Thread: GORUCK Challenge Nutrition page

GORUCK Challenge Nutrition

Shop Now
    So I have been doing quasi-paleo/primal for maybe a month, over the last weekend I got pretty serious about it though. Now I have a GORUCK Challenge on May 11th and June 8th and want to make sure that I have the energy and what not to make it through these events. Any advice? Requirements of the food:
    Easily carried, preferably in a cargo pocket, but at least in a ruck
    Waterproofable
    Tough (we will be rolling around on the ground, jumping, bumping into each other, carrying each other, etc...)

Heth is offline Member
    I would take a can of coconut cream, the type with no added water, and also wrap up tightly in foil about 8 Tbsp of protein powder and stick it inside a couple of ziploc bags one inside the other for extra protection, with all air squeezed out. That should be tumble/water proof. When it's time to eat just open the can of coconut cream and stir the protein powder in. That'd be about 1000 calories based on the coconut cream I buy (Ayam). You'd probably need more meals but at least there's an idea, although it depends what your macro requirements are - if you're on the higher carb end of the spectrum that might not fit your goals.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Pemmican.

So pemmican would be good for cargo pockets. Coconut cream and protein in the ruck for longer breaks. Great ideas. Keep them coming I really appreciate it.

Sent from my IS06 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    If you are making your own pemmican, I recommend using cocoa butter as the fat to moisten the ingredients and set it up solid. Coconut oil will be liquid at room temperature in the summer.

Thanks. Glad you said something, I was looking up coconut oil pemmican recipes. Not sure if I can find cocoa butter here in Okinawa. May have to order from amazon asap!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    If you are making your own pemmican, I recommend using cocoa butter as the fat to moisten the ingredients and set it up solid. Coconut oil will be liquid at room temperature in the summer.
    I just bought some for making chocolate but this is a great idea too. I got mine on Amazon.

This stuff, Free The Animal Fat Bread:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread63644.html
    is also incredibly *dense* nutrition and delicious. Would recommend making it as muffins which could be baggied for your purposes.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-29-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Heth is offline Member
    Speaking of chocolate I just made an amazing thing that would be good to take along in a plastic container. Just mix cream, gelatin powder, cocoa powder and a pinch of vanilla powder (optional) and it turns into an amazing dense mousse instantly. Sorry no measurements but if you had to play around with it to be satisfied that wouldn't at all be a bad thing (nom nom)!

I just saw cocoa butter at the "health food" store today (most stuff in there is crap). Looks amazing... *saves pennies*
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.

Sounds good. I am currently in Okinawa, Japan. We have little in the way of health food stores here. Thus Amazon it is.