Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page 6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Gorbag follows me and Rich around and sends his army of strawmen at us every chance he gets.
    Ha! a comment so beyond retarded, that it puts you quikky on my ignore list for the next 400 years! I may come back to you after half of that time if I am still around here, so goodbye for now...

Hmmm, I wonder who started this thread and who followed me here...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    So as you probably can see on one hand we have a system of strength progression that instruct the lifters to progress by overloading the barbell from session to session and on the other hand lifters are learned to keep a good form, which is a good thing of course, but also because when something "happens" RIP can wash his hands and put the blame on the lifter that he did get sloppy with the form, and not as a fault of the Starting Strength! But the Starting Strength system is indeed built on aggressively progressing on loading more and more weights on the bar, and there will be a huge temptation to compromise form to fulfill the plan of progression. After stalling a couple of sessions the lifter get impatient and sloppy with the form to continue on his perpetual linear progress into the strength heaven and then a weak link in his body finally breaks down, like a tendon or whatever
    Clearly a problem with Starting Strength, not the intelligence of the lifter who impatiently decides to forgo form and add weight. Brilliant.

Ha! a comment so beyond retarded, that it puts you quikky on my ignore list for the next 400 years! I may come back to you after half of that time if I am still around here, so goodbye for now...

Hmmm, I wonder who started this thread and who followed me here...
    Farewell, Gorbag. Enjoy your strawmen in peace.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the OP, use SS to lock in those novice gains and then switch to an intermediate program.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Legbiter View Post
    I agree with the OP, use SS to lock in those novice gains and then switch to an intermediate program.
    I don't think anyone in this thread disagrees with that.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    I don't think anyone in this thread disagrees with that.
    Nope, me neither. Gorbag's just being hilariously butthurt about SS in general for...I dunno, someone slighted bodyweight exercises in general or something.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Nope, me neither. Gorbag's just being hilariously butthurt about SS in general for...I dunno, someone slighted bodyweight exercises in general or something.
    LOL, No, I am not at all "butthurt" - when all the SS fan boys are shouting Hurrah! hurrah! - and waiving their flags over this fantastic "new" system, which is basically just a shallow RIP-OFF from the past, I am trying to balance it with a dash of Reason, to calm down their frenetic enthusiasm a little! So, I am not at all butthurt! And NO, I am not against barbells either, and I have used barbells for many years and still do – but contrary to those that thinks it’s the ONLY tool or THE most efficient tool to strength, I am also a great fan of heavy dumbbells and sensible machines as well!

You are from Iceland? A great place that I enjoy and have visited! My favorite singer Bjrk also comes from there…

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    LOL, No, I am not at all "butthurt" - when all the SS fan boys are shouting Hurrah! hurrah! - and waiving their flags over this fantastic "new" system, which is basically just a shallow RIP-OFF from the past, I am trying to balance it with a dash of Reason, to calm down their frenetic enthusiasm a little! So, I am not at all butthurt! And NO, I am not against barbells either, and I have used barbells for many years and still do but contrary to those that thinks its the ONLY tool or THE most efficient tool to strength, I am also a great fan of heavy dumbbells and sensible machines as well!
    Yawn.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You also have to realize that the standard SS demographic is young men (18-35). If you are not in this demographic, you might need tweaks and adjustments. Rip doesn't recommend squatting heavy 3 times a week to older people, for example.
    Yes, I know that. In fact, his program is really the Practical Programming book. Starting Strength is just a subset of Practical Programming.

But you have to admit that if you deviate at all from the Starting Strength program, even if it is to make adjustments to account for being older, fatter or weaker than the typical demographic or whatever, there is a lot of negativity directed at you from the Internet community that surrounds Starting Strength, including from some of its coaches. This is what I mean by the constant drumbeat about Your Not Doing The Program. I ended up doubting myself too much. Now I just follow a program, progress as well as I can, and make sure that I feel awesome all the time rather than injured, sick or guilty.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    .....even if it is to make adjustments to account for being older, fatter or weaker than the typical demographic or whatever, there is a lot of negativity directed at you from the Internet community that surrounds Starting Strength ......
    Interesting. That must be unique to the SS community. You never see that kind of negativity around here!

quikky is offline Senior Member
    This is exactly the standard recommendation for those doing Starting Strength. ...Except this is not what the OP is saying at all. He's saying doing SS will cripple you because you keep adding weight to the bar, and then you become stupid and keep adding weight even though your form has become terrible, and then you keep adding, even if you're no longer a novice and your back is broken, and then you die. Or something like that, you can follow this thread and see what he's talking about it, because I don't think anyone really knows.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast