Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts (Confessions of an Obsessed Mind or My PB Journal) page 21

diene is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think there are places that rent month to month, but it's not that common. It's also possible to find temporary/short-term rentals, like week-to-week ones, but these are usually more expensive than normal rentals. They're usually $350 or more per week. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Do I get to say -- I told you so?
    Yeah, I guess things always seem worse to me than they really are. Or maybe they're just really desperate.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the video. It looks pretty cool. I'll have to watch it with the sound on when I get home and incorporate some of it into my routine!
    My routine was totally basic, and this gave me loads of ideas! It's actually a lot of fun to expand the range of movement. Challenging too!

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Hey YB - how did you over come your introvertedness? That's really not a word. Any tips? I'm super socially inept. It would be nice to fix it or at least improve on it.
    Great question First tell me: how are you socially inept? What do you do / not do?

It's going to sound strange, but the first thing I did was develop compassion for other people. I started to understand where other people were coming from, and when I understood that most people have insecurities, neurosis, paranoia, people became a lot less scary and I was able to relate to them better. The main thing is that you have to learn to like people, not see others as the enemy. This is the biggest difficulty I see in people.

Then there's really fundamental things that we should really be taught in school but never are. Like, ask other people questions and don't just blab about yourself. A lot of the time, people who are interesting are interesting because they're interested. There's so many little things like that, I don't know if you want more examples or it's a bit obvious.

Eye contact is a big thing, and is really hard to get right for some people. I used to find it really hard to look people in the eye, and no one trusts someone who can't look them in the eye! My problem was that I was overanalysing everything that people were saying, so eye contact became very awkward. I was also afraid of showing them who I was, in case they would think I was X / Y / Z.

Overthinking is basically the enemy of social interaction. These days I'm on fire socially, and it's because when I'm with people I'm not thinking so much. As a result the interaction is more spontaneous, and lighter.

Developing a thicker skin is important too. That's been my biggest challenge! I'm doing better on it these days though...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

When I meet people I don't know, I often have no idea what to say to them. I find it almost impossible to make small talk, at least when I'm sober. I also have a hard time making eye contact. I don't think it's because I'm over-analyzing or over-thinking or concerned about what they might think of me. It's an instinctive thing. I instinctively avoid eye contact--I think it's just cuz I'm shy. I don't usually overanalyze while I'm interacting with others. I might over-analyze later on if the person in question is a love interest, but, otherwise, I actually don't care that much what people think about me.

Mostly I just don't know what to talk about with people so I usually just don't say anything. My natural expression is unsmiling--if I had a dollar every time complete strangers on the street told me to smile or said things like "Smile, it' can't be that bad," I'd be rich! It doesn't come off as friendly so people often think I'm standoffish. The fact that I also avoid eye contact makes it worse.

I think I'm just really shy and introverted and talking to/meeting strangers makes me anxious. And for some reason, I don't come off as a nice but shy person with a shy smile, I come off as standoffish and cold (and possibly mean). It's a combination of (1) I don't smile that much, (2) I don't make eye contact, and (3) I don't know what to say so I just don't say anything. There's probably other body language things that I'm not even aware of that give off a bad impression.

By the way, I just told my boss that I'm moving. This is getting real!

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I can't do eye contact too!!! My #1 obstacle in interviews last month.

I also come off as a B* for being shy. Darn my scientist geeky upbringing! I just want to hide behind my books and science documentaries.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I forced myself to make eye contact with people while I was in college & it eventually became habit. I can now monitor my anxiety by how much I'm avoiding eye contact. A bad day means I'm trying to stare at the ground while talking to someone. It was very uncomfortable and took a lot of reinforcement, but it's possible to train yourself out of.

Small talk is awkward, but I just pick a topic that interests me. If they can't run with that, oh well. I tried. Honestly, the weather is a great topic, as well as "what did you do last weekend?" "Doing anything fun this weekend?" Talking about your move right now is a great topic too! Practicing on cashiers/waiters is good experience since it's such a brief interaction, you may never see this person again, and they won't remember you.

I used to be accused of looking pissed all of the time. People were apparently afraid of me in high school, but I was just a depressed & anxious little teen!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I'm a scientist too and generally don't play well with lawyers! Hah!

I know I should practice making eye contact more frequently. During interviews, I usually try to force myself. Not sure if that just makes things worse cuz it's unnatural or what.

I don't try to look at the ground when talking to people. I've gotten really good at looking at their face without making eye contact. It's really weird.

Small talk with cashiers and waiters? No way! I mean, talking about the weather or their weekend--it all seems so fake to me! It's like why bother. But I guess you bother in order to improve so you can do it when you need to. :/

Diene: so random but since you brought up you are a scientist... Is your name referring to the organic chemical structure?

http://imgur.com/sSClZ6z
    ^i always think of that joke when I see your name.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Haha! That's hilarious. I love it!

Yup, my name refers to the chemical structure.

New profile pic! Lol.
    ------

Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast