Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foods that aren't Food. page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Foods that aren't Food.

Primal Fuel
    So, what "foods" have stopped looking like Food to you?
    This isn't necessarily a signal of anything but habit (to someone with pica, paper is food, to a long-term raw-vegan, meat is not), but it's still interesting to look at.

List "food" that no longer captures your attention/interests you/produces cravings, "food" that still does and Food that you're yet to come to terms with. Maybe along with Primal versions of "food" that provides the fix?

Mine.
    "Food" that isn't Food:
    -bread
    -pasta
    -fizzy drinks
    -juice (I don't MIND it, it just doesn't bother me either way)
    -junk
    -pastry
    -normal chocolate

"Food" that's still desired and replacements:
    -chips (I have them sometimes, but will usually tallow-roast potatoes instead)
    -pizza (it seems to just be a cheese craving)
    -carrot cake (I just have spelt-flour carrot-cake sometimes)

There isn't any Primal food that I am yet to come to terms with, but cutting back dairy is kinda hard. I really miss it, even if there are no cravings. On the other hand, I feel quite a bit better on reduced lactose. Hey ho.

Your turn!
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    - breakfast cereals
    - French croissants (never saw them as real food as in "feeding my body needs" but wow! I was crazy about them, so much that I even bothered baking them at home, and believe me, it is not an easy task ...)
    - bread (rye / spelt / etc): these items became sort of "invisible" even when they are lying on my in-laws' breakfast table
    - sugar / processed cookies / candies / cakes / etc
    - fruit juice
    - soy based foods
    - grains in general
    - commercial processed stuff like sandwich spreads full of dubious ingredients - could buy them blindly in the past but didn't give those as much of a single glance since primal
    - ... many other small things that I can't bother to list here (like alcoholic stuff)

I never was into snacking myself (chips, roasted peanuts, these sort of junky things) so that kind of stuff never deserved the word "food" in my mind.

To summarize, I would say (in my case) that all the former pseudo-foods that I don't even bother to look at anymore when shopping could be put in the "dope" department, I used to be hooked and simply weaned from them ...

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    -normal chocolate
    If by this you mean "milk" chocolate or that hateful abomination "white chocolate" then, yes.

Absolutely freaking yes.

Also, bacon. Bacon is not a real food. Bacon is a condiment.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    If by this you mean "milk" chocolate or that hateful abomination "white chocolate" then, yes.

Absolutely freaking yes.

Also, bacon. Bacon is not a real food. Bacon is a condiment.
    Most dark chocolates, too. A LOT of dark chocolate has just as little cacao-solids as milk-chocolate, just as much refined sugar and crap and, on top, additives to make it taste bitter. All because soy-oil is cheaper than cocoa-butter. I read labels carefully after a nasty accident where I ate "dark" chocolate that was only 45% cocoa. It tasted VILE.

As for bacon, I treat it more like a cured ham: to be eaten raw with veg, not to be fried up. Fried it tastes too salty and seems to give me less energy. Raw, it revitalizes me and doesn't make me as thirsty.
    I wonder whether that's because curing technically "cooks" meat, so cooking it on top of that is just overkill...
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Most dark chocolates, too. A LOT of dark chocolate has just as little cacao-solids as milk-chocolate, just as much refined sugar and crap and, on top, additives to make it taste bitter. All because soy-oil is cheaper than cocoa-butter. I read labels carefully after a nasty accident where I ate "dark" chocolate that was only 45% cocoa. It tasted VILE.
    I get that. Though, in some case, I don't mind - Lindt bars are my special exception. Their dark content can range, buuut... I just love them too much.
    Don't get me wrong, though. 70%+ - especially Green&Blacks 85% (<3) - are the way to go.

As for bacon, I treat it more like a cured ham: to be eaten raw with veg, not to be fried up. Fried it tastes too salty and seems to give me less energy. Raw, it revitalizes me and doesn't make me as thirsty.
    I wonder whether that's because curing technically "cooks" meat, so cooking it on top of that is just overkill...
    Hmm, never tried raw bacon. As I said - only ever really as a condiment, to add flavour and cals, ie, with my eggs, too cook some chilli, to fry burgers or wrap chicken in, etc. Maybe to throw over a salad, if I ever ate salad.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Most of those are still food, just shells of their former form.

My list of food that is poison to me:

Bacon and all its forms including the fat(no food besides nuts makes me feel worse, probably the only food that has made my skin oily and almost give me acne, real bad inflammation)
    Nuts(exception being peanuts, but they're legumes and nutella)
    Seed oils
    Soy
    Poultry
    Cruciferous vegetables(fucking nasty)
    Artificial sweeteners
    Fatty fish
    Yogurt(gives me a stomach ache now)
    Seaweed(wtf man)
    Berries(so bitter, but low sugar and carb must be good for you!!!)
    Avocados(stomach ache)
    Potato chips and popcorn(junk)
    jerky(junk)
    Alternative milk(good for a quick pump though, since you have to violently shake it after putting it in the fridge)
    Margarine(not even ants eat this)
    Whey protein shakes(not even once)
    Any spices besides salt

and lastly

Hereshys chocolate, all of it, this is the shittiest chocolate ever. I love milk chocolate despite what most sugar fearing people feel, but this is absolute garbage tier trash not fit for consumption.
    nihil

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I happen to love that abomination known as white chocolate.

I don't consider food:

Soy "meat" products
    Flavored yogurts
    Frozen dinners
    Low-fat diet foods
    Packaged snacks and cookies
    100-calorie packs
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Pasteurized milk
    Billie trips balls

Quote Originally Posted by AngryKiwi47 View Post
    I get that. Though, in some case, I don't mind - Lindt bars are my special exception. Their dark content can range, buuut... I just love them too much.
    Don't get me wrong, though. 70%+ - especially Green&Blacks 85% (<3) - are the way to go.
    I can just taste the vegetable oil in them. Most things under 70% are either too sweet for me or taste of veg oil now. Even stuff that used to be delicious, like dark-chocolate-coated brazils/walnuts/almonds.

Hmm, never tried raw bacon. As I said - only ever really as a condiment, to add flavour and cals, ie, with my eggs, too cook some chilli, to fry burgers or wrap chicken in, etc. Maybe to throw over a salad, if I ever ate salad.
    I just view it as a sort of ham, rather than bacon. I love eating it with cheese and hard-boiled eggs. Now I'm not having cheese I'll have to have it with butter or clotted cream.
    Try it. Get thinly sliced back-bacon (or streaky bacon with a 50-50 ratio of fat to meat) and eat it with veg sticks, fruit or hard-boiled eggs. It's the brave man's parma ham.
    --

--
    I'd apologize, but...

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "food" that just doesn't register as edible Food:
    -canola oil
    - bread
    -pasta
    -pretzels
    -oatmeal/five grain cereal
    - cold cereals and granola
    -fast food burgers/fries/chicken
    -pastry - donuts, muffins, most desserts

"Food" that's still desired and replacements:
    -dark chocolate cake (so far chocolate avocado mousse)
    -pizza (meatza was ok but I'll try out some other crusts)
    -ice cream (when I'm ready I'll make some homemade)

Primal food I haven't given up on yet: dairy - later this month I plan to try to reintroduce full fat greek yogurt.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast