Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Caveman didn't "stretch" (did they?)...if not, why do we? page 2

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    yeah, i work a desk job (like most of us?), and then go to the gym after work a few times a week. if tried to squat serious weight without doing some hip openers first, that would be bad news.

the other thing is that lots of the movements i do - take overhead squats as an example - require a type of mobility that you need to train. i'm not sure cavemen did overhead squats, and i don't really care, as i like 'em.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    I imagine that wrestling reindeer features every single conceivable type of exercise and weight-lifting form at some point in the scrap.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

HopelessDreamer is offline Senior Member
    google "grok hangs" and see a post that Mark did about stretching.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Don't you ever just stretch because it feels good?? I mean... when I wake in the morning I stretch. If I feel a bit stiff I stretch. This isn't a "routine" it's just something one does because it feels good!

Cats and dogs certainly stretch... rodents stretch...I guess other animals stretch too (these are just ones I see stretch regularly!!).

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Egerland View Post
    Being human, I imagine that Grok and his buds argued about stretching also. For myself, I've observed "serious" athletes doing elaborate stretch routines and just laugh. I do some pretty intense bike rides for my age, and rarely stretch. Sometimes I need to during a ride to loosen up a tense spot, but that's it. Extreme exertion is another matter - I try to stretch afterwards so I won't have to hobble around for a couple of days after.
    However, as a biker, your range of motion is limited by your bike- you will never stretch your muscles beyond what the mechanics of the bike allows. Running and a lot of other activities don't have that restriction built in.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Sitting in a yoga squat (Grok Squat) either to poop or as a comfortable resting positioned certainly opened up their hips. They propably stretched, as I we all do from time to time, just because it feels good. Most importantly they constantly moved in a functional way through full ranges of motion, lifting, sprinting, bending to gather, swimming and playing which probably maintained an adequate level of flexibility.

Dynamo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    HopelessDreamer (may I rename you: HopeFULdreamer? ), thank you for the tip - I will do a search on that! And...thanks to everyone for the input! Again, all good points and I appreciate the variety of vantage points .

Happy Groking!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12