Thread: Confused about cals/macros/etc page

Elliottsmama is offline Junior Member

Confused about cals/macros/etc

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to primal. It's been great so far. I have faultered a little the last couple days due to illness and total lack of energy, but nothing crazy (quinoa and "paleo" ice cream). Anyway, I'm really committed to it for health, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for some fat loss as well. Once I am feeling better, I will get back to some exercise too.

I see people talking about eating different ratios of fat/carb/protein and see a lot of different opinions depending on goals and starting weight and activity levels. I had thought I was just supposed to eat primal foods to satisfaction and not worry about calories or be afraid of fat. Now I'm a little confused.

I am a 36yr old woman. I have thyroid disease and am on replacement hormones for that. I chase my 20mos old son around all day. I was walking 30-45min several times a week, but that was it due to serious hip bursitis which is now finally improving after two rounds of steroid injections. Sigh. I am still nursing my son and he actually nurses many times per day. I am about 5'6" and 146lbs. I would like to lose 8-10lbs, but mostly I just want to lose inches. I took measurements and my arms and legs are actually smaller than they used to be, but my belly is much bigger and flabby. I would really really really love to lose the belly flab. Like really really.

So given that information and my goals, should I be tailoring my diet at all? I am sticking to meat (grass-fed), raw dairy, veggies, eggs (from my own chickens), fruits, nuts, oils (coconut, olive, etc), and some potato and quinoa. That's it. I am not planning on doing 80/20. I just want to try to do 100% as my goal and not freak out if I mess up occasionally. If I aim for 80/20, I think it would creep into 70/30, 60/40, etc.

Sample meals:

Breakfast this morning: 1 avocado with 3 strips of bacon and a fruit/veggie/greek yogurt smoothie (SUPER high fat meal!!)
    OR
    2 eggs, ham, and a smoothie
    OR
    some other egg and meat combo

Lunch:

large burger with cheddar, 1/2 avocado with sauteed onions and a salad
    OR
    chef salad (ham, eggs, cheese, etc)
    OR
    leftovers

Dinner:
    steak and baked potato w/butter and sour cream and roasted brussel sprouts
    OR
    chicken breast cooked in coconut oil and asparagus
    OR
    chili (ground beef, tomatoes, onions) with shredded cheese
    OR
    beef brisket and roasted veggies

I am not snacking much, but if I do, it's usually a piece of cheese or some ham or some nuts. I am not paleofying much food, but have made coconut bread and banana carrot muffins mostly for my son. I also plan to try a paleo pizza soon.

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Anyone?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I think you should just eat what your body wants for the time being. After your child is no longer nursing (or no longer nursing so much) is when you can start to think about what changes you might want or need to make.

Lots of people find that as they listen to their hunger they start gradually losing weight without making any special effort to do so.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    American potatoes are not primal, they are, in fact, a member of the nightshade family. Sweet potatoes and all other South American potatoes are OK. Quinoa is not primal. For carbs primal is all about roots and greens. If you want 100% primal, everything else looks OK.

I don't know if bursitis has any relation to arthritis, but nightshades are bad for arthritis.

Running around after a 2-year old is a lot of exercise.

As for macros, enter your meals into a nutrition tracker, like paleotrack.com, for a week and average out the resultant macros to see what yours are. Low Carb means < 150g. If you want to loose weight try to stay between 50 - 100g. The macros I try for to maintain the same weight are 65%, 25%, 10%. "The Paleo Blueprint" suggests 0.7g protein/1kg lean mass and then adjust macros from that with deficit calories for weight loss.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Just eat the primal foods. Evaluate your success in 30-60 days and decide if you think you need to change anything.

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Hi I ve been pretty much 95 percent paleo since November and have never counted calories or measured my protein intake. I found in the first month I ate regularly the same amounts whilst I got used to it but now I m more guided by hunger and what my body seems to want - you do get more in tune with yourself once you ve been away from processed sugary foods which confuse your body. I had an initial rapid weight loss for 2 months and then seemed to stop losing for a while but again in the last month more has come off.

I do eat white potatoes, I don t like sweet potatoes that much, and I also get carbs from bananas and dates. You ll have to find your own way re carbs, my personal approach is to only use natural carbs and accept that my weight loss will be slower and might be intermittent but that's how I feel comfortable eating. For some reason it isn t difficult for me to keep the carbs in check so long as I stick to natural sources. I m not averse to eating white rice either although I don t cook it myself.

Having said that about carbs, I do sometimes have very low carb days and Don t usually feel any different but that's only been in the last 2 months. My experience has been to not stress your body too much on low carb for the first three months. And anyway I ll never stop eating that incredible source of energy that is the banana! One of the wonders of nature :-)

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliottsmama View Post
    I'm new to primal. It's been great so far. I have faultered a little the last couple days due to illness and total lack of energy, but nothing crazy (quinoa and "paleo" ice cream). Anyway, I'm really committed to it for health, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for some fat loss as well. Once I am feeling better, I will get back to some exercise too.

I see people talking about eating different ratios of fat/carb/protein and see a lot of different opinions depending on goals and starting weight and activity levels. I had thought I was just supposed to eat primal foods to satisfaction and not worry about calories or be afraid of fat. Now I'm a little confused.

I am a 36yr old woman. I have thyroid disease and am on replacement hormones for that. I chase my 20mos old son around all day. I was walking 30-45min several times a week, but that was it due to serious hip bursitis which is now finally improving after two rounds of steroid injections. Sigh. I am still nursing my son and he actually nurses many times per day. I am about 5'6" and 146lbs. I would like to lose 8-10lbs, but mostly I just want to lose inches. I took measurements and my arms and legs are actually smaller than they used to be, but my belly is much bigger and flabby. I would really really really love to lose the belly flab. Like really really.

So given that information and my goals, should I be tailoring my diet at all? I am sticking to meat (grass-fed), raw dairy, veggies, eggs (from my own chickens), fruits, nuts, oils (coconut, olive, etc), and some potato and quinoa. That's it. I am not planning on doing 80/20. I just want to try to do 100% as my goal and not freak out if I mess up occasionally. If I aim for 80/20, I think it would creep into 70/30, 60/40, etc.

Sample meals:

Breakfast this morning: 1 avocado with 3 strips of bacon and a fruit/veggie/greek yogurt smoothie (SUPER high fat meal!!)
    OR
    2 eggs, ham, and a smoothie
    OR
    some other egg and meat combo

Lunch:

large burger with cheddar, 1/2 avocado with sauteed onions and a salad
    OR
    chef salad (ham, eggs, cheese, etc)
    OR
    leftovers

Dinner:
    steak and baked potato w/butter and sour cream and roasted brussel sprouts
    OR
    chicken breast cooked in coconut oil and asparagus
    OR
    chili (ground beef, tomatoes, onions) with shredded cheese
    OR
    beef brisket and roasted veggies

I am not snacking much, but if I do, it's usually a piece of cheese or some ham or some nuts. I am not paleofying much food, but have made coconut bread and banana carrot muffins mostly for my son. I also plan to try a paleo pizza soon.

Any feedback is really appreciated.
    The eventual answer is that you eat certain foods to satiety.

But in the beginning, if you've got a busted metabolism, gut issues, and food intolerances there's a decent strategy to repair that as you work your way toward that eventual goal.

I thought quinoa was primal, but not paleo. I thought I read that on the webpage here and it was recommended to just eat very small quantities if you were going to have some. Hmm... Maybe I read it wrong.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Or maybe my memory is faulty.
    Best if you search for it.

Thanks. I remembered where I saw the information. It was here:

Mark&#039;s Daily Apple

I guess it's primal if you are more moderate in your views. Seems like a gray area. It's not a grain, but it's high in carbs. It definitely has the potential for overuse and overconsumption for me. I will continue to make it for my son, but I've actually decided to give the Whole 30 a try and just reset my body and mindset with food. I'm hoping it might make a difference in my thyroid condition too since I have Hashimoto's and I've read some people were able to improve it with the Whole30.

Thanks so much for your input. I guess I was mostly confused about whether this was a high fat or high protein diet and it seems to be high fat, moderate protein, low carb.