Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for those STRUGGLING to stay on track page 4

calee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is great. I need food ideas. Toni, does Whole9 say we can eat pork rinds? Do we have to get them fresh from the Mexican grocery? I never liked those so well. Where did you find pepperoni without additives? I love pepperoni!

Tomi, I've been weighing my protein for years. I think I could pick the right size for me with my eyes closed. I always use 4oz raw meat which gives me 3oz cooked. Fish I eat a little more because I get hungry sooner.

Day 2 has been perfect so far.
    1. Chicken thigh, romaine, 1 oz cashews
    2. 3 oz chicken breast, half avocado, 1 oz almonds, salad, balsamic dressing
    3. Will be 3oz lamb burger, sautéed cabbage and onion. 1/2 sweet potato if still hungry but I hope not. I have some swelling to get rid of.
    Walked this morning.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Pork rinds are just pig skin cooked in pig fat. I buy Baken-ets brand.

The pepperoni has some additives but I figure its minor so I'm not worrying about it. The main ingredients are Pork, Beef and Salt. Then 2% or less of other junk. Zero carbs, so not enough sugars to count. Its the ONLY meat in the house that isn't all natural, and I eat it very rarely. The package says 9 slices is a serving - and I might have 3 slices a couple times a week. So - this one I'm letting slide. I actually only buy it to make Meatza - and I made some last week so I have some leftover. I think the rest will go into the freezer for the next time I make Meatza - after whole30 - cuz you can't eat Meatza without CHEESE!

You're food for the day looks spot on!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Tomi, I think you're doing great. Thanks for those tips. I think for now I'm going to stick as close to 100% as I can. I really want to see how I feel if I keep it strict for now. Right now I want these five pounds off in the worst way. I'm hoping that a strict month will help me with that.

Day 3: insomnia last night. Slept 12-5:30. Woke up tired with a headache. Detox anyone? I'm glad it's Friday. But another hot day with no air con in my small office. Friday! Maybe a late walk in the woods to celebrate.

Now on Day 3 I'm getting used to black coffee. I feel like I need it this morning. During my Whole30 I'd like to let go of caffeine. I've gone years without it. Just piked up th habit of 1 cup early in the morning on long hike days, then it became everyday.

I noticed in Whole30 journals that people are eating pork rinds Tomi. . I also saw raw kelp noodles. I picked them up in the grocery Monday night, but then put them down. Maybe later if I get bored I will try them.

Good luck today everyone! I'll come back and report my Day 3 bites later.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Day 5 for me (I started on Monday). Doing great, but had a bit of an oops last night. I had gotten a bunch of cans of tomatoes (varying textures from crushed to diced) to make spaghetti sauce for dinner. I didn't realize until after I poured the diced tomatoes in that I had gotten "Chili ready" tomatoes. I checked the ingredients... sure enough, sugar. WHY?? Tomatoes don't NEED sugar! If you've ever done a 21 day sugar detox and then eaten a tomato afterwards, you'll know this to be true. Tomatoes are pretty sweet by themselves. Anyhow, I went to the little grocery store uptown and got another can of diced tomatoes, this time "Italian seasoned" to dilute the sugar in the "chili ready" and got home, dumped them in... why I don't look at labels at the store is beyond me... there was sugar in these too... ugh. whatever. At this point I ate it and chocked it up to "oops". Life goes on and 4 extra grams of sugar in a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (which actually makes two batches) isn't enough to get upset about, in my opinion.

So, see Tomi, even those of us on our FIFTH Whole30 can make mistakes.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

I guess we don't have to be 100% spot on to make it a successful whole30. I put ketchup in my meatloaf mixture - and it has added sugar - no HFCS - I get the stuff with real sugar cuz there's less of it than HFCS. Whatever......... Its close enough for me. Its almost impossible to go 100% no sugar or additives. Unless you can your own stuff or can afford the really good stuff. I'm just doing the best I can with what I have to work with.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    They recommend you either go condiment free or make your won, and it is possible to make sugar free ketchup, but easier to go without. That being said, I have used barbeque sauce on two occassions, but the tomatoes were an absolute mistake. I normally get regular diced tomatoes and they don't have sugar.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Well - I figure it this way - I put maybe 3 TBs of ketchup in my meatloaf mix - that has 6 servings. So I'm eating 1/2 TB of ketchup in my meatloaf. That's only 2 grams of sugars. I think I can live with that -- but eventually I hope to be making my own condiments. I just haven't tried yet.

I just watched Sugar: The Bitter Truth AGAIN! I've watched it 4 times now. Each time I get something new out of it. I have it saved in my favorites.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

cmjg7517 is offline Member
    Hi yall, mostly a lurker here.. but about the bacon?

Do yall have Gwaltney hardwood smoked bacon in your supermarket? No sugar added, and its Whole 30 approved (big discussion on it on their forums a few months back)..

Its my favorite bacon and its also the cheapest! I know my local Publix carries it as does the smaller non-chain grocery store near me, so keep an eye out.
    5'4/125

PrimalCon New York
    Haven't seen that brand on the west coast.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast