Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thinking I need to add calories, but what kind? page 6

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The protein in egg whites is very unstable, it's known to cause hypoglycemia, and the flavonoids in dark chocolate cause a sharp decline in blood sugar as well. It's not the carbs, per se, it's those two foods in particular.
    Use google scholar if you want to learn more
    So off to a general google search.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Just a cursory glance around the net indicates, those in the know, Hypoglycemics, promote the use of Egg whites and dark chocolate as an aid to manage their conditions.
    One would have to assume they are just as informed about their issues as individuals here, both just being internet forums.
    The assumption is written above.

So, you assume something that cannot possibly raise blood sugar in any way somehow regulates blood sugar in hypoglycemics? Good to know you can't google very well
    How did you make that assumption from my assumption?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Derp, hypoglycemic people like egg whites and dark chocolate because these do not spike one's blood sugar much, thereby helping them to stay on an even keel.
    Something does not spike blood sugar=/=something causes blood sugar crashes.
    This

Sure, if you just ignore all the problems with low blood sugar, I guess they just go away. Mind > matter, right? Point is, they already have low blood sugar in the first place, why would they want to lower it more? Makes entirely zero sense even if I put myself in the mindset of someone who has these problems.
    How are they lowering it?

You still have yet to show that either of these two foods cause blood sugar to "drop like a brick". Not spiking=/=crashing.
    And again, this.

I already told you how and why and the exact reason for it. Flavonoids in dark chocolate, and the egg white proteins being unstable and secreting insulin(think the same mechanism as coffee). Most food proteins stimulate insulin secretion, and usually to prevent hypoglycemia cortisol is increased. This isn't always the case in most people, it depends on thyroid fun
    Ok, where getting somewhere, related to thyroid and other metabolic dysfunctions possibly.

You're making even less sense than usual, Derpums.
    Possibly

OK, how about, when I eat dark chocolate 100% or eggs, on an empty stomach, I get really dizzy, whenever I was on low carb. People have even posted about it plenty on here. Just look around. It's real talk.
    Right, got it, it's your problem and your interpretation of some discussions you've read, so it must apply to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    Do you guys have to do this in every thread?
    You should see my family gatherings, they always finish with a laugh after the blood letting is done.

I didn't paint myself into an corner, I already explained myself, provided burden of proof, you just reject it and claim it's wrong while presenting no support for your argument. "I haven't heard of that" is not proof. Believe me, it's there. It's called reactive hypoglycemia.
    Which is the sugar crash after a high carbohydrate meal where blood glucose dips below baseline because insulin levels are still higher than required, nearly everyone gets it, just some are more extreme because they have greater dysfunction in their glucose metabolism, the solution in most cases is to reduce high GI intake, which reduces the spike and in turn minimises the dip, not really ground breaking research.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Which is the sugar crash after a high carbohydrate meal where blood glucose dips below baseline because insulin levels are still higher than required, nearly everyone gets it, just some are more extreme because they have greater dysfunction in their glucose metabolism, the solution in most cases is to reduce high GI intake, which reduces the spike and in turn minimises the dip, not really ground breaking research.
    GI isn't a good indication of anything related to physiology, but the rest is true, except blood sugar should rise with all meals and it stabilizes itself if everything is functioning properly. Low blood sugar is a sign of alarm state, high blood sugar is normal and harmless in most cases.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Go team carbs!

Agreed low blood sugar is an alarm state that needs to be adressed, but underlying causes need to be determined.
    I don't quite agree on high blood sugar being harmless, there is no immediate danger, but the evidence suggests repeatedly spiking blood sugar within the course of a day may well cause cumulative damage.
    I prefer to take my bulk carbs in the context of seasonal opportunities and stay lower carb the rest of the time.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Both mood and energy get worse and worse as the week wears on -- on weekends, I go out with friends and eat much more than I do during the week, and as a result I have MUCH more energy and a MUCH better mood on weekends. By Tuesday or Wednesday, though, I'm a bitch. Cycle (I'm assuming you mean menstrual?) is normal, skin is pretty good.
    Eat more food! Try eating more fat, see how you feel. Try upping your carbs, see how you feel.

Women are cyclical...the answer could be different depending on the time of the month. Eat until you're no longer hungry. When you're truly hungry, eat again.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

egyption grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs lol unless you count indigestible fiber as carbs which is why both drop your blood sugar like a brick. hypoglycemia is cool around here.
    and all this time fitday has been telling me that a cup of egg whites has 2g carbs or r u just saying that bec 2g is like nothing?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456