Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Unexpected weight gain page

  1. #1
    Primal-Kate's Avatar
    Primal-Kate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    7

    Unexpected weight gain

    Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

    My first post so please be gentle! I started going Primal 8 days ago, I'm so glad I found out about Primal, I've been going round and round in circles for years yo-yoing with my weight, wondering why I don't lose when I should etc, I've tried all manor of diets, so I'm really hoping Primal is THE one. I certainly feel safe on it and am enjoying it.

    Anyhow, this leads me to my question... Wasn't sure if this was the place to ask so please point me in the right direction if not! I started losing weight from day one, only a quarter of a pound a day, until the weekend when I lost 2lb each day. I was also ill on Saturday evening (had a small creme brulee and half a bottle of wine and was sick! My first and only naughtiness since starting) and of course on Sunday weighed in lower so I was very pleasantly surprised. However, over Monday and tuesday I have gained those two pounds... I am putting everything I eat into My Fitness Pal so I can monitor carbs and I'm coming in around the 50g a day at the moment. I know you will all shout at me for weighing everyday, but this is how I roll... Always have, always will! Has anyone else had experience with this? I know not to expect miracles overnight and I'm hoping to be Primal for the long haul, but I can think of no other explanation for this gain - I was sick only the once? Sorry if TMI!

    Thanks for any replies.

  2. #2
    aliphian's Avatar
    aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    432
    Tell us what you've been eating. Also, don't pay attention to daily differences in weight. Pay attention to weekly or, better yet, monthly weight differences.

  3. #3
    Primal-Kate's Avatar
    Primal-Kate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    7
    Thanks aliphian,

    Today I had..

    Blueberries and almonds and two hard boiled eggs for breakfast

    Ratatouille and chicken for lunch (bell peppers, courgette, aubergine, and tomatoes)

    Chilli minus beans with just onion, spices and tinned tomatoes plus rocket tomatoes and cucumber for tea

    Snacks were... Macadamia nuts (30g) olives, and dark chocolate

    I do have tea and coffee and had 4 cups with full fat milk.

    Yesterday was..

    Breakfast - fried egg, bacon, mushrooms and tomato in olive oil

    Lunch - Ratatouille and two hard boiled eggs

    Tea - primal pot roast beef with broccoli and carrots

    Snacks and drinks as above....

    What do you think?

  4. #4
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    If something bothered your body enough to make you sick to your stomach, it can also be causing inflammation (hence temporary weight gain). It is your body ringing the alarm bells due to a poisonous substance having been let in.

    Also a two pound shift one way or the other is really not significant.

    I am not one of those people who advocate chucking the scale. I think it is important to know where you stand. My way of finding a middle ground is that I weigh every day but have a rule with myself that no gain or loss is "real" unless it is at least a three day trend.

  5. #5
    Sandra in BC's Avatar
    Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,102
    What do you think?
    1. Read the book.

    2. While you're reading the book or waiting to read the book, concentrate on getting used to the foods and this way of eating, and on how the foods make you feel. Specifically, what true hunger feels like.

    3. Don't snack. Especially dont' snack to stave off hunger. Get used to feeling true hunger, and respond to it with a meal of real, whole food and ample fat.

    4. Ditch the scale, especially for the first couple of months. Pay attention to what your body says, not the scale.

    5. Eat for optimal heath, not weight loss. Let weight loss be a result of optimal eating.

    6. I don't see anything wrong with the foods you're eating. Be sure to eat foods that you enjoy and give you lots of satisfaction. Don't be on a diet.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

    There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

    DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

  6. #6
    Primal-Kate's Avatar
    Primal-Kate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    If something bothered your body enough to make you sick to your stomach, it can also be causing inflammation (hence temporary weight gain). It is your body ringing the alarm bells due to a poisonous substance having been let in.

    Also a two pound shift one way or the other is really not significant.

    I am not one of those people who advocate chucking the scale. I think it is important to know where you stand. My way of finding a middle ground is that I weigh every day but have a rule with myself that no gain or loss is "real" unless it is at least a three day trend.

    Thanks for this. That makes sense, I'm so used to doing VLCD's that I'm used to a lose daily. I need to get over it!

    Could the inflammation be down to the creme brle and wine, even tho I had only been on the diet a few days?

  7. #7
    Annieh's Avatar
    Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,373
    That sounds really good, Kate. You seem to have incorporated the primal principles to your diet.

    It sounds similar to the kind and amount that I eat to maintain approx 59kg, I am 5'4" and exercise a couple times a week. Bear in mind, my weight does fluctuate though within a band of a kilo either side, depending on the time of the month, so I think you needn't worry about a little blip on the scale as long as the overall trend is downward.

    So, do you have much weight to lose? And are you exercising? If you are close to your goal and not exercising, then you will probably need to do more to achieve fat loss.

    If you are a long way to your goal, then maybe cut back on the nuts, add a little bit of movement and see if that helps.

  8. #8
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal-Kate View Post
    Thanks for this. That makes sense, I'm so used to doing VLCD's that I'm used to a lose daily. I need to get over it!

    Could the inflammation be down to the creme brle and wine, even tho I had only been on the diet a few days?
    Yes. If your body didn't like it enough to puke, it was officially registered as poison. You may also be reacting to the sulfates in the wine. I really used to like a good glass of red but now I find it makes me all puffy the next day (fingers, ankles) even if I didn't even drink enough to get a good buzz going. It takes several days for inflammation like that to calm down and flush out. Be patient.

    You could also have some other food sensitivity. Some people are bothered by nightshades which your menu has aplenty.

  9. #9
    Primal-Kate's Avatar
    Primal-Kate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    That sounds really good, Kate. You seem to have incorporated the primal principles to your diet.

    It sounds similar to the kind and amount that I eat to maintain approx 59kg, I am 5'4" and exercise a couple times a week. Bear in mind, my weight does fluctuate though within a band of a kilo either side, depending on the time of the month, so I think you needn't worry about a little blip on the scale as long as the overall trend is downward.

    So, do you have much weight to lose? And are you exercising? If you are close to your goal and not exercising, then you will probably need to do more to achieve fat loss.

    If you are a long way to your goal, then maybe cut back on the nuts, add a little bit of movement and see if that helps.
    Thank you!

    I'm not exercising yet, I was hoping to get the food part right and then get going on the exercise. I work in "stones" and I'm 11-10lb I want to lose at least 10lb as that's as far as I got with VLCD'S any more will be a bonus. I never got that low when doing slimming world or weight watchers... Hmmm I wonder why?!

  10. #10
    Primal-Kate's Avatar
    Primal-Kate is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Southern England
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes. If your body didn't like it enough to puke, it was officially registered as poison. You may also be reacting to the sulfates in the wine. I really used to like a good glass of red but now I find it makes me all puffy the next day (fingers, ankles) even if I didn't even drink enough to get a good buzz going. It takes several days for inflammation like that to calm down and flush out. Be patient.

    You could also have some other food sensitivity. Some people are bothered by nightshades which your menu has aplenty.
    That's great to know, thank you. Can I ask, what are night shades? Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •