Thread: Rinsing soaking sea veg page

chronyx is offline Senior Member

Rinsing soaking sea veg

Shop Now
    Does anyone know if rinsing/soaking sea vegetables removes a significant amount of nutrients?

Obviously all I really want to remove is excessive salt.

At the moment I just add extra unrinsed sea veg for flavour instead of salt which seems a good compromise.

Paleobird Guest
    You can get some that come unsalted. I know some of the ones I find at my local Asian markets are massively overly salty. The Sea Tangle brand of kelp noodles is great. I get them at Netrition.com

For the ones you have, I'm sure a quick rinse wouldn't hurt but a long soak, who knows?

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, this is just pure dried seaweed (Sea spaghetti and mixed shredded sea veggies)

Also, sea spaghetti is DELICIOUS.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Any soaking liquid can be used in soup.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    Thanks, this is just pure dried seaweed (Sea spaghetti and mixed shredded sea veggies)
    Also, sea spaghetti is DELICIOUS.
    Yes, I think the excess saltiness comes from the drying process. The sea tangle ones are sea spaghetti but they are fresh in a bag.

Heth is offline Member
    I buy the Spiral ones (don't know if they are in the UK?) and the packet says to rinse then soak but I just soak and use the soak water in my miso soup. I have eaten seaweed off the ocean in a pristine place and I just rinsed in the seawater and it was yummy. So I'm not worried about rinsing, until I am convinced otherwise. I'm not a big salt eater and I don't find it too salty to eat seaweed unrinsed.
    Primal since May 2012. Loving life and down 50lbs.