Thread: Hunting/Gathering through another perspective page

andi is offline Member

Hunting/Gathering through another perspective

Primal Fuel
    When I first started reading the Primal nutrition guide, it made me think of a subject we studied in one of my anthropology courses. The ethnography was conducted by Richard Lee over the course of a few years and addressed a foraging tribe in the Dobe area of South Africa.

The subsistence chapter may be found here: http://www.faculty.fairfield.edu/dcr...lee_chap_4.pdf

If you are interested in further readings, there are summaries here (as well as some of the impact on their lifestyles with the introduction of farming and herding): The Dobe Ju/'hoansi (Lee, 2003) - Anthropology & the Human Condition

I am sure the full chapter pdf files may be found online as well. Take from this what you will.

Lee, Richard. (2003). The Dobe Ju/'hoansi (3rd ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Thomson Learning.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'm gonna comment cause I did read this. Found it quite interesting and think its relevant to "nut phobia"!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Very interesting link, thanks for posting it.

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm gonna comment cause I did read this. Found it quite interesting and think its relevant to "nut phobia"!
    What are mongongo nuts like though?

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Mongongo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Per 100 grams shelled nuts:
    57 g fat: 44% polyunsaturated
    17% saturated
    18% monounsaturated

24 g protein
    193 mg calcium
    527 mg magnesium
    4 mg zinc
    2.8 mg copper
    565 mg vitamin E (and tocopherol)

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    During the 28 days of the study the hunters brought in 18 animals yielding 454
    pou nds of meat, and gifts of meat from outside made up another 36 pounds of meat,
    for a total of 490 pounds. This works out to a daily consumption of 9.1 ounces of meat
    for every man, woman, and child.

Meat and mongongo nuts comprised the major part of the diet, contributing 31
    and 28 percent of the weight respectively. About 20 species of roots, melons, gums
    bulbs, and dried fruits, including some mongongo fruit, made up the remaining 41
    percent of the diet. In all, the work of the JuI'hoansi made available a daily ration of
    2355 calories of food energy and 96.3 grams of protein to each person. The diet was
    well-balanced in terms of vitamins and minerals, and if it was lacking anything it was
    an abundance of refined carbohydrates: there was no eqnivalent in the JuI'hoan diet
    to the white bread, rice, pasta, and sugar-rich food that form so large a portion of our
    Western diet (and which may be responsible for our rapid growth rates). The caloric
    levels were more than adequate to support the Dobe population and to allow the peo-
    ple to live vigorous, active lives without losing weight.
    The message I entered is too short...
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2