food again even though I really don't want to. *Sigh* The reason is that I think I have stage one hydradenitis suppurativa. I've had it for years, actually, but I only recently bothered looking it up. I always figured that it was just zits or in-grown hair. I get these pimple-like bumps at the top of my inner thighs--right where the thigh meets the crotch. They're quite big (pea-sized or bigger) and can be tender to the touch. They'd show up for a few days--up to a week, maybe--and then just go away again. They never come to a head or anything. I've since learned that that's' how hydradenitis suppurativa is at stage one. It gets much worse as the stages progress. But it doesn't progress for everyone so I'm hoping that since I've had stage one for years, maybe it means it won't get worse for me.

Anyway, what prompted me to finally do some research to figure out what these bumps were is that early last week, I got three of them at once. And by Friday, one of the three had swollen up to quite a ridiculous size. It didn't really hurt that much, and I only noticed in the shower, but it freaked me out anyway. By Saturday morning, though, the swelling has gone down.

According to Tara Grant, How Tara put Hidradenitis Suppurativa into remission with a paleo diet, HS is an autoimmune condition. This is her theory, anyway. And, for her, it's triggered by consuming potatoes. She says that she gets it the day after consuming potatoes and that since cutting out potatoes, she hasn't had another outbreak.

Because I've stopped tracking my food, I can't say what food triggered my recent outbreak. And this is why I'm going to track my food again.

Here are some possibilities:
    Fresh figs (most likely--the only unusual thing I ate last Sunday and Tuesday), but dry figs definitely don't cause outbreaks--because I had them fairly recently.
    Plums (unlikely)
    Blueberries (unlikely)

Another possibility is that my outbreaks are not triggered by one specific food but is instead caused by chronically eating too much of a certain type of food. I'm thinking dairy because I've been consuming more dairy than normal. And since I've always suspected that I have a dairy allergy, it wouldn't really surprise me that much if excessive amounts of an allergen could also trigger an outbreak of an autoimmune condition. (After all, the link between exposure to allergens and the development of autoimmune disorders is well established.)

A normal person would say that they're giving up dairy. But I happen to have already ordered two containers of delicious, delicious raw milk yogurt, which I'm picking up tomorrow. So I guess I'm going to cut out dairy after I finish that yogurt.

Another possibility is excess sugar, which I've also been consuming recently. I just don't think that sugar is likely to trigger an autoimmune condition--if HS is indeed an autoimmune condition. If it's more like regular zits, then it could very well be the sugar.

Anyway, since I'm tracking things...got my period yesterday. Short cycle this month, I guess. (And, yes, it has occurred to me that the HS outbreak could also have been triggered by hormones since I was apparently PMSing last week without being aware of it.)

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting - you should ask Ombat about this. I remember she mentioned before that if she eats dairy she get spots on her thighs!

Based on your research, what do you think it is: a condition in itself, or is it a symptom of a separate autoimmune condition?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Thanks, I'll ask Ombat about it.

I'm not sure at this point. Conventional medicine has no idea what causes it (surprise, surprise). All they know is that they can't cure it. I don't know much about autoimmune disorders, and I'm not sure when something should be considered an autoimmune disorder. (Apparently, conventional medicine doesn't either--according to Wikipedia, anyway, there's "continuing debate" over when something should be considered an autoimmune disorder.) But according to Wikipedia, HS is a suspected autoimmune disorder.

But I think autoimmune conditions are chronic conditions that develop over time. Like if you have a gluten intolerance but continue to eat gluten, over time, you can develop Hashimoto's, which is an autoimmune condition where your immune system attacks your thyroid. That's because the structure of gluten is similar to the structure of some thyroid proteins so the gluten antibodies your body produces in response to gluten also binds to the thyroid proteins. But the immune reaction to gluten apparently lasts six months so once you have this autoimmunity, it doesn't disappear right away.

In Tara's case, her outbreaks are triggered by potatoes and she has one the day after eating potatoes. Then once the bumps heal, she doesn't get another outbreak until she eats potatoes again. This sounds too acute to be an autoimmune condition. But maybe the immune reaction to potatoes is a lot more short-lived than gluten. Who knows.

I used to get cystic acne on my chin--horrific, painful, disgusting, ugly. And whenever I went to the doctor about it, they couldn't tell me what causes it. It's hormones. There's no cure. When it gets bad, they prescribe antibiotics or topical acne meds. They really just don't know. It stopped after I went primal. I think it's because I stopped eating wheat (because that's the only thing that I really stopped eating). Does that mean I had an autoimmune condition triggered by wheat? I don't know.

Edited to add: Oh, and for me, I know it can be triggered by physical irritation of the skin. That's because, the one time in my life that I took a spinning class, I had an outbreak in my crotch area the next day. As you know, spinning involves a lot of standing up and sitting down on the very hard seat repeatedly and with high intensity so it basically bruised my crotch area that hit the seat (no other way to explain it). But in addition to being bruised, one or two of these lumps also developed, which made the area even more tender. So, yeah, that was the first and last spinning class I ever took. Thinking about trying another spinning class though. Need to find some kind of cardio that's not running until my plantar fasciitis heals...
    Last edited by diene; 07-16-2013 at 10:56 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    7/15/13
    A few bites of almond jello (So Delicious coconut milk, almond extract, stevia, gelatine)

7/16/13
    2 bananas
    2 plums
    3 eggs fried in a bit of coconut oil
    1/2 smoked pork sausage
    Enjoy Life chocolate chips (too many)
    3/4 cup sticky rice
    Fruit salad: strawberries, mango, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew
    tea jello (Tazo organic chai tea, stevia, vanilla extract, gelatine)
    tapioca pudding with taro

ice cream--yeah, I know, after all that talk about giving up dairy. Well, I figured that this is my last chance since I'll be giving up dairy soon. It was good ice cream though--organic, no hormones or HFCS, and yummy as hell!

sushi! Alaskan roll (smoked salmon, avocado, caviar), Philadelphia roll (smoked salmon, avocado, cream cheese), and a special roll that has yellowtail, salmon, and tuna. I picked it up from the restaurant and found two pairs of chopsticks inside. I guess I ordered so much that they figured it must be for two people. Ugh, I'm so full right now. I actually feel slightly sick. That's the thing about sushi--it always makes me feel slightly sick after eating it. I don't actually get sick from it, but it just feels slightly yucky in my stomach. Don't know why.

1 banana
    1 plum
    one bite of smoked pork sausage
    almond jello
    small bowl of bone broth
    2 small packets of organic gummy bears (the fake vegan kind that doesn't have gelatin in it, I think -- it doesn't say that it's vegan but it has carnauba wax--wtf is that?--instead of gelatin ) Anyway, it's probably bad for you. I guess it's impossible to find gummy bears that are made with gelatin that don't also have HFCS in it.
    Last edited by diene; 07-17-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast