Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts (Confessions of an Obsessed Mind or My PB Journal) page 3

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I may have lost 3 lbs so far on JUDDD. The weight bounces around a lot so it's hard to tell for sure.

I can find out about good places to stay in SF for you. What's your budget like? Also, some friends of mine rent out a little cottage on their property in Berkeley on https://www.airbnb.com/. Airbnb is a good place to go if you don't want to spend extra $$$ to stay at hotels.

Golden Lotus in downtown Oakland.
    State Bird Provisions in SF (you should make reservations WAY ahead of time).
    Thai Delight in Berkeley if you like Thai food. There are lots of good Thai restaurants in Berkeley. Siam is another good one. Thai Restaurants - Berkeley, CA | Zagat[name]=Berkeley%2C%20CA&where[id]=4293471419&yp=&pp=10&s=open&sort=relevance&er[0]=1348&er[1]=1381&er[2]=1383&er[3]=1391&er[4]=4830&er[5]=4673&er[6]=4886&er[7]=4672&er[8]=4671&er[9]=4670&er[10]=4850
    The Buddhist Temple one (first one on the list)--I've never been, but it's supposed to be amazing (it's also vegetarian).
    900 Grayson also in Berkeley. 900 GRAYSON RESTAURANT
    Gregoire GRÉGOIRE RESTAURANT

I'll have some more recommendations for you shortly.
    Last edited by diene; 05-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.

5/25/13

DD--all I had was my chai tea jello (1 packet unsweetened gelatin, chai tea, and a packet of stevia--less than 24 calories total), 4 stalks of celery (~24 calories), and 2 poached eggs (~150 calories). I also had a few tastes of the bone broth I was making in the slow cooker (probably negligible calories).

Workout
    1.25-mile warm-up
    1 x 40-s interval @ 10 mph
    4 x 40-s interval @10.5 mph
    Fewer intervals today due to plantar fasciitis and fact that gym is closing early today b/c it's a holiday weekend (hate it when they close early).

5/26/13

Ate a whole bunch of stuff--really can't remember for sure.

Food
    Lots of rice cakes with cream cheese, cinnamon, and raisins (and maple syrup too, sometimes)
    2 bananas
    some lychees
    1 beer (really should stop drinking beer)
    sausage and egg scramble with leftover sausage, kale, mushrooms, and 2 eggs
    sun butter (too much)
    cheese (at random times throughout the day)
    root beer float (oh yeah--root beer made with cane sugar & rum raisin ice cream)
    bone broth (including some of the fatty marrow)
    home-made apple cinnamon raisin cake--I made up the recipe myself and will post it shortly!
    fish congee for dinner (went out to Vietnamese restaurant but didn't feel like having pho)

Felt uncomfortably full after dinner. Ate entirely too much.

Workout
    None -- felt really guilty about it too. Was supposed to run but was way too lazy. Not a good running week. Haven't been running nearly enough this week. Must change that next week. Must. Run. Moar.

5/27/13

It's so much easier to log food on DDs! So far, I've only had:

150-cal protein shake

Other food
    1 preserved duck egg
    1 bag of arugula (20 calories)
    1 cup of chai tea with 1 packet stevia (4 calories)

Workout
    Crossfit -- scaled scaled Murph: (1-mile run, 20 rounds of 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, 1-mile run)
    I did the pushups against a box and the pullups with a band. By the end, I was using such a big band for the pullups that I was totally cheating - heh! That's the problem with doing a gazillion pullups, after a while, I just stop being able to do them, even with a band.

The problem with Crossfit is that they're too into the military. Military people really like CF, and CF really likes the military. While I don't have problems with individual service members--I see (most of) them as victims of the warfare state more than anything--I'm also disinclined to worship them as heroes.
    Last edited by diene; 05-28-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Apple Cinnamon Raisin Cake Recipe

CAM00103.jpg

Ingredients:

1/4 cup coconut flour
    3/4 cup rice flour
    3/4 cup sweet rice flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger (to taste--I didn't measure any of it, but I used generous amounts of cinnamon and cloves and small amounts of nutmeg and ginger)
    raisins (~1/2 cup or as much or little as you like) soaked in rum overnight
    2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced, mixed with more cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg
    3 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
    2 tbsp coconut milk (or some other milk)
    2 tbsp maple syrup
    2 packets stevia

Directions:

1. The day before, soak raisins in rum. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap so that the rum doesn't evaporate.
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    3. Combine the dry ingredients, including spices, in a bowl, and mix well.
    4. Beat the eggs and vanilla extract together in a separate bowl. Add coconut oil and coconut milk and beat some more. Add maple syrup and stevia and beat some more. Pour the rum in which the raisins have been soaking into this mixture and beat more.
    5. Peel the apples, cut into chunks, and place in a third bowl. Add cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, and toss.
    6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients slowly, mixing in between each addition until combined.
    7. Add raisins and apples, and mix until combined.
    8. Pour into a cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (you should start checking for doneness after ~30 minutes of baking).

Note: The amount of sweetener I added makes a not very sweet cake. I actually only used 1 tablespoon, which was definitely not enough so I put 2 tablespoons in the recipe. For additional sweetness, add more maple syrup!!!

Man, it's a DD today, and I'm feeling hungry just looking at that picture!

Edited to add: So I'm not posting this in the recipe section because I don't really think it's primal since I used rice flour.
    Last edited by diene; 05-27-2013 at 12:44 PM.

5/28/13

Food
    protein shake (~200 calories)
    BCAAs mixed with coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, maple syrup, and sun butter -- like a sun butter cup! (This is the first time I've taken BCAAs in a week--forgot to take it a bunch of times last week. Since I stopped taking it on DDs, I've been forgetting to take it on UDs too.)
    1 banana
    1 tbsp sun butter
    1 slice of apple cinnamon raisin cake (this cake is better after refrigeration)
    3 sweet rice cakes
    more rice cakes (not sweet)
    Buffalo chicken salad (445 calories)
    Steak Diane (556 calories)
    frozen yogurt (at least I verified that it was made with sugar and not HFCS)
    couple of lychees
    some rum
    2 more small slices of apple cinnamon raisin cake w/cream cheese
    small amount of sun butter
    a bite of feta cheese

Workout
    Crossfit
    Last edited by diene; 05-29-2013 at 05:49 AM.

5/29/13

Skipped the protein shake for the first time today.

I started feeling sore yesterday afternoon (DOMS from Monday's WOD), and today I'm super sore. Still went to crossfit this morning though. Still practicing engaging my core at all times. Going to try practicing the poses Zoe suggested later.

So my DDs had been getting way easier, but I guess skipping the protein shake after crossfit this morning has made it harder again.

So at 2:50 pm I had a couple pieces of broccoli. Then had a few more pieces, I think, around 5. That's all I ate, except that when I was making my BCAA concoction, I licked a small amount of coconut oil off the spoon.

It's weird cuz I was pretty hungry in the afternoon, but when I got home from work (late, close to 10 pm), I wasn't hungry at all.

Workout
    Crossfit
    Last edited by diene; 05-30-2013 at 09:59 AM.

5/30/13

Weight was 137 this morning, which was a new low for recent times. Probably has something to do with the fact that I only ate a bit of broccoli yesterday.

Food
    slice of apple cinnamon raisin cake (last slice )
    a couple spoonfuls of raw vanilla yogurt
    spoonful of sun butter
    protein shake (~200 cal)
    BCAAs in coconut oil, unsweetened chocolate, maple syrup, and sun butter
    sirloin with small amount of broccoli (~460 cal, probably negligible carbs b/c I ate most of the broccoli yesterday)
    spaghetti bolognese (with spaghetti squash) (605 cal; 46 g carbs, 8 g fiber)
    1 banana
    frozen yogurt (yeah, I know I said I'd stop eating this, but I haven't. At least it's made with sugar and not HFCS!)
    More spaghetti bolognese (I ate most of another portion--yikes--that's a lot of food, considering the fact that I'm planning on making primal pizza tonight, but apparently I can eat like a pig on UDs and still lose weight so that's what I'm gonna do until the weight loss stops.)
    a couple of lychees
    1 drink (snap with seltzer water)
    primal pizza
    1 small apple

Since I saw that my weight had hit a new low this morning, I've become hopeful that I'll be able to continue to lose weight without restricting on up days. I was becoming concerned that my weight loss would stall since I've been eating a TON on up days. It's like doing the eating a ton experiment, except only every other day.

On Tuesday I was thinking that I've been eating way too many carbs and that I should limit my intake to 100-150 g per day. But then I realized that since I eat very few carbs on DDs, that maybe I should double that number for UDs so that I'll average 100-150 g per day. I think that's the thing to do for now. So I'll be aiming for roughly 200-300 g per day without really weighing everything like a crazy person.

Workout
    Crossfit
    45-minute pilates
    Last edited by diene; 05-31-2013 at 10:16 AM.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hello Diene

That's so great that you're losing! You must be delighted. How tall are you out of interest?

Btw, I totally disregard the belief that carbs make you fat. That's never been my experience... Any time I was really thin, I was on a low fat diet.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Hey, hey, see I got my new username!!!

I'm 5'4"--same height as ombat but like 20 pounds heavier than her.

I don't think carbs make you fat either, but I just don't know if it's healthy to eat tons and tons of carbs all the time, you know. When I got my blood test in April, my fasting glucose was 92 mg/dL, which I think is a bit high. The upper end of the healthy range is 95, but, you know, those cut-offs are all arbitrary so I really don't see the difference between 92 and 96. Anyway, I'd be more comfortable if I could get it down to the 80s.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey, hey, see I got my new username!!!

I'm 5'4"--same height as ombat but like 20 pounds heavier than her.

I don't think carbs make you fat either, but I just don't know if it's healthy to eat tons and tons of carbs all the time, you know. When I got my blood test in April, my fasting glucose was 92 mg/dL, which I think is a bit high. The upper end of the healthy range is 95, but, you know, those cut-offs are all arbitrary so I really don't see the difference between 92 and 96. Anyway, I'd be more comfortable if I could get it down to the 80s.
    Well, Derp or Zach would be able to argue the case for carbs more. Personally I just eat what I want now... I think once you're avoiding processed food most things sort themselves out... unless you have allergies, or specific conditions or whatnot.

Hey, btw - if you're worried that you're developing Hashis you could get a scan of your thyroid. THat's how my mum was eventually diagnosed.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Well, Derp or Zach would be able to argue the case for carbs more. Personally I just eat what I want now... I think once you're avoiding processed food most things sort themselves out... unless you have allergies, or specific conditions or whatnot.

Hey, btw - if you're worried that you're developing Hashis you could get a scan of your thyroid. THat's how my mum was eventually diagnosed.
    I don't think I can afford a scan now. And I don't think I could convince a doc to give me one either because my TSH isn't high enough yet.

Oh, and I talked about restricting carbs (if 200-300g is really restricting), but it hasn't happened yet.

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast