Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Thinking I need to add calories, but what kind? page 4

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Derp, hypoglycemic people like egg whites and dark chocolate because these do not spike one's blood sugar much, thereby helping them to stay on an even keel.
    Something does not spike blood sugar=/=something causes blood sugar crashes.
    Sure, if you just ignore all the problems with low blood sugar, I guess they just go away. Mind > matter, right? Point is, they already have low blood sugar in the first place, why would they want to lower it more? Makes entirely zero sense even if I put myself in the mindset of someone who has these problems.

Haha.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

PrimalStudent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Let's just have our own conversation over here, then... How are you feeling, other than the hunger? Energy, mood, cycle, skin, etc.?
    Both mood and energy get worse and worse as the week wears on -- on weekends, I go out with friends and eat much more than I do during the week, and as a result I have MUCH more energy and a MUCH better mood on weekends. By Tuesday or Wednesday, though, I'm a bitch. Cycle (I'm assuming you mean menstrual?) is normal, skin is pretty good.

Energy is bad because your carbs are so low. I don't get it, just listen to your body. You already know the answer, why even ask people here? They're not you, they can't possibly know how you feel, and with all the conflicting answers you'll never find one that actually makes sense. Your calorie intake is low because your metabolism is tanked due to the low carbs. I couldn't eat more than 1k calories either on VLC, absolutely zero appetite, eating was a complete chore and not fun at all.

If you listen to these people they'll have you eating 100g+ of fat every day even though your fat intake is already very, very high. It'll do nothing for you, believe me. You're young, not sedentary, probably study a lot(student) you need carbs.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Energy is bad because your carbs are so low. I don't get it, just listen to your body. You already know the answer, why even ask people here? They're not you, they can't possibly know how you feel, and with all the conflicting answers you'll never find one that actually makes sense. Your calorie intake is low because your metabolism is tanked due to the low carbs. I couldn't eat more than 1k calories either on VLC, absolutely zero appetite, eating was a complete chore and not fun at all.

If you listen to these people they'll have you eating 100g+ of fat every day even though your fat intake is already very, very high. It'll do nothing for you, believe me. You're young, not sedentary, probably study a lot(student) you need carbs.
    I guess the carb phobia gets to me sometimes. I've been on MDA for quite a while but I keep finding myself slipping back into this VLC eating, just out of fear.

What would you recommend as carb sources, given my activity level (noted in the original post)? Fruit vs. starch vs. more greens?

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Both mood and energy get worse and worse as the week wears on -- on weekends, I go out with friends and eat much more than I do during the week, and as a result I have MUCH more energy and a MUCH better mood on weekends. By Tuesday or Wednesday, though, I'm a bitch. Cycle (I'm assuming you mean menstrual?) is normal, skin is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix

If you listen to these people they'll have you eating 100g+ of fat every day even though your fat intake is already very, very high. It'll do nothing for you, believe me. You're young, not sedentary, probably study a lot(student) you need carbs
    Derp does all the answering for you! So that. And when you're out with friends and eating more, what kind of things are you eating? Probably not egg powder and 100% dark chocolate, right?

What would you recommend as carb sources, given my activity level (noted in the original post)? Fruit vs. starch vs. more greens?
    Fruit and starch yes. Greens no.

I guess the carb phobia gets to me sometimes. I've been on MDA for quite a while but I keep finding myself slipping back into this VLC eating, just out of fear.

Yeah, it's a problem, when you let the opinions of others influence your habits. Habits are hard to break.

I'd recommend a level similar to primal blueprint for now, something like 150-200g of fruit, potatoes, white rice, anything you want. You can raise it depending on how you're feeling, but that's a good level for coming off a VLC diet.

Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Derp does all the answering for you! So that. And when you're out with friends and eating more, what kind of things are you eating? Probably not egg powder and 100% dark chocolate, right?

Fruit and starch yes. Greens no.
    When I'm out with friends I'm not too strict, to be honest... I'm young and in college and want to really enjoy it. It's hard to be social in this environment without making compromises on diet sometimes. That said, my go-to brunches with friends are usually eggs and bacon and hashbrowns and tomatoes... but if I'm a little drunk on a Saturday night I might do a sandwich with real bread (I know, I know... but it's not super often).

Yeah, it's a problem, when you let the opinions of others influence your habits. Habits are hard to break.

I'd recommend a level similar to primal blueprint for now, something like 150-200g of fruit, potatoes, white rice, anything you want. You can raise it depending on how you're feeling, but that's a good level for coming off a VLC diet.
    Thanks a ton, Derp. I'll give it a try. Hopefully I keep myself from slipping back into the VLC... maybe I need to stop reading the forums for a few weeks honestly, haha.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    When I'm out with friends I'm not too strict, to be honest... I'm young and in college and want to really enjoy it. It's hard to be social in this environment without making compromises on diet sometimes. That said, my go-to brunches with friends are usually eggs and bacon and hashbrowns and tomatoes... but if I'm a little drunk on a Saturday night I might do a sandwich with real bread (I know, I know... but it's not super often).
    I highlighted your answers for you

Paleobird Guest
    Sure, if you just ignore all the problems with low blood sugar, I guess they just go away. Mind > matter, right? Point is, they already have low blood sugar in the first place, why would they want to lower it more? Makes entirely zero sense even if I put myself in the mindset of someone who has these problems.
    You still have yet to show that either of these two foods cause blood sugar to "drop like a brick". Not spiking=/=crashing.

But all that aside, I actually agree with Derp here that a young active person can handle more carbs and have nothing against that. Some fruit and a sweet potato would probably do you some good. What carb phobia? I choose VLC for my body but I don't say that it is optimal for everyone. I mostly just think the OP needs more Food. (New thread title: Eat Moar Food!)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast