Thread: Under my calorie limits page

CrazyCatLady is offline Member

Under my calorie limits

I am doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox. Which basically means I am in ketosis and following Mark's advice of keeping under on the carbs. I have been logging my meals to help keep track on My Fittness Pal. The thing is, I am coming in under my 1200 calories by a 50 to 200 calories a day. Do I really need to worry that my body will go into starvation mode? I feel full, I am not exercising much, but am losing weight. I feel good. Should I eat some butter or olive oil to get up to the recommended calories? (I can't do coconut oil - it gives me the massive runs.)

Thanks in advance!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to worry about your body going into "starvation mode" in this brief period of time. But there is no reason not to eat more calories to bring yourself up to that level. Given a choice between butter and olive oil, I'd find a way to eat more butter.

The main thing is, I am just not hungry. One of my pre-primal bad habits was wolfing down lots of food - I am trying to listen to my body. But, a couple slabs of cold butter, mmm. I do honestly feel like I could skip dinner almost every day, but feel bound to eat with my family.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I have been eating way less calories since being in ketosis as well. I have already had dinner tonight and I still have something like 230 calories uneaten. Probably won't even use them. I'm just not hungry like I used to be.

The Rebooted Body is offline Senior Member
    Hunger is the best method of counting calories. If you want to make this a lifestyle, ditch the calculator.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You won't go into starvation mode unless you're eating under 700 or so calories a day for weeks on end.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    I am doing a 21 Day Sugar Detox. Which basically means I am in ketosis and following Mark's advice of keeping under on the carbs. I have been logging my meals to help keep track on My Fittness Pal. The thing is, I am coming in under my 1200 calories by a 50 to 200 calories a day. Do I really need to worry that my body will go into starvation mode? I feel full, I am not exercising much, but am losing weight. I feel good. Should I eat some butter or olive oil to get up to the recommended calories? (I can't do coconut oil - it gives me the massive runs.)

Thanks in advance!
    If I were you, yes.

At 1200kcal, you will still lose weight. Most people would. Even if you went a bit over. IMO, go for it.

eastok is offline Junior Member
    i think so,Hunger is the best method of counting calories. If you want to make this a lifestyle, ditch the calculator.

Okay, thanks folks! I am going to ignore that message that I am not eating enough. I do want to keep the food tracking because it really helps me stay on track. I just won't worry about not eating exactly enough.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm doing food tracking right now just to get the hang of eating this way and to make sure I don't go over in my carbs or eat too much protein. But I'm sure after a few weeks I will be able to relax on the tracking.