Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for those STRUGGLING to stay on track page 6

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    I figured out tat I'm craving nuts for the crunch factor. I was eating mini-bell peppers for my daily snack. I stopped for Whole30 because they are nightshades. I have to be better prepared!
    I don't recall where they said nightshades were unallowed. I eat nightshades all the time. Eating a tomato now. Guess I better go look at the sight again.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Yep nothing about nightshades. Eat those peppers! The Whole30 Program | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

calee is offline Senior Member
    I'm on day 6 slesca. The weekend was pretty easy. Today I felt very munchy being back in the office. I munched on carrots and an ounce of nuts. I want to get past that munchy feeling!

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPumpkin View Post
    :::I've always wondered why they don't "farm" Elk or Deer?:::

They do. There is a farm near us that raises not only a large herd of elk but also buffalo. I saw a small deer farm in PA last week when I was on vacation. I think there are probably a lot of permits you need to raise game animals.
    OH I haven't seen any over here on the west side - but, maybe I just don't know where to look! We buy 1/2 beef each fall - I'd love to find a 1/4 elk to put in the freezer - but we're not hunters....... sigh.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

Hey - I've been computer challenged the past couple days so haven't read or posted at all. My pc is old and slow but it works for now - the laptop is at the doctor.

I haven't been doing perfectly - but better than normal so I'm okay with it! Got through the weekend with only slight deviations - I had some cheese on a salad and I munched on a few corn chips last night. But I didn't have any alcohol this weekend so I count the whole thing a success anyway!

My whole30 is probably going to be more of a 100% primal rather than a straight paleo month. Hope that doesn't make me a cheat or a traitor, but dairy (except for milk) is a BIG staple in our diet - and I'm not sure how to work it out of my meals. We put cheese in and on things - and use sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt in place of mayo. So, if y'all don't mind I'm going to do a modified version. My ABSOLUTE no no's are going to be sugar (all forms, natural, processed or fake) and alcohol - as well as the normal don't eat stuff for primal.

I feel weird about admitting this since I started this thread -- but I figure better to be honest than deceiving. I tried the first few days with NO dairy - but it just doesn't work - before I realize I'm not supposed to have it - I've already eaten it.

Now the successes......... with this HEAT we've been having in Oregon - that ice cream in the freezer is screaming to me! But I've resisted the temptation! The only thing that is keeping me from having a bowl is this challenge and the fact that I am suspecting sugar is what has been giving me the intestinal troubles for all these years. So - I'm doing the elimation test to see if I'm on to something. If I don't have any tummy aches or diarrhea over the course of the month, then I'll know its the sugar.

So - I hope my "version" doesn't offend anyone - feel free to give me your opinion. Like I said, dairy, but not milk, isn't a problem for me - sugar and alcohol are my tough ones to kick - so those are what I'm giving up for this month.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

food today:

3 egg yolks
    3/4 cup home canned tuna mixed with sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt

4 oz beef patty
    roasted veggies

Lots of water! I don't think I'm losing any weight - and I still feel very bloated and uncomfortable through the middle. Might be the handful of corn chips I ate last night
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    Yep nothing about nightshades. Eat those peppers! The Whole30 Program | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
    Hi Jenn, you're right about nightshades. I'm not eating them because I have RA in remission. I've never given them up before but want to for the Whole30 to see what effect they have on me. I also stopped eating beef, eggs and oranges which I'm allergic to. I'll see how I feel at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    Hi Jenn, you're right about nightshades. I'm not eating them because I have RA in remission. I've never given them up before but want to for the Whole30 to see what effect they have on me. I also stopped eating beef, eggs and oranges which I'm allergic to. I'll see how I feel at the end.
    I understand now.

Tomi, we use a lot of cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, and cream in our foods too, but it's not that hard to go without it. We had burgers last night. Everyone else had cheese except me. Instead of making our standard meals, I have been making great use of the grill - it IS grilling season afterall. It's only 30 days. I don't think it is all that hard to change your cooking habits for so few days. Maybe this bloating you're complaining of is actually caused by dairy??

It is quite possible that the dairy you consume is causing your IBS symptoms as well. Remember, the Whole30 is designed to help you find these food intolerances and show you how to eliminate them from your diet. I never thought I had a problem with dairy products either until I made the conscious effort to give them up for 30 days way back when. Now I know they cause me to be phlegmy and cause acne breakouts. I choose to deal with those symptoms as they're not serious, but it would be beneficial to you to truly do the whole30 as closely as possible so you can learn what triggers your IBS. Sugar might be the culprit and dairy might be harmless for you, but without a true abstinent period, you can't know for sure.

Again, don't do this for weight loss... do this to learn self-control/discipline, and to find food allergies. That being said, I have found sour cream recipes made from coconut milk and cream cheese made from cashews online. I haven't tried them but people on a FB group I'm involved with who swear by both types of replacement products.

You're right - and after writing that last post yesterday, I started really giving this a lot of thought. I have reconsidered my choice - and I will take an about face and do the whole30 as its meant to be done. No dairy. I just need to change my thinking - change my meal strategies - and change my planning. Thanks for the encouragement and guidance. I am doing this for many reasons - weight loss is included. To gain control, to learn what my body can and can not handle, to accomplish the goal, and to aid my weight loss.

So - Its day 7 for me - and I've 3 days during those 7 where I ate dairy. From here forward - no dairy.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

If you need meal ideas, I can give a few.

Sunday:
    Iowa Pork Chops - grilled (they're a thick cut pork chop)
    Diced sweet potatoes sauteed in coconut oil and seasoned with "cajun" seasoning (google cajun sweet potatoes for the seasoning recipe)

Monday:
    Grilled burgers
    Green beans tossed with sauteed onions and bacon

Tuesday:
    Steak
    Baked sweet potato with Kerrygold ghee and cinnamon

Wednesday:
    Baked chicken thighs (or grilled since it's grilling season)
    roasted cauliflower and carrots

etc, etc, etc...

You can totally control what's put on your plate at home.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast