Hi everyone, my name is Laurie, and I (as well as my family) are just getting started with primal eating. We do have some budget concerns, so I am trying to figure out the best places to "make cuts" nutritionally, and the places where we really need to go all out and do it "the right way."

To give you an idea of what we are dealing with... we are soon to be a family of 8 (our next little one should arrive in June). Thankfully our kids are still somewhat young (8 and under), so are not HUGE eaters yet... I do fear the coming teenage years though. Anyway, I "thought" we were doing a pretty good job of eating - a couple of servings of fruit for everyone each day, and a serving or two of veggies. Then of course we did lots of grains, some legumes, and just a little meat (because it was expensive). I made pretty much everything from scratch. I would buy a 25 pound bag of bread flour from Costco to make bread from. Clearly those days are over, and our budget for food will go up. The good news is that my husband did just get a fairly decent raise at work. The bad news is that we are still a family of 8, and even with that raise, he makes no where near 6 figures, so something has to give.

Okay, so I really wish it was just as simple as eating veggies, meat, eggs, and some fruit and seeds. Clearly it is NOT. So, meat, how important is grass fed? It seems to me that this is a big one! Now, there is no way we have the budget for ALL grass fed meat, but I'm thinking if it's grass fed about 1/3 of the time and lean most of the rest of the time, and an occasional rotisserie chicken from Costco the rest of the time we will be good - for the most part??? Pork - just try and get organic? What should I do there? Eggs - we did just buy some baby chicks, but they are not laying yet, and they will not keep up with our eggs needs (probably will provide for about 1/3 of our egg needs). The rest of our eggs will need to be purchased. We are in a rural area, so it's possible I may be able to find a couple of families who are getting too many eggs from their chickens and are willing to sell their eggs at a decent price. If I go to the store though, should I get the Omega 3 eggs? Are they really any better then the mass produced ones? Fruit and veggies - which are the most important to eat organic? I'm already buying organic spinach. I have special "wash" that I use for other fruits and veggies? Is that "wash" good, or should I just use water or something else. Also, how many seeds and nuts are too much? They are a cheaper source of high calorie food, so to fill us up I have been taking advantage of lots of seeds and nuts, and cooking with almond flour and coconut flour.

Anyway, all of this to say, if you really didn't have the money to go all out, what would you do? What is the best way to get the most "bang for my buck" with the food I buy?

Thanks for any and all help you can offer!!

Laurie