Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eggs and Food Poisoning? page

kathleen is offline Senior Member

Eggs and Food Poisoning?

Primal Fuel
    Short Version: Eggs cooked 'sunny side up' gave my food poisoning. I guess they were undercooked somewhere on the sunny side?

Long Version: After hours of throwing up, I finally stopped after the eggs I ate for LUNCH yesterday. I can deduce that they were indeed the cause of the problem.

Anyone know what I did wrong? I cooked 'em on a pan, over medium heat, until the top side turned solid (rather than clear). Egg whites were solid. Yolks were half liquid, half solid (I suck at cooking). Sunny side up attempt left me not on the sunny side.

Should I maybe wash them off first? Is it possible that there was something yuck-to-eat on the shell?

Scrambled eggs from now on; I'll miss dipping my bacon in the yolk. But this was too many hours of hell to want to risk it again.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i've never ever gotten food poisoning from undercooked eggs and i almost always have runny yolks and jiggly whites

were they old?

eta old eggs or unwashed shells are all i can think of
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Well I got them a week ago. I don't think they are old, but I will for sure wash the shells now.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

F/23/5'9"

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Never had this problem and I'm sloppy with the shells and such. Maybe you just got a bad batch...

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleen View Post
    Well I got them a week ago. I don't think they are old, but I will for sure wash the shells now.
    brave

the last time i puked after eating it was quiche, and that was when i was 15

i haven't eaten quiche since
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Gotta jump right back on the chicken! Good for you, wash and carry on. Sorry you got sick. It's said that a few eggs here and there are bound to carry something or another, but the occasional sick day is far outweighed by the benefits - and a healthy, egg-fed person is easily equipped to cope with a little salmonella here and there! I cook my eggs on low heat, too - whites firm and yolks like the sunrise, clear on top and yellow on the bottom. Have only felt queasy once, and it passed. I ate a crap-ton of berries and felt great again within 12 hours.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Chun is offline Junior Member
    Putting the lid on top will probably fix your problem as well, Its likely to have been just that batch of eggs. Wouldn't worry too much!

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I doubt it's the eggs themselves, unless they've gone bad. It's more likely what was on the outside contaminated the whites and yolks and made you ill. Just wash them before cracking next time.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I doubt it's the eggs themselves, unless they've gone bad. It's more likely what was on the outside contaminated the whites and yolks and made you ill. Just wash them before cracking next time.
    I went for the eggs this morning...

Of course, examining before cracking, I found POOP on the outside of one of them! Caked on, had to scrub with a sponge. Eww. The eggs are now hard boiling, after all being rinsed in hot water. Hard boiling the eggs should do the trick, I'd think.

F/23/5'9"

AylaFecero is offline Junior Member
    food poisoning just happens some times. poop and eggs come out of the same chicken hole. The good news is your body will likely be prepared in the event you come into contact with the same bacteria again. I really wouldn't worry too much. Scrubbing your eggs seems like overkill, imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast