Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page

Gorbag is offline Senior Member

Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon!

Shop Now
    Well, actually I have nothing against Starting Strength as a beginner routine since it obviously teaches sound principles by re-cycling similar ways of strength programming from the fifties and sixties. The Starting Strength religion is apparently a back to basic movement, so to say, after the bodybuilders of the seventies and eighties messed with the old “truths”! Starting Strength focusing on progress in the compound lifts and bulking up skinny teenage boys that also learn good lifting techniques is not really a bad thing, if you are new to lifting and in need of getting more meat on your body! So just drink the gallon of milk per day, and get under the bar and learn how to do the basic lifts and progress on them for a while when you are young and relative untrained and progress comes easy! And good tidings for everybody; as a beginner you can progress on most non-retarded strength programs and gain muscle and strength – also on Starting Strength!

But to all those of you that think Starting Strength is the answer to all lifting goals and the fifth gospel, and that Rippetoe is the New Messiah and the coming of Christ and all that, I have this to say; maybe it’s now time to GET OFF the bandwagon before it’s too late and you seriously injury yourself by chasing strength numbers and pushing weights too heavy for your goals, when you are not really that interested in becoming a powerlifter anyway? Because if you are doing strength training for your sport, for bodybuilding or for general fitness there will be a diminishing return in exchange of the good looking lifting numbers, so don’t forget to jump off the bandwagon before it crash…

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Stunning photo. And what thinking would guide you as you jumped from the train, hopefully before it crashed?

(Note that I ask about the thinking behind the jump/landing, not necessarily where you would jump/land.)

Thanks!

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Yes, Gorbag is right. Be very careful that you don't get too strong. Every time you try to sit down at the dinner table, you'll accidentally smash through your chair. You'll rip doors clean off their hinges just trying to enter a room. Only bad things will happen. Approach novice linear progressions with great caution. [/sarcasm]

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Yes, Gorbag is right. Be very careful that you don't get too strong. Every time you try to sit down at the dinner table, you'll accidentally smash through your chair. You'll rip doors clean off their hinges just trying to enter a room. Only bad things will happen. Approach novice linear progressions with great caution. [/sarcasm]
    Rich, I think it's too late for me, save yourself while you still can! Listen to Gorbag, switch to machines and one legged dumbbell thrusts before you wreck yourself! Only misery awaits those who pursue strength with barbells, as evidenced from the millions of poor souls who used them and destroyed their bodies with too much muscle, non- functional strength, and loss of basic flexibility.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, he does have a point. There are a lot of injured people over there on the SS forum. And doing it Mark Rippetoe's way isn't the only way to get strong. You can get strong slower. I was always a big fan of that Jordan guy on the forum and a couple of the other ones. They seemed to have some saner ideas for diet and scheduling, especially saner for older people and people who maybe have flirted with the edges of metabolic syndrome. People like me, in other words.

So linear progression, if you can manage it, is a good thing. But the pace of the SS program is maybe not wise for everyone. And the milk is not even recommended by Rippetoe for everyone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm, those two stubborn and notorious Starting Strength fan boys; quikky and RichMahogany, visiting the thread with their blind faith shining from their postings! The last thing I really want is to take away their naïve childish faith, but sooner or later some weak link i.e. human tissue may break down, and usually it will not be pretty when that happens! I have seen it too often from guys that think they can do linear progressing by loading more weight on the bar every week ad infinitum, and the set back when something "happens" can be for years or even end a lifting carrier…

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about quikky, but I think RM has already moved on to 5-3-1.... so he's switched up the program already. These guys are fairly young, healthy, and robust. Quite frankly I do believe now is the time to do these programs and push themselves. They can make some serious gains with lower risk of debilitating injury and the strength will stay with them to some degree even if they back off to a "maintenance" approach later. So I say have at it right now.

I do think that the older you are and the more previous injuries your dealing with the less likely any one program is gonna do it for you. There's just much more individual circumstance to plan for. Recovery time and work arounds for previous injuries being two of the major things. Heck I'm sure Rippetoe has worked with such individuals and could do a fine job with them on a one on one basis....its just any "program" is a bit limited in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hmmm, those two stubborn and notorious Starting Strength fan boys; quikky and RichMahogany, visiting the thread with their blind faith shining from their postings! The last thing I really want is to take away their naïve childish faith, but sooner or later some weak link i.e. human tissue may break down, and usually it will not be pretty when that happens! I have seen it too often from guys that think they can do linear progressing by loading more weight on the bar every week ad infinitum, and the set back when something "happens" can be for years or even end a lifting carrier…
    You are right, Gorbag. Lifting barbells carries a level of risk, and a chance for injury. It's very unique in this sense, because it is the only sport that has a risk of injury, especially at the advanced levels of training. Soccer, running, basketball, football, judo, are all perfectly safe, especially when you look at statistical injury rates for all the sports - barbells are the only thing causing injury to athletes.

Thank you for your insights.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Mr. Gorbag -

You do realize that a novice linear progression is promoted as being appropriate for novice lifters, right?

Rich, we're dealing with a classic Gorbag strawman. He's making a successful argument against points neither one of us has made.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast