Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any old hippies? Even just baby-boomers? page 2

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    wtf?

Cannabis evolved symbiotically alongside and among humans. You are insultingly ignorantly incorrect to lump it in with pharmaceuticals and alcohol, both of which require a specialized class of evil sorcerors to create and distribute.

Monkeys get high- even my cats love pot plants. It is absolutely a natural and normal human thing for man in his environment to get high.

This is what I am talking about...

How can there be adults who talk like this? As if we went to sleep for Lyndon Johnson and woke up just in time for DARE. What are you boners on about?
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Also of the many pot smokers that I know, every single one of them would tell you that being high absolutely altered their perspective of society and themselves. In the case of men especially.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    That's your opinion and I have mine. If you think I'm ignorant, I'll quietly leave you to your thread. I meant no harm.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Z0oom is offline Member
    I would consider cannabis to be a very significant catalyst in the findings of new perspectives. Granted someone on acid might get it done faster and to a greater extent due to the alterations to ones visual field. Just like how cannabis can make something like petting your cat worthwhile.....it can make something like, looking up information on nutrition more interesting. Ex: Many people are in the boat that they do not have an issue with their diet, and they need no changes, and keep on floating on eating whatever strikes their emotional strings. It wasn't until I tried cannabis that I started to second guess the food I was eating, the water (or lack thereof) I was drinking. It opened up perspectives that I do not think I would have worried about had I gone about my way without it.

Maybe it is it's legality that springs these realizations to light. A harmless, wonderful drug that has been banned from the populace seems like such a cruel thing. Let alone arresting and jailing people over it. It might make people start to wonder what other things might be suppressed or encouraged in society, and it makes you think about who is profiting from its ban/promotion. You start to see who is on whose side. And it is not just drugs, its with food and agriculture, education, and many many more things.

Perhaps these realizations come to people without the use of hallucinogens, all I know is that those who do use, have more experience in viewing these altered perspectives, and if they wish, they can learn from them.

Truth effect!

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Mr Perfidy perhaps you are living in the wrong part of the country, where I live it is still a way of life.

I think Joanie has a point, it affects people differently, it can be an aid to mind expansion or it can just be recreational. From what I've seen of long term use (I'm referring to those that have used it for 25+ yrs) it's mind expanding properties have their limits, most people I know in that category seem somewhat emotionally and intellectually arrested. But that's not to say I don't enjoy their company.

sjmc is offline Senior Member

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    We don't need drugs to alter our perspective. I advocate meeting people from different cultures and discussing things with them. When I was in the Army I got posted to BAOR (Germany). My unit's bar cleaning lady spoke four languages and she explained it like this:- "Every language you speak is like a different life you live." I can now ask for beer in fifteen languages, not that I (often) drink beer nowadays.

My point is, we can train ourselves to think differently and do not need mind altering substances that may just harm our bodies.

I recommend The Art of Happiness by Howard C. Cutler on the thoughts of the Dalai Lama.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I prefer to know about edible mushrooms rather than the other kind. I think mindfulness is a more positive (and cheaper) way to change your thinking. I've changed my perspective by walking the length of the US. I don't care what others want to do, but I can't see how any of it changes anything. Whether they get taxes out of me or not they still are incredibly clever at finding new ways to destroy the world and all her living things.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hippie here. this particular hippie still worked hard as a single mom for a phd, became a 3rd degree black belt along the way, rode motorcycles until the car drivers were too hostile, still vote, still work hard to hold back the cynicism in myself and others as a college professor. Long-time feminist and very proud of it. I'll stay out of the 420 debate--let's just say i live in tahoe... (!).

yes, all of that past history DOES matter. (And it's nice to have a forum--college--in which to still instruct in history, even if i'm an english prof!) That any time in history wasn't "perfect" is, well, what happens when one tries something different, in social movements of any kind. One hopes that the three steps forward generate only one or two steps backwards. I see progress outside of the political machinery which has gotten stronger and more clever, in individual humans and in the humanity of youth. And I teach at a college in california whose high schools are the worst in the state, so i'm talking about those who have been abused by this system for decades and decades, and who have the most to lose going forward. Do i have hopes for our future, in terms of economics, environment, etc.? Guardedly. But i'm forever an optimist... and i look at my children and grandchildren and simply do not have the heart to give up.

So yeah, however you want to define "hippie," i'm in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast