Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confused! page 2

JonnyH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    There are always studies to back up whatever claims people want to make. Keep in mind that studies are not as objective or scientifically pure as they claim to be and often appear to be. Many are skewed, either intentionally or unintentionally, right from the start, by using biased controls or seeded test groups, or incorrect grouping/separating of various factors. The bottom line is that scientific studies done in a lab by people that are not you will only get you so far.

What you really need is self experimentation and that is because everyone is different. Many people thrive on a high fat low carb diet. Many people thrive on a low fat high carb diet. Many people thrive on Muscle Milk and Wheaties. Many people thrive on many different things. Nutrition and exercise and rest and health are not, nor have they ever been, one size fits all. Trying to make them so will always result in failure.

So do what works for you. Try out different protocols and see what makes your body feel good. When you stop feeling good, change things up.

Most diets, from fruitarians to paleo, vegans to primal, agree that eating whole foods, avoiding rancid oils, and quitting processed foods (including sodas and the like) is the most valuable decision you can make for yourself. The menu you end up with after eliminating those things is up to you and what works best for your system.
    That's a great post, thanks for that. I agree with eating whole foods, avoiding bad oils and processed foods, I steer well clear of those.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I base my diet on that of HG society in general. We have pretty good estimate of what a couple hundred of these societies ate and none of them seem to suffer from diseases of civilization (CVD, diabetes, cancer... ect). Guess what. There aren't any vegan HG societies anywhere ever. On average they get approximately 70% of their calories from hunted game. That leaves 30% for plant matter. This is documented fact.

How much meat you consume may be up to you. There is quite a variety to choose from, but you really do have to eat SOME animal if your gonna eat the human diet. I don't put stock in cholesterol tests (most people who have heart attacks and strokes have normal or low cholesterol).... and I'm not sure what a furred up carotid is??? Maybe you should consider getting a coronary calcium score instead and tracking inflammatory markers. Just a thought.

Basically eat like a predator not like prey (acknowledgements to J. Stanton GNOLLS.ORG - Home of J. Stanton and The Gnoll Credo)
    Thanks for reply, like the look of the site you linked, will take a look.

I have also read that those with heart attacks etc. generally have low choesterol, but I have also read the exact opposite, hence my confusion and frustration!

I had an ultrasound on my arteries going up either side of my neck, they showed the left one to be a fair bit thickened than normal, it was 1.4mm in places, and up to 2mm in a small section. Reading here:

Intima-media thickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It states 'However, an IMT greater than 0.9-1mm is almost certainly are indicative of atherosclerosis and increased risk of cardiovascular disease' Hence my concern, and searching for a way to reverse this.

I wouldn't really be worried about my cholesterol numbers either if I had clean arteries.

Beachgirl is offline Member
    Last edited by Beachgirl; 08-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I see why you are talking about now (re: furry carotids). I'm gonna take it your a non-smoker. Any signs of metabolic syndrome? Exercise?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    More information required.
    Where did you come from health wise?
    Is there any trend in your Insulin/Glucose levels & have you checked Leptin levels?
    Do you have any overt symptoms, how's your thyroid & metabolic rate?
    How is the rest of your life health wise, stress exercise, daily movement?
    Have you seen any improvements in the last three years?

Have you tried IF, this is another very valuable dietary tool, kind of like a halfway variation, where even though you may eat a good amount of carbs, your body still spends more time in the part-keto zone because of the fasting.

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyH View Post
    I read books, articles, all with conflicting info, how do you decide what's right?!
    That's the United States dilemma...

The corporations fund their own research which shows exactly what they want it to show, the government picks/funds certain research which shows exactly what they want it to show, they all claim it is "science", but everything contradicts everything else, leaving people confused. Meat is good, but meat also causes cancer? Fat is good but fat also causes heart attack? Salt is good or salt is bad? Doesn't make sense.

Since they are so confused they start saying "everything in moderation", which translated means "we don't have a clue".

otzi Guest
    Here are some books I would recommend you read before ever asking advice from Jack Kruse. He is a nutcase extraordinaire.

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
    Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet
    Live Young Forever by Jack Lalanne

All of these guys say basically the same thing, in different ways: No processed foods, especially sugar, flour, and veg oils; Carb/Fat/Protein all user-dependant; There is no one-size-fits-all approach; Exercise for fitness, not weightloss; Eat for health and fat loss

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and since you are mainly concerned about your arterial condition you may be interested in the "track your plaque" program with William Davis (cardiologist and author of Wheat Belly) here Track Your Plaque Heart Disease Prevention and Reversal Online

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Ah, I see why you are talking about now (re: furry carotids). I'm gonna take it your a non-smoker. Any signs of metabolic syndrome? Exercise?
    Hi, yeah never smoked, always exercised regularly, cycling mainly, bit of running, walking and weights once or twice a week. I’m slim, 5’9”, 137lbs.
    No sign of metabolic syndrome, CRP always below 1.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    More information required.
    Where did you come from health wise?
    Is there any trend in your Insulin/Glucose levels & have you checked Leptin levels?
    Do you have any overt symptoms, how's your thyroid & metabolic rate?
    How is the rest of your life health wise, stress exercise, daily movement?
    Have you seen any improvements in the last three years?

Have you tried IF, this is another very valuable dietary tool, kind of like a halfway variation, where even though you may eat a good amount of carbs, your body still spends more time in the part-keto zone because of the fasting.
    Hi, always been healthy, no major ops or illnesses, I’m 46 now.
    My insulin and glucose levels have always been good, never had my Leptin checked, didn’t know you could!
    My thyroid, apparently is ok, metabollic rate, not sure, I do suffer with the cold, but put that being down to being very lean.
    As I said before, I have always exercised regularly, cycling mainly, bit of running, walking and weights once or twice a week.
    In the last 3 years me health has slowly got worse if anything, I’ve had what seems like a constant sore throat, with bit of a chesty cough, like when your coming down with something, but it never progresses into anything. Had lots of checks with the docs, had chest x-ray, antibiotics etc. still there now.
    I have tried IF, going from dinner at 5pm, and not eating to 9 or 10am the following day. Did feel ok on that, may start to do more of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast