Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what to do about the dreaded thighs when your underweight?! page

So what to do about the dreaded thighs when your underweight?!

Primal Fuel
    Heya my name is Alex and I don't know about you but I struggle with fattier thighs
    Since March last year I have lost 14.4kg of weight (31lbs).
    I used to weigh 67.8kg and now I weigh 53.4kg at a height of 5'9", my BMI now being 17.9, good you'd say? No!

I was on the Paleo diet/lifestyle for the start of this year and did really well with it (I love it! So much energy and health!) but pressure from my family (they didn't approve of paleo :O)forced me into bad diets with unfortunately lots of sugar and carby things but a high caloric defecit, as you can imagine I lost more than I wanted to and it was all my lean muscle mass!
    So now I look almost anorexic on my top half however I have huge, fatty thighs and everything is like jelly even though I am now classed as underweight.

Personally I have now returned to paleo and now go to the gym 3 times a week to lift weights and do short but intense cardio sessions (10-15mins) and then I have Saturday being my sprint day. Furthermore I walk to and from my college and around my town every day.
    I havn't noticed much change yet but I know that I really must rid all this excess fat and build the muscle again.
    If anyone can give me some advice on what to do it would help so much!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You need to lift heavy to grow muscles. But I think your perception is probably quite different from what anyone else would be seeing. You may have some jelly-like fattiness on your thighs, but "huge" at 5'9" and 117.5 pounds? No.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You need to lift heavy to grow muscles. But I think your perception is probably quite different from what anyone else would be seeing. You may have some jelly-like fattiness on your thighs, but "huge" at 5'9" and 117.5 pounds? No.
    This. I think you are doing what you need to do already. Focus on the heavy lifting and walking more than the running and sprinting. Your body just needs some time to adjust.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

wiltondeportes Guest
    Eat lots of chicken thighs. The muscle proteins in the thigh will transmutate themselves onto your thigh as they pass through in your blood stream.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Continue lifting and eating well to get the muscle back, as the others have said. For the fat on the thighs - it is correlated with estorgen/xenoestrogen dominance, may be some tweaks in nutrition or supplementation could help. Check out this Robb Wolf's podcast - Estrogen & Brad Davidson - Episode 136
    They mention a few products but I find that just DIM (made from broccoli) and some calcium d-glucarate helps me if I need to push the weightloss on my bum/thighs.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    You're describing a perfectly normal female form. Its natural and healthy to carry fat below the waist.

And unless those concerned family members are holding you down and force feeding you sugar and wheat, they are not responsible. You're young, you made a drastic change using a method they don't understand, and they are concerned for you. If they sense the negative self image issues you're projecting here, its easy to see why they're concerned.

You can put them at ease by modeling a healthy primal life. Eating WELL and eating for optimal health. Exercicing for optimal health. Paying attention to the other primal components that aren't about food. Not being on a diet.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Ride your bike--chances are what you are seeing is just untoned muscle.

117 lbs at 5'9"? Check out my stats. You must wear a size 00 (I wear a size 2).
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    When I was young and had no muscle tone, I had dreadfully flabby, cellulitey thighs. The situation will resolve itself.

Okay thankyou everyone for the support! What I love so much about Primal is that it really focuses on enjoying life and health! I love walking and running a little (like up my hill to my house when I come home from college! ) so I'm going to aim at walking an hour to two hours a day and every week focus on my sprinting technique.
    In the meantime I spoke to my gym and I've learned more about the weight machines so I'm going to now lift weights and hopefully build or tone up the upper body and I think the movement and sprints will help the thighs.
    They arn't HUGE but I am unhappy as they are really flabby fat and I can easily grab large chunks of it in my hands and I know it is fat haha (what a wierd mental image D.
    I'm gonna also fully commit to primal eating again (ive cheated a lot lately)
    Just one more point, how long should I expect to see some results of this plan?

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    It took about 3 weeks for me to start seeing results from the gym.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast