I'm new to primal. It's been great so far. I have faultered a little the last couple days due to illness and total lack of energy, but nothing crazy (quinoa and "paleo" ice cream). Anyway, I'm really committed to it for health, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for some fat loss as well. Once I am feeling better, I will get back to some exercise too.

I see people talking about eating different ratios of fat/carb/protein and see a lot of different opinions depending on goals and starting weight and activity levels. I had thought I was just supposed to eat primal foods to satisfaction and not worry about calories or be afraid of fat. Now I'm a little confused.

I am a 36yr old woman. I have thyroid disease and am on replacement hormones for that. I chase my 20mos old son around all day. I was walking 30-45min several times a week, but that was it due to serious hip bursitis which is now finally improving after two rounds of steroid injections. Sigh. I am still nursing my son and he actually nurses many times per day. I am about 5'6" and 146lbs. I would like to lose 8-10lbs, but mostly I just want to lose inches. I took measurements and my arms and legs are actually smaller than they used to be, but my belly is much bigger and flabby. I would really really really love to lose the belly flab. Like really really.

So given that information and my goals, should I be tailoring my diet at all? I am sticking to meat (grass-fed), raw dairy, veggies, eggs (from my own chickens), fruits, nuts, oils (coconut, olive, etc), and some potato and quinoa. That's it. I am not planning on doing 80/20. I just want to try to do 100% as my goal and not freak out if I mess up occasionally. If I aim for 80/20, I think it would creep into 70/30, 60/40, etc.

Sample meals:

Breakfast this morning: 1 avocado with 3 strips of bacon and a fruit/veggie/greek yogurt smoothie (SUPER high fat meal!!)
2 eggs, ham, and a smoothie
some other egg and meat combo

large burger with cheddar, 1/2 avocado with sauteed onions and a salad
chef salad (ham, eggs, cheese, etc)

steak and baked potato w/butter and sour cream and roasted brussel sprouts
chicken breast cooked in coconut oil and asparagus
chili (ground beef, tomatoes, onions) with shredded cheese
beef brisket and roasted veggies

I am not snacking much, but if I do, it's usually a piece of cheese or some ham or some nuts. I am not paleofying much food, but have made coconut bread and banana carrot muffins mostly for my son. I also plan to try a paleo pizza soon.

Any feedback is really appreciated.