Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking I need to add calories, but what kind? page 2

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    and what is this?

doesn't this end up reading "greater than 30-40 carbs....."?
    It's a way of quoting something easier
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs lol unless you count indigestible fiber as carbs which is why both drop your blood sugar like a brick. hypoglycemia is cool around here.
    What's the mechanism for that?
    As far as I was aware carb intake only had a positive pressure effect on blood sugar control, hence the Insulin spike to bring it down and by reducing carbs only reduced the size of the spike closer to baseline as determined by ones body.

I was not aware that a non carb intake caused instant Hypoglcemia, causing insulin levels to plummet.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Neither egg whites(0 carbs) nor 100% dark chocolate have carbs. hypoglycemia is cool around here.

and oooh a cup of strawberries big time amount of carbs there. 30-40 isn't enough

gj though typical condescending response from a keto stick waving drone
    That is why I suggested real eggs, whole food as opposed to isolated protein. And I never said sugar free chocolate had carbs. You just ignore the squash, coconut and berries and dub all her carbs "shitty". She asked for help, not abuse.

Somebody's being pouty today.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Here's a sample of what a typical day looks like for me:

11am -- 6 tablespoons shredded coconut (it's slightly reduced fat, just because that's what my whole foods carries... 100 calories and 9g fat in six tablespoons) with about 56g dark chocolate (no sugar... it's pure cacao in bar form) and some egg white protein powder (jay robb brand. 24g protein)

6pm -- usually 8oz of grass fed ground beef sauteed with vegetables like kale or spaghetti squash. But if I can't get my hands on grass fed, I'll do 8 oz ground turkey and add two eggs or some extra cooking fat.

If I'm still hungry after that, I'll have around a cup of strawberries.

All of that comes to around 1100-1200 calories, just under 70g fat, 80g protein, and 30-40g carbs. I still always seem to be hungry, I figure I should raise my calories a bit, but can't decide what macro to increase. As a side note, my main form of exercise is walking between 2 and 4 miles every day, and body weight exercises once or twice a week.
    Just try eat more real food, IMO smoothies are a treat.
    Add more fat for a while, if that doesn't do it for you try add more carbs, I think your overall calorie intake is too low and the macro's are not really the problem, just the volume.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    What's the mechanism for that?
    As far as I was aware carb intake only had a positive pressure effect on blood sugar control, hence the Insulin spike to bring it down and by reducing carbs only reduced the size of the spike closer to baseline as determined by ones body.

I was not aware that a non carb intake caused instant Hypoglcemia, causing insulin levels to plummet.
    Fiber blunts the insulin response in the presence of carbs so obviously when you don't have carbs that blunted response leads to an instant hypoglycemic coma. Geesh. Why do I have to spell it out for ya .

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Whatever you want them to be.

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Neckhammer, I can't speak for the OP but she does ask what macro to increase, not how to proportionally increase her current macros.

I do agree that any of these suggestions could be helpful, i.e. eating real eggs, adding a meal, etc. but I do think being more well balanced (adding real carbs from fruit and/or starchy vegetables) will not decrease her health in any way.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post
    Neckhammer, I can't speak for the OP but she does ask what macro to increase, not how to proportionally increase her current macros.

I do agree that any of these suggestions could be helpful, i.e. eating real eggs, adding a meal, etc. but I do think being more well balanced (adding real carbs from fruit and/or starchy vegetables) will not decrease her health in any way.
    Hahah.... yeah, I added a sentence to that to acknowledged I missed that part

Meh, she's not doing "intense" training so IMO she could choose either fat or carbs to fuel her current activity level and fair equally well. Depends on what OP prefers, or if she enjoys other non-weight related factors of ketotic levels. I know when I'm at ketotic levels I can reach a zen sorta state good for study and retention. But, thats obviously not the same for everyone.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Fiber blunts the insulin response in the presence of carbs so obviously when you don't have carbs that blunted response leads to an instant hypoglycemic coma. Geesh. Why do I have to spell it out for ya .
    Got it,
    To avoid hypoglycemic coma don't eat egg whites or dark chocolate.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I don't like that you're eating protein powder at 11. Definitely need some REAL ANIMAL protein in there! Lately what I have been eating at around 11 or 12 is sauteed mussels and squid! Freaking delicious - And I don't even put seasoning except salt on them - MAN! Throw some of them in a pan with coconut oil and holy hell you will be in heaven, well that is... if you like shellfish/seafood - lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast