Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page 5

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Thank you for that! And that comes from a poster that swear that she can gain weight in a calorie deficit - and below 800 calories per day...
    The answer is so simple I am surprised even you did not think of it. Unbelievable, the idea that a pound of fat and a pound of protein have different caloric values! That the fabled "must eat exactly 3500 calories to gain a pound" of lore does not take into account that lean muscle mass only contains about 660 calories per pound! Though poor Gorbag must consume an excess of 2840 calories of energy in order to convert that steak into lean muscle mass, not all of us are cursed with such inefficient metabolisms.

Since you are mathematically innumerate, perhaps I should be rolling my eyes at you.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    When to stop barbell training? When you reach your goals.

How do you know what the "warning signs" are? Common sense.
    This thread is not about barbells as such, but about the Starting Strength bandwagon and progressive linear overload, so make sure that you are sitting on the right bandwagon, and please try again...

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    The thread is about barbells and confusing readers who are new to this. That's what it means to be a troll.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    This thread is not about barbells as such, but about the Starting Strength bandwagon and progressive linear overload, so make sure that you are sitting on the right bandwagon, and please try again...
    Holy nit-pick Batman! Way to ignore my points and highlight a technicality.

I'm beginning to agree with Katherine. This is quickly drifting into troll territory.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Mr. Gorbag -

Can you provide examples of anyone suggesting that weight be increased in the absence of correct form? I thought your problem was muscle tissue becoming stronger too fast for other tissue, such as tendons, to keep pace.

The majority of Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training is devoted to teaching proper, safe form for the lifts. Anyone who thinks they are doing the program who has not read the book is not doing the program.

I'll gladly go on record as saying that one should not continue increasing the weight every workout if they are not able to do so with safe and correct form.

Your criticism is valid, but it is NOT a criticism of the Starting Strength program, or any of the coaches I've encountered on the SS forums, including Mr. Rippetoe.

That being said, a novice linear progression is the most effective way for a novice lifter to go from detrained to intermediate status. At which point linear progression is neither advised nor possible. And yes, I do think Starting Strength is the most appropriate novice program I've come into contact with. I wish I had understood and followed it when I began lifting, rather than doing ridiculous exercises like pistol squats with kettlebells on Bosu balls and trying to utilize a great variety of exercises for variety's sake, rather than progressing on the big lifts with appropriate volume and intensity. At least I know better now.

Tl;dr version: Dear Gorbag: Search function, noob.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I thought your problem was muscle tissue becoming stronger too fast for other tissue, such as tendons, to keep pace.
    For this post I will play Gorbag for the response (nit-picked and disconnected from the argument section of your post has been quoted):

I have seen several lifters tear connective tissue so the danger is definitely there, RichMahogany! You would know this if you were not such a naive lifter and would stop worshiping Rippetoe for a minute! If you don't jump off the Starting Strength bandwagon, it will end in DISASTER.

Thank you. The end.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Didn't you guys all have this argument a few days ago on another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Out of those people, who has read the SS book? Who has recorded their lifts and checked for form? Who even knows exactly what proper form is?
    I read the book (oh god it was so boring!) and also read some of Practical Programming. I recorded my lifts and checked for form with videos. I can't say I know exactly what proper form is because I find it hard to see exactly what I am doing, but I've hired a trainer (who wasn't a SS trainer) and am taking a class and I ask for and receive feedback. I still managed to hurt myself but I am fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    And at 54 I am not at all interested in pushing my body too far, too fast and into injury.
    I think this happens a lot. It is easy to push your body too far and into injury. I know because I did it and it was very easy to do. My biggest disagreement with SS is the relentless drumbeat that you must add more weight or else you are a pussy or NDTP or whatever. It is pretty common for us older ones to understand that limiting our mobility for life is not a good trade-off for quick strength gains.

Still, the Starting Strength board is full of SS trainers offering advice for the older or more cautious among us. One piece of advice I got was to workout only 2x a week. It really helped me a lot because working out 3x a week was making me sick.

Another bit of helpful advice was to slow down the progress.

Another piece of advice given over and over is that if you are a fat guy you already possess the hormonal environment for tissue growth and do not need the GOMAD. They recommend the paleo diet all the time for people, especially fatter people, they just don't call it the paleo diet. There's even one trainer on the board who is pretty adamantly against GOMAD in most cases although he keeps his opinion sort of low key.

I don't think there is anything wrong with SS for myself. I might switch back to it. I wanted to try 5/3/1 and see if it works for me. I have an Olympic lifting class so doing 5/3/1 2x a week plus my Oly class plus using some of the parts of the Oly lifts as accessory lifts on lifting days is a lot of work. But it's less work than Starting Strength.

I never did the true SS program because I couldn't figure out the power cleans. I built up my strength enough that I could take the Oly class so I could be taught movements that might help me understand power cleans. I still haven't done any power cleans, but I work on high pulls, overhead squat (still can't manage the empty bar yet) and the jerk part of the clean and jerk.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    In no way am I arguing for or against the SS program, but as someone who has suffered a "catastrophic connective tissue injury" (complete rupture pec tendon while benching 225lbs) I can tell you what NOT to do AKA what led to my injury in order of relevance:

1. 1-2 years worth of not lifting frequently, and came back with shitty form cause 225 has always been light for me. let my elbows flare. This deserves some explanation. I've always been disproportionately upper body strong, so at 160 I can still pump out 6-8 reps of 225 and have maxed over 300lbs. After a couple years the strength to do 225 was there (did it the week before for 6 reps), but I was still deconditioned.

FIX: Don't, be a dumbass. Watch your form and take a couple weeks to get reacquanted with the movements before you jump back into it. Even if it does feel light as hell.

2. Not enough warmup. Walked in cold, did one warmup of 10 reps at 135 then jumped into my work sets. Was working out on lunch and really just rushed it.

FIX: Don't rush it. Do a few (several if your getting heavy) warmup sets. Maybe don't workout on your lunch hour if you gotta rush it.

3. Several shoulder injuries in my past. I've separated my shoulders more times than I can remember through my 15 years or so on the mat. This can absolutely predispose other tendons/muscles to taking up more of the load than they would otherwise have to in a more healthy person.

FIX: Deal with the fact that old injuries can be fixed to almost normal if you work at it, but there may be some limitations. Strength will improve stability, but the methods and speed that you can build that area may be a bit different from other areas that have not suffered injury.

4. Didn't take the time to work back up to my working sets. Strength is a persistent adaptation. No doubt about that. After over a year of not lifting I walked in and put up numbers in my first workout that were darn close to what my normals where. However the neuroadaption for stability in this learned specific movement (motor unit control and coordination if you will) was probably low due to the time off. So while the strength was there, the stability and coordination was lacking.

FIX: See fix one. And when coming off a long layoff take the 2-4 weeks to practice the movements all over again to get that neuroadaptive response and stability factor.

Thats about it. My N=1 on catastrophic weightlifting injury for people to learn from. Sad thing is I already knew all this shit before I did it. But, weight lifting injuries like this really ARE NOT that common so we sometimes think all that advice above is a bunch of bull that doesn't pertain to us. I'm 35... 3 years past this ruptured pec, and I could still get under a 225lb bar for reps, but I'm not gonna. Once you've heard a muscle tear apart like that (sounded like a thick towel being torn) you get a little nervous. So I do weighted dips instead and feel a bit more stable and have followed all my own "rules" this time.

Someone can point out that this is in the program and thats fine. I'm just relaying a personal experience with a rare event.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Didn't you guys all have this argument a few days ago on another thread?
    Yeah, we have this "argument" in every thread that mentions barbells, Rip, or SS. Gorbag follows me and Rich around and sends his army of strawmen at us every chance he gets.

I read the book (oh god it was so boring!) and also read some of Practical Programming. I recorded my lifts and checked for form with videos. I can't say I know exactly what proper form is because I find it hard to see exactly what I am doing, but I've hired a trainer (who wasn't a SS trainer) and am taking a class and I ask for and receive feedback. I still managed to hurt myself but I am fine now.
    Obviously, you have to use your head when it comes to learning form. It would be nice if each copy of SS shipped with a miniature Rippetoe attached to it, who would coach you, but alas you have to rely on yourself. The book provides fundamental knowledge on all the main lifts. However, you still have to assess yourself to know whether what you are doing matches what you've learned from the book. If in doubt, you can always post to the SS forum, or hire a good (SS certified) coach, or go to a SS seminar.

I think this happens a lot. It is easy to push your body too far and into injury. I know because I did it and it was very easy to do. My biggest disagreement with SS is the relentless drumbeat that you must add more weight or else you are a pussy or NDTP or whatever. It is pretty common for us older ones to understand that limiting our mobility for life is not a good trade-off for quick strength gains.
    There's a couple of things here. First, no one says you should ignore form and add weight to the bar. At least certainly not anyone whose opinion you should consider. Second, every strength program in existence will require you to increase resistance. If you don't, you don't become stronger. If the issue is that it's every workout, it's simply because of the Novice Effect (Google it if you have not read Rip's article on it). You add weight to the bar every workout because: 1. you can recover quickly because you are a novice and 2. you are maintaining proper form.

The entire SS book is dedicated to form. You have what, like 60 pages on the squat alone? Do you think the author supports poor form while increasing weight?

You also have to realize that the standard SS demographic is young men (18-35). If you are not in this demographic, you might need tweaks and adjustments. Rip doesn't recommend squatting heavy 3 times a week to older people, for example.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Mr. Gorbag -

Can you provide examples of anyone suggesting that weight be increased in the absence of correct form? I thought your problem was muscle tissue becoming stronger too fast for other tissue, such as tendons, to keep pace.

The majority of Starting Strength, Basic Barbell Training is devoted to teaching proper, safe form for the lifts. Anyone who thinks they are doing the program who has not read the book is not doing the program.

I'll gladly go on record as saying that one should not continue increasing the weight every workout if they are not able to do so with safe and correct form.

Your criticism is valid, but it is NOT a criticism of the Starting Strength program, or any of the coaches I've encountered on the SS forums, including Mr. Rippetoe.
    Hmmm, I know that my grammar is a bit "rusty" and maybe I was not clear enough in my posting no. 35 when I stated:

"Generally I can say that the Starting Strength followers are torn between two inherently contradictions in the system; one is keeping a good form in the lifts – and the other is aggressively progress from session to session by loading more and more weights on the barbell. So when the lifters are struggling to keep a good form in the lifts he is also instructed and tempted to go overboard by overloading the barbell – and sooner or later the DISASTER will happen, usually when form is neglected or breaks down, if not backing out in time…"

So as you probably can see on one hand we have a system of strength progression that instruct the lifters to progress by overloading the barbell from session to session and on the other hand lifters are learned to keep a good form, which is a good thing of course, but also because when something "happens" RIP can wash his hands and put the blame on the lifter that he did get sloppy with the form, and not as a fault of the Starting Strength! But the Starting Strength system is indeed built on aggressively progressing on loading more and more weights on the bar, and there will be a huge temptation to compromise form to fulfill the plan of progression. After stalling a couple of sessions the lifter get impatient and sloppy with the form to continue on his perpetual linear progress into the “strength heaven” and then a weak link in his body finally breaks down, like a tendon or whatever…

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast