Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Critique my business! page 3

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What is HIIT? HIT? I think I saw it written both ways. If that's anything that has to do with like full body kinda movement exercise, aerobic kinda shit that girls do in videos like, I have trouble with that. I know that it makes me heart rate insane, which I was told is counter-productive. I kind of couldn't process why the trainer would tell me one thing (maintain this heart rate) and then another (do this kinda exercise- which puts your heart rate way higher than instructed).
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    What is HIIT?
    Look it up on youtube. It's a workout where you go full-out for a fixed number of seconds, then take a fixed number of seconds to recover.

Never forget that the trainer is working for the club. He is not trying to train you to be a self-directed athlete. He is there to make you dependent on the club so you'll keep renewing your membership, and dependent on him, so maybe you'll start paying him to do sessions. They want clients who quietly come in for a while and go home, not who are so dedicated they monopolize some of the expensive and scarcer equipment and want more floor space.

If you were to reach your goals, so you could just go out and train on your own, he would have failed.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Look it up on youtube. It's a workout where you go full-out for a fixed number of seconds, then take a fixed number of seconds to recover.

Never forget that the trainer is working for the club. He is not trying to train you to be a self-directed athlete. He is there to make you dependent on the club so you'll keep renewing your membership, and dependent on him, so maybe you'll start paying him to do sessions. They want clients who quietly come in for a while and go home, not who are so dedicated they monopolize some of the expensive and scarcer equipment and want more floor space.

If you were to reach your goals, so you could just go out and train on your own, he would have failed.
    Concur. I have some friends who are personal trainers, and they love clients with no self thought mechanism. The robots if you will. They come in to the gym, check in with their trainer, hop on the elliptical for the obligatory 15-30 minute warm-up that the trainer told them to do, the trainer shows up, talks to them while they finish up, go and do some bodyweight stuff, some ridiculous nautilus or some other brand machine, and toss them back on the elliptical for some more cardio. When it comes time for the trainers to get their training done though, they're warming up with jumpropes, or light weight sets. Then they are all over the place, doing circuits, super sets, triple sets, complex movements, tabata drills, etc...

The point being, that as a trainer there job is to keep you coming back, so they keep getting paid.

I pay $10 a month to use the gym. In conversations with the trainers, from just being around the gym, I have made it clear that I am rather frugal, and would never ever pay more than something like that, so, I don't think that anyone is chasing my shekels. Blood from stones.

Is the heart-rate maintenance thing hurting me? Is it burning fat? That's really what I want to know- I can handle the bored part, and nobody that know me here or in real dimensions would ever think that I have "no self thought." I understand and appreciate everyone's skepticism- you are talking to his perfidiousness, after all, the first apostate.

but real concrete like- someone said that after I stop working out like this, I will gain weight. That's a specific and very excellent point that I should consider. But am I definitely yes indeed harming myself? Or is it just not your guys' thing?

I will think of ways to integrate more of your suggestions, I think- I am concerned with total fitness as well as strength and weight loss, so on off days or at odd times through the day, I focus on flexibility and coordination with some kung fu and karate drills that I know. I can just bring that to the gym and do it with more focus, instead of play-time stuff. uuugghggghhhhh I am afraid to look like a tool.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

For ideal cardio conditioning, you need to do 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week. Max, provided you do not have specific sports-oriented goals you wish to achieve.

We read a lot about "fat-burning". Eat this and burn fat. Do this exercise and burn fat. Take this supplement and burn fat.

The fact is that the only time you burn fat is when your stomach is empty and you are out of fuel. Merely existing in that state burns fat. You wake up in the morning in the fasted state, and you stay in that state until you start to eat. Then your body starts looking for food for energy. If you run out, it switches on hunger and you respond by eating.

I always exercise fasted. I never eat a post-workout meal. I've lost fat and I've gained muscle. That might not work for everyone. My personal opinion is that as far as gaining muscle is concerned, I'm genetically gifted for a woman.

A lot of people have found that they do not gain weight when they give up chronic cardio. I think if you're eating a healthy paleo diet, you will simply eat to deal with your hunger, which will go down slightly but less than you think it will.

Isn't that just not true though? Don't you juse lose muscle when you don't eat? I thought that was basic shit...

I can lose my fat by just not eating...? That is soooooo much easier.

My opinion is that the excess time spent on the elliptical is just time wasted. By continuing to eat to your appetite, and perhaps increasing the intensity of your weight lifting, and maybe adding a stroll or two, you can end up in better condition, weighing a little less, and with free time on your hands. What is the value of your time?

Wait a minute...am I confused?

Only you can answer that question.

Alot of the trainers on base here, who are salaried not hourly or per client, recommend circuit courses that incorporate sprints or 800m jogs. Lots of medicine balls, conditioning ropes, kettlebells, etc. Same principles can be applied in the gym with barbells and dumbbells. Step ups and box jumps are good too.

Sent from my IS06 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast