Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pull Up Bar Recommendations Please page

Paleobird Guest

Pull Up Bar Recommendations Please

Shop Now
    I have moved from my house to a rented condo so I had to leave my built in pull up bar behind. Now I'm in a place where my primary concern is getting one that doesn't wreck the paint around the doorframe. (I obviously can't attach anything to the structure so I'm left with the portable type.)

A bit of Googling and Amazon hunting shows that there are bunches of them out there. Some swear in the advert that they won't scratch the walls and then customer feedback says that they do.

So who should I believe? My fellow Groks, of course.

Doesn't have to be fancy, just functional and non-damaging to doorways.

Thanks

Robin

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Do you have space? If you page down on Amazon, there are some freestanding units.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Do you have space? If you page down on Amazon, there are some freestanding units.
    Yeah, I saw those but no, floor space is at a premium right now. I have gone from a 4br/4ba house to a 2br/2ba condo so I really don't want anything that takes up more space.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I just suck it up and take the doorframe damage. It's a cheap place, and paint isn't a huge deal.

I've been reading "Becoming a Supple Leopard" by KStar and he says that pullups with the knees bent are less effective because... less activation in the core and glutes, maybe? I forget. Not that I'm going to quit, but it's apparently not as effective as was once believed.

Honestly, depending on space and how long I planned on staying, I wouldn't be opposed to putting up a ceiling or wall-mounted bar. It'll be four holes in the surface, and they are pretty easy to fill in with putty when you take it down. I do the same thing with pot racks and key racks (though I leave the key racks behind, usually). A ceiling bar would allow for more free-hanging space as well as let me use my suspension trainer/TRX/rings for more fun.

Paleobird Guest
    Although I would love to have a ceiling mounted one and agree with you that I like full extension, I really don't think this place is solidly built enough to take it. Besides anything beyond hanging a picture, and I have to get first my landlady's approval and then the HOA. Probably not going to happen.

So, of the doorway kind, anybody have any experience with which one would would do the least damage? I really would like to get my security deposit back when I leave.

boomingno is offline Member
    I have this one...

Amazon.com: ProSource Heavy-Duty Easy Gym Doorway Chin-Up/Pull-Up Bar: Sports & Outdoors

Only thing remotely close to damage i have noticed is that the padding on the top brace does rub off onto the wall a bit, but my walls are also lightly textured. I padded the bars that hit the doorframe with a pair of old socks. Works great

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomingno View Post
    I have this one...

Amazon.com: ProSource Heavy-Duty Easy Gym Doorway Chin-Up/Pull-Up Bar: Sports & Outdoors

Only thing remotely close to damage i have noticed is that the padding on the top brace does rub off onto the wall a bit, but my walls are also lightly textured. I padded the bars that hit the doorframe with a pair of old socks. Works great
    Yeah...the sock thing. I was going to suggest that too. I have what looks like this:Amazon.com: Iron Gym Total Upper Body Workout Bar: Sports & Outdoors

I thought I had bought mine from Amazon, but I can't find the order, so I must've gotten it somewhere else. I haven't used it in awhile. I need to get back to it. I had inflamed cartilage in my ribcage from a particularly nasty cough and it took along time before it healed.

BrodieMN is offline Member
    BE CAREFUL with the bar that you hang over the door frame!!!!!! Ensure that the molding is nailed into the frame and not only into the sheetrock.

My story: I hung my pullup bar over my bedroom door and would do one or two pullups walking in or out of the room. One day I pulled myself up and as I almost reached the top I found myself flat on my back holding the bar. The door frame gave way. I was lucky as the door frame with nails narrowly missed my face. I laid there on my back in awe that my back didn't hurt either

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    We have the Iron Gym Xtreme fixed up above one of our doors. Good stuff, quite versatile and does what it is supposed to, but we are not very heavy (I myself am 145lbs).

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure which doorframe bar i have (bought it 4 years ago), but i have found that i can protect the doorframe and walls pretty easily...since i rent as well. i put a strip of painters tape over part of the wall that frame presses against to keep from removing any paint. and, i covered the padding that presses on the door frame with some athletic tape to keep it from marking up the frame. if i can get my cats to stop clawing at the carpet, i know i'll get my deposit back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast