Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: high fat + high carb ? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Way to troll for another epic CICO thread.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is why bodybuilders overeat carbohydrate+protein in unison to put on lots of lean mass without lots of fat gain - when you remove dietary fat from the equation and overeat, you're the least likely to get chubby and most likely to put on lean mass since there is no fat to directly store.

Of course, if you're not overeating, none of this matters!!!
    Bodybuilding is not really relevant to health as their primary driver is percieved aesthetics, so loading up on carbs is primarily to bulk up glycogen stores and give the appearance of more muscle mass, as for the excess protein, we all remember Mr "Hey Dude I Stink" eating 3 chickens per day.

In a nutshell.
    Carbs and Fat are fuel and protein is building blocks.
    Excess protein simply has to be disposed of, more work for the body and higher insulin levels.
    Excess carbs will be stored, once glycogen is full it has to be converted to fat - more work for the body again and higher insulin levels.
    Excess fat will also be stored, but requires minimal processing and can be readily stored by the body and does not spike insulin.

So as far as what balance to choose, up to you, pro's and cons in all directions, you have mentioned IF in the past, if you are only eating one meal a day and choose to go high carb, there is no option but to store the excess carbs as fat.
    The only way to avoid that is to split your excess carb consumption into 2-4 hourly doses that are matched to your energy requirements.

The other consideration is to split your fat & protein intake away from carbohydrate intake, there is different digestive conditions that are ideal.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    can someone explain to me why eating high fat + high carb is the worst option and would make you gain weight...
    One explanation is that it is unnatural. Dr. Cordain mentions this in some of his lectures. The way he puts it -- high fat / high carb foods do not exist in nature. It's either a sweet potato (carb), or it's a hunk of meat (fat). Only man-made compound foods like pizza are both high fat and carb.

So if foods in nature are either carb or fat, the next question you could ask is -- how often did we combine those foods at a meal? For most of our 2.5 million years I'd suggest we didn't. We ate what was available that season, that meal. If we killed an animal we ate meat (preferred), if we didn't we ate carb, if it was winter we ate meat, if we killed all the animals in a region we ate carb until we moved to a new region, etc.

Also the body has to prioritize when it receives both, it goes to work on the carbs first, then the fat, does this mean it is not adapted to such meals? If it were truly adapted wouldn't it be capable of working on both simultaneously?

Plenty of smart people over the last 100 years have mentioned "food combining" isn't a good idea, and there are cultures that stay clear of it (here in Korea for example where everyone is thin), so could be something to it.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    This is why bodybuilders overeat carbohydrate+protein in unison to put on lots of lean mass without lots of fat gain...
    Except for all those fat ass bodybuilders on Youtube talking about their "carbo-loading" and how awesome it works...

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    If we eat high carb and fat, our bodies will burn the carbs first, and the fat will go directly to storage.
    Carbs are always used first.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    If we eat high carb and fat, our bodies will burn the carbs first, and the fat will go directly to storage.
    Carbs are always used first.
    Absolutely true,
    This is because fat is much easier to transport around the body and store with minimal processing, while on the other hand glucose is harder to store and elevated levels present a significant risk to the entire body so it must be dealt with as a priority.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by egyption grok View Post
    can someone explain to me why eating high fat + high carb is the worst option and would make you gain weight "i read this in on of the posts just cant remember which one "
    Actually, the worst option is no-fat no-carb. Because then you encounter 'rabbit starvation'

But yeah, one reason why high fat high carb is the worst option bad for weight gain is because people need protein, so tend to overeat when not getting enough of it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12