Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Foods that aren't Food. page 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh, I forgot one of my old worst offenders: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I try not to think of how many vegetables I ruined with that stuff.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh, I forgot one of my old worst offenders: I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. I try not to think of how many vegetables I ruined with that stuff.
    I can honestly say that as soon as I left the house, even before Primal, I dropped margarine and shortening like a hot brick. Something was always wrong about a fat that spread so easily from the fridge but didn't melt at room temperature.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    uh???!! what ??? berries bitter and unsweet ? I'd be damned!
    I live near a rather large forest north of Copenhagen where there are a few clearer areas with berry bushes, in particular raspberries. My wife, mother-in-law and myself must be the only people collecting them when they are ripe, and I tell you, there is NO NEED to sweeten them! Eat them on the spot and you feel you are just at the right place at the right time
    The park where I run/walk has wild blackberries and a very few wild black raspberries (if you know where to look) and last year I found a blueberry bush. I happily munch along when I go there during their season. Depending on where the blackberries grow, they can be sweet or tart. Seems like the ones that get more sun are sweeter. Unfortunately some grow along the power company right-of-way and the really good juicy, sweet ones were mowed down by the power company the past 2 years.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    Seems like the ones that get more sun are sweeter.
    Yes, sunlight is important for sweetness and they must be picked at the right time. We don't have them right every summer because where I live, the chance is less than ... mmm, 25-30% probability that the weather will be optimal. But we do have very good years. Tough luck about the mowing down of the best bushes ...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Can't you taste the vegetable oils and soy in normal milk chocolates?
    When I try and have something under 70% cocoa, it is usually either ridiculously sweet (like eating 5 sucrose sweeteners at once) or has a weird, distinctly veg-oily/soy-oily aftertaste.
    If the cocoa content is under 50%, I will CERTAINLY taste any weird oils in it. It genuinely puts me off chocolate-coated almonds, which I used to adore. I don't even consider them a treat any more.
    I've always thought milk chocolate was adulterated. Recently I had a dessert that was served in a "shell" that was made from melted dark chocolate. It was so sweet, yecch.

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    uh???!! what ??? berries bitter and unsweet ? I'd be damned!
    I live near a rather large forest north of Copenhagen where there are a few clearer areas with berry bushes, in particular raspberries. My wife, mother-in-law and myself must be the only people collecting them when they are ripe, and I tell you, there is NO NEED to sweeten them! Eat them on the spot and you feel you are just at the right place at the right time
    When I was a kid my mother used to buy wild blackberries that an old lady picked behind her house. They were so bitter. I loved that. Commercial blackberries are so bland in comparison.

I can't see any reason to repeat what people said. I just see carts piled high with boxes of frozen "food". No. That's not food.

KT79 is offline Member
    M&Ms. My husband bought some peanut ones a few months ago. Tried a few, and the coating on them just tasted like chemicals. Gross. Much rather have a piece of fruit or some good dark chocolate.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Hot Pockets and Lean Pockets. Roomates and their bros always have these around. My eyes just glaze over them.

Sunny D and Hawaiian Punch as well. Great whopping jugs of it.

M.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Things that are no longer food substances for me:

Halloween and Easter candy (very nasty tasting, all of it!)
    canned drinks (teas, soda, lemonades...)
    Nestle Chocolate Chips (nasty sweet!)
    Store bought bread stuffs and chips
    Most recipes for wheat-free or paleo bread replacements. They don't taste like my homemade bread did, and mostly are just kind of nasty, no matter how good the photo looks

Still have some cravings for and am searching or have found replacements or are part of my regular diet:

Chocolate (Lindt, 85% or more)
    Pizza from time to time (but did find a good crust in the Wheat Belly Cookbook)
    Chocolate truffles...the mouthfeel is so good with the dark chocolate
    Tortillas - actual functional ones - still need a primal recipe!
    Naan - from the Indian restaurant - not store bought.
    Pancakes - primal style. I modified the tortilla recipe on MDA (added butter) and it makes a pancake that my non-primal husband thought was flour. (I did use lots of different types of flour in the past, to his credit.)
    Maple Syrup - the real stuff, I still eat that. No more than once a week on above pancakes.

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    As for bacon, I treat it more like a cured ham
    I just view it as a sort of ham, rather than bacon
    Isn't it one and the same? Pork with some lean and fat stripes?

Agree totally about white chocolate, never could make myself believe that was edible, even before primal. Do they make it from margarine and sugar? And other "never ever" thing is soy meat. Or soy chocolate, yeee... Although I did use some soy yoghurt now and then.
    After PB I stopped viewing bread as food. Basically its the very first processed food in history. I liked black rye bread, but after I moved from my country, I could not get it and gradually weaned off. The wheat bread wasn't too tasty anyway, was easy to stop eating. For a while I continued eating and liked oat poridge for breakfast but soon discovered that it tastes bad.
    And soda drinks - well, now I can't understand how did I drink bathroom cleaning chemicals (thats what colas are good for).
    Last edited by SeaHorse; 04-30-2013 at 08:53 AM.

andi is offline Member
    Corn products such as cereals, oy, and prepackaged deli meats.

I have the worst chocolate cravings, to the point where I can actually down some 100% cocoa unsweetened chocolate. Surprisingly after not eating sugar for a few months, it tastes fabulous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast