Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page 7

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But you have to admit that if you deviate at all from the Starting Strength program, even if it is to make adjustments to account for being older, fatter or weaker than the typical demographic or whatever, there is a lot of negativity directed at you from the Internet community that surrounds Starting Strength, including from some of its coaches. This is what I mean by the constant drumbeat about Your Not Doing The Program. I ended up doubting myself too much. Now I just follow a program, progress as well as I can, and make sure that I feel awesome all the time rather than injured, sick or guilty.
    I have not personally seen negativity, especially from SS coaches/staff, towards people who make reasonable adjustments to the program. If you're talking about some random jackasses, then that's just random jackasses on the internet, i.e. not representative of what the program really is about or what the people behind it represent.

That said, there are a lot of people that are Not Doing The Program that think they are. Put yourself into Rip's shoes and imagine running your own forum, where daily you get a ton of questions from people clearly not doing your program, saying they are doing your program, and asking why your program is not working. How long would you maintain your politeness? I mean look at Gorbag in this thread, he's made a ton of arguments against Starting Strength, none of which are actually applicable to the program because he's twisted it into something it is not.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I agree with the OP, use SS to lock in those novice gains and then switch to an intermediate program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread disagrees with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    This is exactly the standard recommendation for those doing Starting Strength. ...Except this is not what the OP is saying at all. He's saying doing SS will cripple you because you keep adding weight to the bar, and then you become stupid and keep adding weight even though your form has become terrible, and then you keep adding, even if you're no longer a novice and your back is broken, and then you die. Or something like that, you can follow this thread and see what he's talking about it, because I don't think anyone really knows.
    LOL... Pretty sure both you guys are missing sarcasm/tongue in cheek aspect of Legbiters post.

Its OK Legbiter... I get it

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Interesting. That must be unique to the SS community. You never see that kind of negativity around here!
    And to be fair, there were plenty of positive people there.

I just didn't like the nagging feeling that I was doing something wrong with how I ended up doing things. So I decided to just not worry so much about it, and part of that was disengaging from the forum over there so I wouldn't trigger any self-doubt.

I kind of like the things I've read by Wendler. Saying stuff like well if you could lift XXlbs X times and now you can lift XXlbs XX times, you are stronger. I could lift 75lbs 5 sets of 3 reps (I ended up having to drop to 3 reps at a time to keep the progress going) using SS methods of prioritizing more weight over more reps. But that's where I stopped. So far just working on lower weights and more reps, not even doing Wendler's program yet, I was able to do 70 x 10 just the other day. I'm getting stronger but not by following the SS method.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I did miss the sarcasm. I'm usually quite adept at that though, so it pains me :P

sbhikes that's great that you can take it further. I think it's quite individual when you have to move onwards.
    For me, I was a bit confused as my weights when I kept stalling where well below what is "expected" of a young man like me.
    I've heard it said many times that I should be able to continue until 2x deadlift and 1.5x squat, but I wasn't near that when I quit SS. I started Wendler in December, and have just recently hit 1.5x squat and 1.8x deadlift. It takes longer, but the progress actually happens

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    37491246.jpg

I don't know if any of you will appreciate a Mean Girls reference.

In case it's an attachment pending approval... http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/37491246.jpg

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    37491246.jpg

I don't know if any of you will appreciate a Mean Girls reference.

In case it's an attachment pending approval... http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/37491246.jpg
    I think that just about sums up the argument here

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    My body hardly responds to training, but SS is the only thing that does work a little. I have tried to jump off the wagon onto another one but I couldn't help to fall back on the SS wagon
    Billie trips balls

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Some wisdom from the Hodgetwins that pretty much sum up my position on this issue:

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    The Hodge twins like Starting Strength. Here's a more recent video from them.

In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    LMFAO.... linking these guys DOES NOT HELP either of your positions!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast