Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Diary of a CheeseFiend page 5

CheeseFiend is offline Member
    YAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN.

Tired.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for this paleo / fasting / fatburning business, above and beyond the raptures I've already been in. I think if I were still on the old bread'n'pasta wheel I would not have managed so well this week.

[ short break for illustrative story! A lady at work fainted last week - one moment walking, the next, 'squeak' and full length on the floor. She's absolute fine now, BUT, but the interesting thing was how everyone reacted, after the initial flurry of first aid positioning was over - everyone asked her what she had last eaten since breakfast/had she had enough to eat/what had she eaten that morning/had she eaten something recently etc etc. It was only about 11.30. It made me realise just how used to the idea we've all become - that food is something that must be shoveled down every two to three hours or you'll feel faint, your blood pressure will drop, your blood sugar will drop, you'll get dizzy, you'll be ill, got to eat, eat, eat! /end story ]

I haven't had a hot meal since last Friday. I haven't had a 'meal' since last Friday. But I have scarfed down kilos of cold roast meat, gooey cheese and tomatoes whenever there's been time. And I AM tired, can't deny it. But I've also been up at 4.30, going to bed at midnight. On Saturday I speed-lifted 75% of my entirely worldly belongings and furniture in under 20 minutes. And I've spent the rest of the week carrying it in and out of the house for drying / hosing / throwing in the skip. I've also done my 40 hours in the office this week. Gutted the kitchen. Cleaned the barn. Sorted out the soggy paperwork from the last 20 years. So 'tired' is normal. What I'm NOT, is running on adrenaline, believe it or not. I'm sleeping peacefully, I'm fairly laidback, I'm not twitchy during the day. I'm not exhausted, I'm not stressed. I am, finally, that magical sounding word - resilient. Because my body is coping. Because I've been paleo for a few months now, it's used to making the most of what it gets and not struggling with what it doesn't want - I've just been able to keep going in a steady slog. Not wearing myself out, just plodding on.

Admittedly, that is probably not the most dazzling encomium that Mark has ever received, but it's been a bloody life-saver this week and I have been amazed at just how well this diet (in the sense of 'things you eat', rather than 'shedding weight') boosts your body, which boosts your mind.

Thank you. Honestly.

Bah. I don't understand why, but I can't get to the second page of my thread. Here's hoping this will post anyway.

I think my paleo food needs some updating. It appears my diet, when under stress, defaults to meat or cheese. Meat AND cheese. Which while delicious for me, is probably causing me to slowly wither away due to a lack of something.

[ not a lack of wine however. I've had no less than 7 bottles of commiseration wine delivered by nearby-neighbours in the last 4 days. I am not lacking all the nutrients and trace minerals to be found in wine. ]

So, plan B. Log back on to whatsit, the paleo tracker site, and stick a virtual 'ideal' week's worth of food into the daily tracker. If the relative percentages turn out alright, then buy that food and nothing else. If I wish, I can comfort eat meat and cheese all I like, but by the end of the week I will have had to eat all the veg left in the fridge to bring my weekly average percentages back into shape. As long as the fridge is empty at the end of the week, I'll be getting what I need.

Sigh. Who'd have thought food could be so important when you can't just stick your head in the sand.

Right, off to investigate the nice looking Syrah that came round this afternoon...

Skipixie is offline Junior Member
    Hey Cheese, sorry to hear about your flood. Hope that Syrah helped to warm you up and dry you out x

Aha! Reordered my chronology, and now I start at the top.

Thanks, Skip. It sent me to sleep, so pros and cons, etc... Sandstone cottage so not drying particularly quickly. Will be some weeks yet before the floors dry out completely. Just me in solitary splendour on a beanbag on a damp dirt floor surrounded by nothing but four damp walls. Hoorah. Just like bothying, only with added beanbag. How did the retreat go? Where did you get to? Was it edible?

Gorged like a pig on dates today - never realised before that they're exactly what toffee should taste like, if toffee were really, really, really good. Unlooked for side-effect of drastic change in lifestyle - waist down to 22 inches (found a drowned tape measure washed under the step whilst tidying). Arse down to 33. Only a inch difference from before, but hey, it's the squidgy inch and that's what counts.

Want a day off. Have worked 17 days in a row now. Tired. On plus side, have been reading all about complexity science and the adjacent possible - will apply to conscious self and choose not to replace old furniture in old arrangement, thus opening up new phase space possibilities for use of sitting room. Will end up in quantum state of content, smeared out over numerous temporal trajectories [frivolous emoticon].

Excuse incoherence - early bed tonight I think. Trying to digest dinner. Disaster with cat food bag (flood, what else) means cats and I all had large quantities of unexpected raw beef for dinner. All nodding off now. Need to fossick about under car bonnet with brake fluid and PSF, but will have to get up earlier tomorrow I think. Sorry, really shutting up now...

Dear Journal,

I'm such a good girl. Still paleo-ing away as though it were an actual change in lifestyle/attitude, not just a try-it-and-see.

What with having no kitchen, no time, no life at the moment frankly, I did today briefly wish I could just scarf a pie from the shop instead of being picky and fussy. But I didn't. And it would have been self-destructive - I had eleven hours gardening work to fit in today, and had I been on the old ways, I would have been dragging myself about by hour 8. Instead of bouncing about being cheerful; planting out stuff of my own when I got home, and dropping in on the neighbours to pass on spare bedding plants.

I must be fatburning now ('converted'?) because where else would the energy come from if not that spare inch or so from around my arse? It's certainly not coming from the miserly mouthful of beef I had today. It's not that I haven't had moments of hunger, but let's face it, being a disorganised person as well as having tried the odd diet in my life before, hunger is not a novel sensation. Transient hunger without wobbliness IS however. I like it.

Work again tomorrow. Pah. I believe I may have said this before...

... but...

... I WANT A DAY OFF. I DO.

Nevermind. It's my birthday in a few weeks' time and I've booked the day off then, regardless of what happens. And for now? There's martini in the fridge, gin in the freezer, and a jar of olives kicking around somewhere... dirty gin martini, here I come.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're doing great. Resilient indeed! I totally admire your spirit.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Ah, what a nice thing to say. Thank you, Joanie. But Wellington had it - whenever you hit a problem, tie a knot and carry on.

Well, work done again today. Back on the meat'n'cheese default which I'm learning means I'm a bit stressed. There's just so much to do. Mint. That's why. I tell people not to plant mint straight into the garden, but keep it in a pot instead. Or you have mint everywhere - garden, gutters, under the fridge, behind the hostas, up the side of the bath and in the toilet, strangling the delphiniums. But it's all 'oh but I love mint, I use so much of it, it's so lovely to have a little herb garden just by the back door...' and then they fecking well plant it out anyway.

Which is why I've spent my Sunday work hours digging out what amounts to 10 square metres of mint from in and around everything else. If I see another mint plant in the next five days I'm going to kick it to death.

Other irrational news: my lovely diesel car has a VERY fine engine. Nothing wrong with the mechanical side. But it's electronic brain? Different story. The electric windows go up, but not down. The radio turns itself off after every traffic alert. It thinks it's minus 27 degrees every time it starts up and starts shouting at me about the risk of ice. Sometimes we have BRIGHT lights on the dashboard, other days we're turned off completely and illegible. Last week it communicated in French rather than English. Not so bad. But this week it's speaking Italian, and I had to look up ghiacciare. Surprise, surprise, it's still shouting at me about ice.

Food note for the day: carried out plan M, or N, or wherever we're up to, and bought a week's worth of food that add up to the correct macronutrient relative quantities. If I empty that fridge by the end of the week I will have eaten 'correctly' without having to think about it again. Whether it's sensible to do so or not, I will report back on...

Well, well, food sensitivities ahoy. Having missed breakfast, I started mid-morning on my grab-bag of food from the fridge that I can eat at work. Started with a very large tomato. Unhappy stomach. Despite crab and avocado for lunch, had a bad hot/dizzy spell at about four that felt very much like carb hunger/shakes from the bad old days.

Thinking about it, I've had a lot of fruit juice, dates and veg the last two days - possibly too much sugar convertible/carb stuff. Perhaps this eat-stuff-from-the-fridge-in-random-order is not such a good plan.

Cannot find full fat FAGE for love or asking at present - and I have asked at least 3 different people in 3 different shops to check the store room at the back. Maybe stomach sulking at withdrawal of live bacteria. Settled for Onken natural yoghurt with added live stuff today, but not a patch on greek stuff. I'm going to start sulking at this rate. Must sort out food - getting v. tired and don't have time to be knackered.

Plus points: the cats' drinking fountain drowned in the flood - so got a new one with an almost silent motor. Bliss. I resented that background noise.

Downsides: the hoover drowned as well. Plus points: I have no carpet left anyway, and there's no point wasting time hoovering a dirt floor. Result - more time.

Must spend it sleeping. Bed time.

Well, hark at me doing the misery shuffle yesterday; sorry about that, Journal.

I think it's the sugar. I've been bang on with the primal since <whenever it is I started, couple of months, maybe?>, meaning no sugar, no bread, no wheaty things, no pasta, no hummus (dammit), nothing that isn't on the 'good' list. Literally, nothing that wasn't meat, fish, non-starchy veg, cream/butter/FAGE/stinky cheese. Nothing that had 'ingredients' - just solid lumps of original matter in it's original form. Except wine. Cough.

And since The Flood, that's slipped a bit. I've had a lot of fruit, a lot of fruit juice, a lot of wine. I've had quite a few lack-of-food shaky episodes in the last few days and I think it's probably because my insulin responses are becoming a bit hysterical again. So no wine and no fruit sugars for me for the rest of the week and see how it goes. If there are no more wobbles, and less tiredness, I will have learnt my lesson.

Italian lesson for the day from my car: ullavere benzina scarco (or approximate spelling...). So I topped it up, and we're back to Ghiaccio! Ghiaccio! -27C! Ghiaccio! Poor thing needs a holiday too.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What horrible fortune you've had lately. I sure hope that changes. You deserve manna from heaven for a month or so.

Sounds as though you really are fat-burning, and without planned IFing or anything. That's great news.

Love your car's attitude. Mine is speaking in Euro instead of U.S., but at least in English. One day I"ll have to read it's book and find out how to change it from degrees C to degrees F.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast