Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Critique my business! page 2

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    then why do people do it?

I don't count calories, because I don't count anything. I am generally anti-quantification and do almost nothing according to counts. I have no patience for it and feel like I am degrading the quality of my life when I quantify. Haha read some Rene Guenon (The Reign of Quantity) I know that it's weird and you won't get it. It probably goes back to when I was a kid and heard the term "credit score" and instinctively objected to being value-ranked numerically like a digital hindu.

I eat a small meal before I lift, then a big one with a lot of fat and protein and no carbs when I get home, then a smaller but similar one later when the wife eats dinner. Throw in some bananas and raisins and nuts as snacks through the day.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Mr Perfidy sir - where have you been ??? welcome back.
    Re your ankle - I also have a really unstable weak ankle, and started doing some closed eye balances a few months back. They have made a huge difference to the strength in that ankle. I close my eyes, balance on one foot and stand like that for 30 or more secs. Its harder than it sounds !!!!!
    Good luck
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

is the heart-rate range not a correct assessment? I was told that in that range, I am burning fat. They advised me to do all this full-body stuff to get that heart rate, but I can tell that it is too high, which I know to be counter-productive. So I thought, "well that range is easy to maintain...I will just get back on the elliptical."
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    Why do people keep "dieting" when it never works? Why do people eat massive quantities of sugar and starch and think it's okay because it's "fat-free"? Why do so many people avoid egg yolks and saturated fat, thinking they are bad for their cholesterol and cause heart disease, when they aren't and don't?

I think mythology is a human constant. When one myth is debunked and eradicated, another will expand or a new one will spring up to take its place.

I meant, I guess, "why do people who are in evident way better shape than me get on the tread-mill and remain on it for the entire time that I am doing my elliptical shit?"

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A lot of those people started out in way better shape than you. People who are just naturally lean and muscular often take credit for the shape of their bodies when they have only made small changes. Or they misjudge what they did that was responsible for changes.

If someone is on a strict diet, and they do lots of cardio because they have been told that the more cardio you do, the more weight you lose, and they lose weight, they may well attribute it to the cardio rather than the diet, too.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post

I don't count calories, because I don't count anything. I am generally anti-quantification and do almost nothing according to counts. I have no patience for it and feel like I am degrading the quality of my life when I quantify. Haha read some Rene Guenon (The Reign of Quantity) I know that it's weird and you won't get it. It probably goes back to when I was a kid and heard the term "credit score" and instinctively objected to being value-ranked numerically like a digital hindu.

I eat a small meal before I lift, then a big one with a lot of fat and protein and no carbs when I get home, then a smaller but similar one later when the wife eats dinner. Throw in some bananas and raisins and nuts as snacks through the day.
    i'm with you. i don't count anything either. but i know that when i want to lean out the last 5-6 vanity lbs for the summer, i just tighten it up a little bit. not as many snacks. maybe not 4 burgers. only 3 instead. little tweaks here and there.

carbs aren't your enemy my friend. post workout shoulw be protein and carbs, very little fat. and reign in the snacking. dried fruit and nuts are straight-up calorie bombs. a few handfulls of each and you're looking at 500-1000 calories that you really didn't need in the first place.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

hmm noted.

Other than the sheer boredom of being on an elliptical machine for that long, I would concur with recommendations to add some HIIT. I might recommend some HOC work, too (heavy object cardio) - take a kettlebell to your elliptical machine and do 20 swings every two minutes, or something like that (assuming your knees can handle swings).

The other thing I thought was a bit odd was bracketing your weights with cardio. I would say a shorter warmup (like 10 minutes), and then a longer or more intense cardio at the end (can you do the stair master with your knees?). This way you will be less tired for the weights, so the poundage could increase - which would be better for long-term calorie burning.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hmm the boredom is an issue sometimes, but that's part of the fun of working out for me like, exercising my will and obeying my commands despite resistance from my rather shifty and lazy mind. Also there are often many asses to look at, and the gym is quite popular with cops, so there is also good idiot conversation to overhear often enough.

I haven't had any trouble with gaining strength doing the weights this way though. On any resistance kinda machines, I have doubled the weight that I work with or more in about 6 months- free-weight wise, my bench and shoulder press has gone up at least 60 pounds so far, and dumbbell sets are now about 50% heavier or more than they were when I started.

I guess I should have made it more clear that I only last week added the 2nd cardio thing. The trainer (did one of those free consultations) pointed out an optimum heart-rate, so I just thought, "well hold it longer..." if I want to burn fat. Is that not correct logic?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast