Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confused! page

JonnyH is offline Senior Member

Confused!

Shop Now
    Hi

Posted this earlier on Jack Kruse site, thought I'd share my thoughts here too.

Recently Iíve been doing a lot of reading, books and internet articles on diets etc. with a view to lowering my ever increasing cholesterol, and trying to stop or reverse my slightly furred up carotid artery, see here:

http://jackkruse.com/forum/showthrea...abs-in-worried!

I have read the Starch Solution, Eat to live, and various other books that believe a lower-fat, higher carb, plant based diet is the way to go for longevity and lowering cholesterol.

What interests me while reading these books, is they are the exact same format as the Primal Blueprint, the Paleo solution, Low carb living etc. whereby they frequently cite studies to back up their proposals to a healthy diet.
    They are also littered with success stories throughout, as do the Paleo books, like Ďhow I lost x poundsí or ĎHow I lowered my Cholesterolí etc.

Itís the same with articles on the internet, they all contradict each other, some say high fat/low carb, some high carb/low fat, some in between. It makes your head spin trying to fathom out whatís the best way to eat!

So how does one decide which diet to choose?! Iíve been low carb/high fat for 3 years now, and something isnít right with my cholesterol as high as it is, and with the furring of my artery, Iím worried!

I recently have gone lower fat, higher carbs, 150-200g p/day, in the form of sweet potatoes, some legumes and oats(both have been soaked overnight), and 3-4 pieces of fruit a day.
    Iíve cut down on butter, eggs, cream and meat in general.
    I have also up my veg intake considerably.

Maybe Iím one of the small percentage that doesnít do well on high fat diets.?!

Iím now reading Nourishing Traditions, what are the views on this book?
    Seems to be more of a balanced approach to diet, not favouring higher fat or carbs in particular.

Thanks

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    Maybe I’m one of the small percentage that doesn’t do well on high fat diets.?!
    It looks like you've made a commitment to a low fat low protein diet. So how will you determine whether it is a success for you?

andi is offline Member
    I've been in your shoes much too often. I think what is significantly different about eating primal is that it is seemingly a lot more natural. If you think about what animals eat, carnivores eat meat; herbivores eat plants. Further, this morning I created this thread which might be of interest to you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84273.html

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    It looks like you've made a commitment to a low fat low protein diet. So how will you determine whether it is a success for you?
    Hi, I'm not low fat, just lower than I have been the last 3 years.

Blood test scheduled in June will tell me if this new way of eating is better for me I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by andi View Post
    I've been in your shoes much too often. I think what is significantly different about eating primal is that it is seemingly a lot more natural. If you think about what animals eat, carnivores eat meat; herbivores eat plants. Further, this morning I created this thread which might be of interest to you: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84273.html
    Thanks for reply, I will read the artices linked later.

This is what I find so confusing, you say what animals eat etc. But the books I've read recently all make good cases for humans actually should be plant eaters primarily. Likewise Primal Bueprint and the like make good cases for us being meat eaters.

Who do we believe?!

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    There are always studies to back up whatever claims people want to make. Keep in mind that studies are not as objective or scientifically pure as they claim to be and often appear to be. Many are skewed, either intentionally or unintentionally, right from the start, by using biased controls or seeded test groups, or incorrect grouping/separating of various factors. The bottom line is that scientific studies done in a lab by people that are not you will only get you so far.

What you really need is self experimentation and that is because everyone is different. Many people thrive on a high fat low carb diet. Many people thrive on a low fat high carb diet. Many people thrive on Muscle Milk and Wheaties. Many people thrive on many different things. Nutrition and exercise and rest and health are not, nor have they ever been, one size fits all. Trying to make them so will always result in failure.

So do what works for you. Try out different protocols and see what makes your body feel good. When you stop feeling good, change things up.

Most diets, from fruitarians to paleo, vegans to primal, agree that eating whole foods, avoiding rancid oils, and quitting processed foods (including sodas and the like) is the most valuable decision you can make for yourself. The menu you end up with after eliminating those things is up to you and what works best for your system.

andi is offline Member

This is what I find so confusing, you say what animals eat etc. But the books I've read recently all make good cases for humans actually should be plant eaters primarily. Likewise Primal Bueprint and the like make good cases for us being meat eaters.

Who do we believe?!
    Well, personally I've only had success since eating primal. I wasn't looking to necessarily lose weight, (at 5'5 it fluctuates from 112-115) but I did gain muscle mass, my headaches have gone away, I'm sleeping better and feeling more rested. I think you need to try it and see for yourself.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I'm not low fat, just lower than I have been the last 3 years.

Blood test scheduled in June will tell me if this new way of eating is better for me I guess.
    So numbers on a single blood test are the only thing you intend to base your determination of your level of health on?

Who do we believe?!
    It sounds like you have decided to believe that we are intended to be herbivores, based on a number of books that are making claims that the natural diet of humans is plant-based.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I base my diet on that of HG society in general. We have pretty good estimate of what a couple hundred of these societies ate and none of them seem to suffer from diseases of civilization (CVD, diabetes, cancer... ect). Guess what. There aren't any vegan HG societies anywhere ever. On average they get approximately 70% of their calories from hunted game. That leaves 30% for plant matter. This is documented fact.

How much meat you consume may be up to you. There is quite a variety to choose from, but you really do have to eat SOME animal if your gonna eat the human diet. I don't put stock in cholesterol tests (most people who have heart attacks and strokes have normal or low cholesterol).... and I'm not sure what a furred up carotid is??? Maybe you should consider getting a coronary calcium score instead and tracking inflammatory markers. Just a thought.

Basically eat like a predator not like prey (acknowledgements to J. Stanton GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo)

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    So numbers on a single blood test are the only thing you intend to base your determination of your level of health on?

No, blood test to determine choesterol numbers. I will also see how I feel with sightly higher carb/lower fat, especially with respect to sport etc. I have found I seem drained on a low carb diet while working out regularly, woud like to see if that improves with the higher carbs.

It sounds like you have decided to believe that we are intended to be herbivores, based on a number of books that are making claims that the natural diet of humans is plant-based.
    No I haven't, that's the point of my post, I don't know, I read books, articles, all with conflicting info, how do you decide what's right?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast