Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jumping OFF the Starting Strength bandwagon! page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The thread exists as an excuse for him to post that photo.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    You are right, Gorbag. Lifting barbells carries a level of risk, and a chance for injury. It's very unique in this sense, because it is the only sport that has a risk of injury, especially at the advanced levels of training. Soccer, running, basketball, football, judo, are all perfectly safe, especially when you look at statistical injury rates for all the sports - barbells are the only thing causing injury to athletes.

Thank you for your insights.
    And thank you for misrepresenting my argument, since I have not said that barbells causing injuries at all! In fact I have used them for many years, and still intend to continue to do that. My point is only that progressive linear overloading aka Starting Strength is a setup for DISASTER, and if jumping on the Bandwagon it is also important to get OFF the same bandwagon in time! So I am not against starting strength as a beginners routine at all as I already said in the OP, just make sure not to ride the linear overload progressing bandwagon to the bitter end, and to get off before the crash comes...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 04-30-2013 at 12:27 PM.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    And thank you for misrepresenting my argument, since I have said that barbells causing injuries at all! In fact I have used them for many years, and still intend to continue to do that. My point is only that progressive linear overloading aka Starting Strength is a setup for DISASTER, and if jumping on the Bandwagon it is also important to get OFF the same bandwagon in time! So I am not against starting strength as a beginners routine at all as I already said in the OP, just make sure not to ride the linear overload progressing bandwagon to the bitter end, and to get off before the crash comes...
    Can you elaborate on why and when it becomes dangerous to lift a couple pounds more than you did in your last workout?

I agree that there comes a point at which linear progress is no longer feasible, but I don't understand why you believe it becomes dangerous.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    The thread exists as an excuse for him to post that photo.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the photo eKathrine, it's meant to illustrate that linear progressive overload is a setup for DISASTER if you don't get off in time! A serious warning to the many SS fanboys- and girls around here...

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    reminds me of a recent exchange with Choco--when volume gets turned up and reason turned down, it's time to just step back and applaud--as in the sound of one hand clapping (himself on the back for discovering the One Truth for All)

I'm glad you enjoyed the photo eKathrine, it's meant to illustrate that linear progressive overload is a setup for DISASTER if you don't get off in time! A serious warning to the many SS fanboys- and girls around here...
    What about non-linear progressive overload, such as most intermediate lifting programs? Are we intermediates doomed to DISASTER as well?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Can you elaborate on why and when it becomes dangerous to lift a couple pounds more than you did in your last workout?

I agree that there comes a point at which linear progress is no longer feasible, but I don't understand why you believe it becomes dangerous.

Thanks!
    Structural imbalances that may accumulate over time, like muscle adaptions outgrows the tendons, and imbalance between agonist/antagonists, diet or medications etc... The few pounds that you put on the BAR from the last session may be the drop that make the water spill over so to say. And remember that recuperation is not necessary linear, so certain part may getting weaker when other parts get stronger, and BAM! - there I pulled my biceps off the bone by doing bent-over rowing with 250 pound and supinated grip…

quikky is offline Senior Member
    My point is only that progressive linear overloading aka Starting Strength is a setup for DISASTER, and if jumping on the Bandwagon it is also important to get OFF the same bandwagon in time! So I am not against starting strength as a beginners routine at all as I already said in the OP, just make sure not to ride the linear overload progressing bandwagon to the bitter end, and to get off before the crash comes...
    You either don't really understand how Starting Strength works and for who, or you just like contradicting yourself. No one but beginners can use Starting Strength. If you are an advanced, or even intermediate lifter, you will not be able to use Starting Strength. In fact, this is how you know you're not a beginner, you can't progress as quickly! So saying you support the program for beginners but not "forever" makes no sense because only beginners can use it to begin with.

You ever think about why it's called Starting Strength, and not Forever Strength, or Advanced Strength?

Structural imbalances that may accumulate over time, like muscle adaptions outgrows the tendons, and imbalance between agonist/antagonists, diet or medications etc... The few pounds that you put on the BAR from the last session may be the drop that make the water spill over so to say. And remember that recuperation is not necessary linear, so certain part may getting weaker when other parts get stronger, and BAM! - there I pulled my biceps off the bone by doing bent-over rowing with 250 pound and supinated grip…
    Astonishing. How did the human body manage to evolve with the ability for the muscle tissue to adapt to stress but the inability for the tendons to keep pace?

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Astonishing. How did the human body manage to evolve with the ability for the muscle tissue to adapt to stress but the inability for the tendons to keep pace?
    Unless... The connective tissue and bone also gets stronger along with the muscle... No... Can't be... Morpheus, pull the plug, I want to leave the Matrix!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast