Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    What about non-linear progressive overload, such as most intermediate lifting programs? Are we intermediates doomed to DISASTER as well?
    Non-linear cyclical progression is what most advanced athletes uses, and much safer of course, and personally I have not had any real disasters after many years of lifting, but I have witnessed far too many, unfortunately...

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Non-linear cyclical progression is what most advanced athletes uses, and much safer of course, and personally I have not had any real disasters after many years of lifting, but I have witnessed far too many, unfortunately...
    So you approve of Starting Strength, i.e. linear progression, for beginners, and you approve of non-linear progression for advanced lifters. What exactly do you not approve of? Linear progression for advanced lifters? You know advanced lifters by definition cannot do linear progression, right? If they can, they are not advanced, or even intermediate.

I honestly have no idea what you're arguing against at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    So you approve of Starting Strength, i.e. linear progression, for beginners, and you approve of non-linear progression for advanced lifters. What exactly do you not approve of? Linear progression for advanced lifters? You know advanced lifters by definition cannot do linear progression, right? If they can, they are not advanced, or even intermediate.

I honestly have no idea what you're arguing against at this point.
    This tread is about getting OFF the SS bandwagon in right time quikky, and not ride it too far, so you are obviously the guy that argues or have problems by understanding that simple point! Some relatively advanced lifters doing HIT programming and linear progressing, can do so that because they are using safer machines and many reps so it get less risky than with heavy ass loaded barbells...

This tread is about getting OFF the SS bandwagon in right time quikky, and not ride it too far, so you are obviously the guy that argues or have problems by understanding that simple point!
    Postulate what constitutes "riding it too far".

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    He's upset that you and I have recommended Starting Strength to novices, so he's arguing that it's only appropriate for novices, since the program can only be done by novices, in the interest of protecting novices.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    You know, when you get too strong. I hate it when that happens, personally.

Is that when your ligaments and tendons just snap off because they cannot handle your overly strong muscles and you have to switch to the leg press? 'Cuz that hasn't happened to me yet, maybe I am not strong enough? This makes me a sad panda.

It's definatly possibly to lift more weight than might be good for you RichMahogany!

Here an article you should try to learn a little from, to get rid of some of your naive misunderstandings about strength:

T NATION | 6 Interesting Things About Strength

It's definatly possibly to lift more weight than might be good for you RichMahogany!
    A profound observation. I think it is so profound that it applies to everything in life! Consider:

It's definitely possible to <insert anything here> than might be good for you!

Use the following examples to insert into the above: drink water, eat food, sleep, drink.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    A profound observation. I think it is so profound that it applies to everything in life! Consider:

It's definitely possible to <insert anything here> than might be good for you!

Use the following examples to insert into the above: drink water, eat food, sleep, drink.
    Sure. But that doesn't mean people haven't killed themselves by doing some of the above.

The question back to the OP: what guidance would you give someone who is crossing that bridge from novice to intermediate and when? What are the warning signs that the locomotive is going to go through the wall soon? Obviously for the crashing locomotive, the advice is jump off, but I suspect the advice for someone advancing through sS progression is something more nuanced than drop the barbells and do some pushups.

There is a great opportunity in the thread to move off of black and white and into advice that a novice lifter (me) can use. "if you start to notice X happening, then pay attention. You might consider doing more of Y and less of Z"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast