Thread: Unable to perform high intensity exercise page

chipchutney is offline Junior Member

Unable to perform high intensity exercise

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the forum and PB living in general. Anyway, I had a question I was hoping you guys could help me with.

I know the three types of exercise that Mark advocates are low intensity (which I mostly get hiking and walking around town), occasional high intensity efforts, and resistance training. I have a heart condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Without going too much into it, I can't perform exercise at maximal heart rate (sprints) or resistance training.

I was wondering, since I can't do the short duration/high intensity stuff, if I should do some moderate intensity, longer duration (which I am medically cleared for) training? Or is it not worth it? I'll keep up the low intensity stuff either way, of course.

Thanks.

I would certainly recommend some medium intensity workouts as well. Consult with your doctor about whether or not some basic strength training would be OK. I certainly wouldn't recommend super sets or circuits for you, but some basic barbell squats, bench press, etc with decently timed rests to bring the heart rate down again should be doable. You will just need to be focused on how your body is feeling, what your heart rate is, and all that jazz much more so that the rest of us. Good luck to you!

chipchutney is offline Junior Member
    I appreciate the response, however both the cardiologists I've seen have told me not to do any weight training at all. There could be immediate negative repercussions such as passing out while under a bar or even possibly sudden death if I had an arrhythmia. A long term concern is that weight training could further enlarge my myocardium. I'm asymptomatic as of now, but if it gets bigger I could go down a pretty unpleasant road as far as symptoms go. Some people get to the point where they can't climb stairs. Yikes.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Do it if you have an activity you like enough that you would do it whether you thought it was fulfilling your exercise requirements or not.

Ok, in that case I would stay away from the weights. Do like ekatherine said. Find something fun. Good luck.

Sent from my IS06 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

paul119 is offline Senior Member
    I'd consider hiking to be moderate intensity with a longer duration (if going up and down hills).

If you really enjoy hiking, continue to do it.
    Travel, eat well, and learn about life - three things I love to do

Curious about what YOU should pack next time you're on the road? Check out my Definitive Guide to Backpacking Nutrition

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Steady state cardio is shown to enlarge your heart to a greater degree than strength training if I recall correctly.

Walking is good. I'm really quite suprised at your cardiologists stance on HIT resistance work. Some recent research has actually found it to be beneficial even in high risk (such as yourself) populations. I might have to do a little digging to find the research though. Read it a couple weeks ago.

Evidence based exercise - clinical benefi... [Aust Fam Physician. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Some interesting stuff here:

High-intensity Interval Training for Clinical Populations

I've VERY skeptical that resistance training is going to be detrimental to your condition.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 05-01-2013 at 08:41 AM.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Ask your Doctor about wearing a Halter monitor while you exercise. The more data they have on your specific condition, the better they can advise you. Even if they don't think it would be helpful, asking would show them you really are serious about exercise. One of the biggest problems Doctors face is that most patients just want a pill. So they go in assuming you won't do the work. You need to make sure they understand otherwise.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Some points:

1) Heavy lifting is not necessary; sure, it is useful in many respects, but by no means essential

2) Lots of low intensity exercise is fine. If you enjoy it, keep doing it, even for longer duration (it doesn't qualify as chronic cardio in the same sense as say running for several miles every day)

3) It isn't worth the risk of doing moderate intensity stuff if your cardiologists don't clear it unequivocally

4) Following on from (2), be very wary of suggestions from all of us on these boards under these circumstances. Most of us mean well, but most of us simply aren't qualified to offer advise in this instance. For example, hiking up hills could push your heart rate right up!

5) As mentioned above, talk to your cardiologists about what exercise is viable, if they don't seem to be cooperative, seek 2nd/ 3rd opinions

Stay safe and good luck with it.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchutney View Post
    I appreciate the response, however both the cardiologists I've seen have told me not to do any weight training at all. There could be immediate negative repercussions such as passing out while under a bar or even possibly sudden death if I had an arrhythmia. A long term concern is that weight training could further enlarge my myocardium. I'm asymptomatic as of now, but if it gets bigger I could go down a pretty unpleasant road as far as symptoms go. Some people get to the point where they can't climb stairs. Yikes.
    What about eccentric-focused body weight training?