Thread: Britain's bees get a reprieve page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Britain's bees get a reprieve

Shop Now
    Neonicotinoid pesticides which are "linked to the decline in bee populations" are to be banned throughout the EU:

Bees: European Union Forces Pesticides Ban

This ban is coming from the EU and is in the teeth of opposition from the British Government. To be frank, the EU is usually a bigger menace to the environment and just about everything else (including democracy, security, and the sovereignty of national governments) -- and is, besides, so corrupt that its accounts don't bear looking at.

But for once they've come down on the right side. One wonders why the British Govt have fought this ...

Greenpeace chief scientist Dr Doug Parr accused the British government of "being in the pocket of big chemical companies and the industrial farming lobby".
    Hmm, yes, maybe that's why.

What people don't seem to realise is that bees don't just make honey: they pollinate plants. If all the bees died we really would be in trouble.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    In the US pollination is the main function of bees, it's big money. Every manner of pesticides, fungicides and antibiotics are used within the hives by commercial beekeepers not to mention all the pesticides that are used on the crops the bees visit. The bees are also fed HFCS to keep them alive just long enough to pollinate the crops. When a hive finally kicks the bucket it is replaced with a new hive from the same narrow genetic pool. This new hive moves into the old bee box which is full of toxic beeswax; it's a wonder that bees survive at all. Personally I would never use commercial beeswax, technically the bees are not supposed to be treated with chemicals while there is honey in the hive, they're supposed to wait until after extraction to treat the hives so no residue gets into the honey. We keep our own hives and don't treat them with any chemicals.
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 04-29-2013 at 10:31 AM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    In the US there are small local producers that still do it old school... or new school. Whatever you want to call it to pay attention and care about your livestock.
    Not the huge business guys mind you who haul semi-trailers of bees from orchard to orchard nonstop and such... but there are bee keepers who are not just small with a few personal hives, and are big enough to produce a decent saleable amount of honey(some local and raw and some to bigger sources for market packaging) who also care very much about the state of the bee in America and don't chem them up. I know several of them who my husband grew up with in the Ag business here in FL orange territory.
    All of them care very much about their hives and the problems with pesticides, CCD, and not contributing to the causes of this problem including alternate feeding and medication practices (i.e. no HFCS and using essential oils/mineral salts instead of meds for mites). Small family business people, kind of like the ones raising pastured pork, beef, etc through best practices.

Of course, we could also WISH that the US would join in this ban... but.
    With the recent "Monsanto Protection Act" atrocity getting ushered through, what are the chances of any such good happening here...
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-29-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    What people don't seem to realise is that bees don't just make honey: they pollinate plants. If all the bees died we really would be in trouble.
    Bees aren't the only things that pollinate crops. But, if poisons kill bees, might they not kill the other pollinators too?

There was a bee keeper on the news last night stating that it's likely farmers will just go back to spraying with older chemicals. If the farms owned by The Queen's oldest lad can make money when being organic, I'm sure others could too.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.