Thread: PWO Blood Sugar Hacking page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

PWO Blood Sugar Hacking

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, I've been tracking my blood sugar lately to add info to the data my awesome Functional Medicine doctor has been compiling. I'm recording waking/fasted, and then 2-hour post-prandial (meal) for my 3 main meals.

Anyhow, it's sort of caused me to geek out a bit and I'm freeing my inner Tim Ferriss...

Been playing around with the effect of PWO nutrition options. Two in particular -- whey with sweet potato baby food or whey with unsweetened apple sauce. Both yield around 25 grams of protein and 24-30 grams of carbohydrate.

Day 1:
    CrossFit Football WOD "CrossFit Disco"
    10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
    Power Cleans @ 75% BW (135#)
    Pull-ups
    Total WOD time: 19:48

Pre-WOD BS: 94 mg/dL
    Post-WOD BS: 109 mg/dL
    PWO snack -- whey & sweet potato
    1-hr post-PWO BS: 86 mg/dL

Day 2:
    Back Squat
    2, 2, 2, 2 @ 185, 215, 235, 245 then,

15 min AMRAP (w/partner - 1 works while other runs 200M. Pick up reps where partner left off.)
    10 Deadlift @ 185#
    10 Knees-to-Elbows
    10 Box Jumps to 24" box

Pre-WOD BS: 112 mg/dL
    Post-WOD BS: 111 mg/dL
    PWO snack -- whey & apple sauce
    1-hr post-PWO BS: 116 mg/dL

I know there are a million varaibles and I've really only compiled two data "points" but was curious as to thoughts?
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

otzi Guest
    I've been geeking out with glucose lately, too. I think there is much to be said for a low FBG and good insulin sensitivity.

Your numbers look good, but you need to get geekier!

Go buy a hundred or so test strips and check your blood sugar upon waking, then every 30 minutes until you eat your first meal. Then check every 15 minutes for 3-4 hours afterwards. Plot the chart. Try a meal consisting of only plain potato and a meal of only meat for comparisons.

After you are satisfied with what your blood sugar is doing, try some things to increase sensitivity, which will be seen as a blunting of the glucose response after meals and a lowering of FBG.

I have found, and it's well backed-up in studies, that eating some raw potato starch has a huge effect on insulin sensitivity. It must be eaten in it's raw state, normally mixed with a protein shake or smoothie. You need about 4TBS a day and changes are seen on first day.

Raw potato starch has zero glycemic load. If you ate a pound of it, it would not raise your blood sugar. It gets absorbed slowly and attenuates glucose and does some strange stuff, like create what's known as a 'second-meal effect'. This is when you eat the low GI food (potato starch in this case) at one meal, you will see a lowering of BG in your second meal, 4-5 hours later, that can't really be explained by science.

When your FBG is consistently in the 80-95 range, and post-prandial BG spikes are kept under 130, even with a huge carb load, you will know you are getting extremely insulin sensitive. Playing around with meal timing can sort of 'game' the system, but doesn't really create greater insulin sensitivity.

Do some google searches for 'raw potato starch+glucose control' and 'second-meal effect', you'll see what I mean. It works, and since you have a glucose meter, you can test it.