Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearty Packed Lunches For Outdoor Work? page

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member

Question Hearty Packed Lunches For Outdoor Work?

Primal Fuel
    My husband is a farmer and also works tending graveyards and other people's properties. He is out in the outdoors working HARD. A salad will not do for my husband. I usually make him a sandwich and send some fruit. I want to get my husband off grains because he is having some joint pain and inflamation (a young fit 27 year old should not have this). Also he is a very basic eater. He does eat my more exotic creations but he is not used to them. He is weirded out by things that do not seem like the standard Americn idea of a meal. Suggestions?

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Some sort of thermal flask or lunchbox, filled with chilli, meat loaf or stew?

Badkty22 is offline Senior Member
    You could look at making your own bread, paleo-style. TGIPaleo.com has a recipe I am going to try, its her Paleo Bread 2.0. Coconut flour, egg whites, and egg white powder are all included, which will give a big dose of filling protein. Then he can still have his sandwiches without all the irritating grains.

Other options-
    Roasted chicken pieces served cold are usually tasty, that plus a big salad or other veggie side.
    Sliced meat and cheese "wraps"

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking about a thermos. Probably would not be great on 90 degree days but maybe on normal days. I will check out the bread recipe.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I work outdoors, and right now it's already close to 100, so I'm usually going for cool foods. I bring a small cooler and get a ton of ice in it.

My favorites?

Boiled and peeled eggs
    Olives
    Pickles (check the ingredients)
    Cheese (either sliced or chunks)
    A few nuts
    Sliced deli meat (again, check the ingredients)
    Carrots

I'm also a huge fan of the cans of carbonated water. Sometimes you just want those bubbles, and they really do the trick.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Take a glass baking dish. Put in a lb of ground beef that you've sauteed. Add one grated sweet potato if you like carbs. Whisk a dozen eggs and pour over the top. Bake until set. Slice. Put several slices in lunchbox with some hunks of raw cheese and a piece of fruit if you really like carbs.

Or hard-boiled eggs, cheese, and cooked strips of steak, and a can of sardines. Throw in a can of coconut milk for extra heavy days.

Either way, he won't be hungry.

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    If you add cheese, I find it really satisfying to roll sliced cheese with sliced deli-style meat (if you eat that) like a pinwheel; a large hamburger with whatever his favorite toppings are (just no bun - even my own SO does this now! and I am finding I like the "smothered" burger better without the bread now anyway); also a cheat to quick chili is to cook ground whatever meat (or sausage), then add spaghetti sauce, then season as you like adding heat/spice/cumin to make it taste like chili. Hard workers do need carbs but they don't need bread; does he eat sweet potatoes at all? If so, include them, and remember white rice is a pretty clean gluten/allergen free source of carbs (mix it in the chili) etc. Also, maybe have him try bulletproof (butter) coffee in the mornings, it should help his stamina all day: 1/2 to 3/4 stick butter, blended in hot coffee; you don't even need creamer or sweetener with it.
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

Wulf is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I mean by smothered burgers! Burger Party | The Domestic Man
    Natural products super cheap @ iherb: Use discount code SEN850 at http://www.iherb.com/?rcode=sen850 for $10 off first order; free shipping $20+ order in USA

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Keep the ideas coming peeps! I've had a Big-Ass-Salad everyday for lunch for the past 6 weeks and I almost ready for a change.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    a couple sausages and bacon with some veggies or salsa wrapped in an omelette and rolled up in foil. An all day breakfast burrito!. I love em hot or cold

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast