Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling sluggish during running page

sgtcyclist is offline Junior Member

Feeling sluggish during running

Shop Now
    I am in the military, for 2 more months. I have been running for routine PT because it is required for us in the military. I prefer cycling. I have one more test to take. I normally feel pretty good once I get to running 3 miles 3 times a week. Additionally, I do pushups and situps.

I started the 21 Day Transformation. I am on day 8. I am not sure why I feel sluggish. It is almost like my legs don't have the energy. I finish in a decent time, but it takes effort.

Any ideas or tips?

I should add I am 43 years old male... 26 years in the military...

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Are you restricting your carbs? If you are, perhaps you should let up on that and allow yourself some potatoes, sweet, potatoes, or rice.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Are you restricting your carbs? If you are, perhaps you should let up on that and allow yourself some potatoes, sweet, potatoes, or rice.
    I bet she nailed it. The time to become fat-adapted is when you don't have to take PT running tests.

I had some sweet potatoes last week but don't on a regular basis... trying to stick with the 21 DT intent... Should I have them more often as long as I don't go over the 150 grams a day?

After doing a quick review of my journal, it appears I never went over 100 grams. Bounced around 80-90 one day I only had 24 grams of carbs.

I appreciate your advice.

Have an extra serving of carbs with dinner each night.

Can I follow up? Thoughts on rice over sweet potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtcyclist View Post
    Can I follow up? Thoughts on rice over sweet potatoes?
    I would put the sweet potatoes on top of the rice, rather than the other way around. :P

Seriously, just try it and find out what works for you.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The sweet potatoes are going to have a few more nutrients, but really you're looking for cheap carbs that you don't react negatively to.

I know you've heard this in your career, but make sure you are drinking water. Low carb can dehydrate you. Pay attention to your salt intake as well- it's easy to go too low when you cut out all processed food-like products.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    The sweet potatoes are going to have a few more nutrients, but really you're looking for cheap carbs that you don't react negatively to.

I know you've heard this in your career, but make sure you are drinking water. Low carb can dehydrate you. Pay attention to your salt intake as well- it's easy to go too low when you cut out all processed food-like products.
    Sorry, I have been swamped. Eating the SP has made things a little easier. Thanks. I drink lots of water.

I do have a question for those of you doing primal... How much running and what kind of running do you do? Nice and easy 5K or 1 mile sprints? Just curious.

Once I get this last test out of the way and I am retired, I will be doing my weights again with some road cycling, which I prefer.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast