Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique my business! page

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member

Critique my business!

Shop Now
    So I have been eating right and exercising/lifting solidly for a little over a year now, and was looking for some feedback about my current phase of work-out, which I call "Phase 2." (Phase 1 was regular lifting and a 30 minute cardio warm-up, and before that was just getting back into the swing of things with less serious and less routine exercise and calisthenics)

Ok so, I go to the gym first thing in the morning M-F. I do 45 minutes on an elliptical machine and maintain a heart rate that I was told by the trainers is like my fat-burning heart-rate. I adjust the difficulty and shit throughout the 45 minutes and hold different speeds, blah blah.

Then I lift after that, M is chest, T back W arms Th shoulders F legs, with some kind of abs in there everyday. I mix up pyramids with 3/10 sets and every now and then throw in some light weight super-rep count kinda shit. I do the basics all the time and then mix up some different stuff every week. I currently bench 245 in a set (weigh about 220 now).

(I can't squat though, or do any kind of high-impact leg stuff because I have torn ligaments in my knee and ankle. Even just stuff like woodchoppers, where you have to hold like a pivot leg, I can't do because of my ankle. But I get by.)

Then I take a short break and get my protein.

Then, elliptical again for an additional 30 or so minutes, maintaining the heart rate I was told. (140s)

Am I wasting my time? How can I improve on this? I kinda spend a lot of time in the gym now and I want it all to count; it's a big investment for me.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    2 things jump out to me. 1-thats a lot of cardio. 2-if you're donig this type of a bodybuilding-styled weight training program and only focusing on each muscle group 1x a week, thats fine. i'd probably put shoulder day before arm day. and maybe move legs to mid-week. Example: m-chest. t-back. w-legs. thurs-shoulders. f-arms

what are your current goals?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

It is a lot of cardio but I am probably like 30 pounds overweight still, at 220-5 now, from 270 maybe a year ago. The trainers told me a heart-rate range that is counter-productive, and I just avoid getting that high. If it goes over 150 I just slow my pace til I am back in range.

I am at maybe 22% body-fat now and wanna get to 14 in the nearish future.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

I hear you on the shoulders/arms. Sometimes I change up the whole order for the week, especially because often some bullshit comes up that only gives me 4 weekdays and then a weekend day to cover the missed one.

have you considered other options for your cardiovascular work? some HIIT circuits one day, a bike ride, even interval work on the elliptical? too much low and slow is certainly not the only option out there. if you're progress for fat loss is starting to slow down, maybe count calories/track macros. certainly all of this cardio is not maintainable in the long run, and as soon as you stop, you're bound to put the fat back on
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

well I have truly terrible legs, untreated torn ligaments in the knee real bad from a few years ago. My ankle is undiagnosed but I remember the original injury and I wouldn't be surprised if I tore ligaments there also. The elliptical is the only thing that I have tried where my knee and ankle don't make uncomfortable popping and grinding sounds.

On back day, I always can't think of many exercises to lift with, and end up doing cross-training kinda shit also. I shoulda mentioned that. Tuesdays I mix lifting with like football practice stuff I remember- up-downs, knee-lifts, and my new favorite, the knee-lift with a medicine ball, where I swing the ball down from over my head and smash it on my knee at the end of a lift.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Despite the fact that everybody including trainers insists that time spent doing cardio is directly related to how much weight is lost, this is still nothing but a myth. It's mostly diet.

That's not logical to me. How can that be so?

anyway I eat pretty well to lose weight.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what "eating pretty well to lose weight" means. Does it mean that you are tracking your calories every day? Or are you adjusting for each minute of cardio you do, and adding in calories to compensate? Or are you just eating what feels like ought to be the right amount of food?

If you're losing weight through manipulation of your diet, then why do you need so many hours of cardio? People lose weight through diet with zero hours of cardio.

The fact is that doing lots of cardio will train your body to become more efficient at doing lots of cardio. The more cardio you do, the fewer calories you end up burning per unit.

Your appetite is self-regulating. When you get more exercise, your body responds by making you hungrier in proportion to the extra calories you have burned.

Real studies show that simply adding cardio has next to no effect on a person's weight or fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    well I have truly terrible legs, untreated torn ligaments in the knee real bad from a few years ago. My ankle is undiagnosed but I remember the original injury and I wouldn't be surprised if I tore ligaments there also. The elliptical is the only thing that I have tried where my knee and ankle don't make uncomfortable popping and grinding sounds.

On back day, I always can't think of many exercises to lift with, and end up doing cross-training kinda shit also. I shoulda mentioned that. Tuesdays I mix lifting with like football practice stuff I remember- up-downs, knee-lifts, and my new favorite, the knee-lift with a medicine ball, where I swing the ball down from over my head and smash it on my knee at the end of a lift.
    you could try some intervals on the elliptical.

back day should be deadlifts, pullups, and some sort of row. you can adjust accordingly depending on strength and abilities due to health.

despite the "if some is good then more is better" mentality drilled in to us, you are most definitely up to your ears in "chronic cardio" my friend. your body probably hates you for it. its far easier to drop a few lbs by cleaning up excess calories than it is to pound away for countless hours on the elliptical. which, in turn, just makes you hungrier. we all understand that fat loss is/can be complicated, but at the end of the day its still primarily calories in vs calories out. eating "pretty well" is one thing. once you get down to those last few lbs, the body will fight like a mofo to hang on to them.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast