Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole30 for those STRUGGLING to stay on track page 3

calee is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have dozens of ducks swimming around in the lake in fron of my house. I should go egg hunting. I'm just afraid of what the park rangers are putting in the duck food. I will check the farmers market.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    To clarify kg, google how to make ghee. I heat it on low til the white solids float to the top. I scrape those off and discard it and reheat. More white will float up, which can be scraped off, but some will turn brown on the bottom of the pan. At thia point, I run it through cheese cloth twice to ensure there is no remaining whire material.

It tastes EXACTLY like kg. Its delicious.
    Oh yum! I will try this. I will also go on a bacon hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    So -- what are you goals for doing a Whole30 right now?

learning self-discipline? weight loss? straightening out a gut issue?
    I started eating Primal on January 1st so I'm new to this. The Whole30 has been calling to me. I want to do it to see how I feel without dairy and those problematic slips into popcorn etc. I hope that this will put me on better Primal footing. I guess I won't know what I want to get out of it until I'm further on the journey.

Also, I know this isn't supposed to be about weightloss....but, I was out of work last year and spent hours hiking daily. I took a desk job last fall and over the last seven months I'm up 5 pounds. I'd like them gone so my skinny jeans fit better!

I'm happy for the support here. Thanks!
    Last edited by calee; 05-01-2013 at 05:37 PM.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Hey - whatever your reasons are for doing a whole30 is all yours - nothing to excuse or apologize for. Its all good.

I just remembered butter is not allowed on whole30 - need to make the correction in my journal that I will be having ghee not butter on my mashed squash.

I also just realized yogurt, sour cream & cream cheese is DAIRY! ooops. that means I've had a little dairy both days. Will correct that and find a different snack. Oh buggers - should I start over since I messed up a little both days? Grand total of all offensive dairy couldn't be more than 1/4 cup. Technically I can't say I've done a whole30 if I had ANY dairy. I might have to say I've done a whole28

So food today: 3 oz pan fried ground pork, 1 cup tuna w/cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt. 4 oz ground beef on the Barbie, 1 cup mashed butternut squash with ghee.

CRAVINGS are hitting today. Thinking about chocolate. ugh!

Have you ever wondered if you go your entire life one a 100% whole30 diet? NO grains, NO sugar, NO dairy. What about potatoes? Are they taboo also - since they are taboo for paleo - I think so. But yams and sweet potatoes are good. I need to go to the whole9 website and have a refresher course on do's and don'ts.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Have you ever wondered if you go your entire life one a 100% whole30 diet? NO grains, NO sugar, NO dairy. What about potatoes? Are they taboo also - since they are taboo for paleo - I think so. But yams and sweet potatoes are good. I need to go to the whole9 website and have a refresher course on do's and don'ts.
    Okay - brushed up on my whole30 rules and regs. Yup --- any kind of potato save for sweet or yam is out for whole 30. And I've decided I AM starting over. Tomorrow will be day 1 since I had dairy. NO MORE FUDGING! I'm going to do this right!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Lol, I wonder when you'll be in front of me again. Day 1 is ending. It was a success. Onward to day 2.

Good you realized about the dairy, Tomi.

Day 2:

Starting with one cup of black coffee then will switch to herbal tea. Coffee is definitely lacking without cream.

One of my goals these 30 days is to eat simply. Not try to replicate things (Paleotize) that I might miss. If I get those strong dark chocolate urges I may eat a date but I want to see my mind chatter change.

I'll have to work on breaking my scale addiction. Part of Whole30 is not weighing food or myself. Not tracking on MFP, which I've done for years. I don't have much faith in my not overeating yet. So I guess in effect, what I want to achieve is a sense of balance.

Calee - Portion size is part of my struggle as well. Especially with meat. I always take a large portion or make a huge burger patty - and that is one of the things I'm working on as well. My focus is on keeping my meat portions the size of the palm of my hand. That would be about a 4 oz burger patty. 3-4 oz of protein per meal is perfect for most women. My habit has always been to take more like 6-8 oz. So, I'm trying to be VERY aware of how much I'm putting on my plate. The other is starchy vegetables. Last night I made mashed yams with ghee. I was careful not to take too much. I would say I had a cup of mashed yams, and they were fluffy from being mixed with my KitchenAide mixer.

I have never got into the paleotizing food. I do make "Meatza" that is really really good - but CALORIE dense will cheese and fatty meats! I make it very rarely.

Day 1 (again) here I go!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Tomi, I don't think you need to start at day 1. I think you can continue on as you were, just remove those items you discovered to contain dairy and chock it up to misunderstanding. It's not about being perfect or having 30 perfect days. It's about learning how things affect our bodies and 'cleaning the slate' so to speak so we can start fresh with our journey to good health.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

thanks for the reprieve! I'm sure you've figured out by now I'm an all or nothing kinda gal. If I don't do it exactly as I think it should be done I feel like I've failed and have to start all over again. If I could adopt the whole 80/20 mentality I would be much better off. I get mad at myself if I stray even the slightest and feel like I'm completely messing up! I want to say I did a whole30 perfectly. I guess that really is impossible.

How 'bout I split the difference and just back up one day - that will put me on day 1 on May 1. That works good.

So, I'm on day 2. And its been perfect ........... so far. still have dinner and evening to get through.

Breakfast: 1 slice of bacon and a patty of ground pork. Lunch: 3 egg yolks and 2.5 slices of pepperoni. Snack: pork rinds. Dinner: meatloaf and baked butternut squash.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast